S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2 words : It broke

Old 10-15-2000, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, Vapor. Not one thing, it's another...

-S2-
Old 10-15-2000, 05:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RandyP:
[B]This is at least the third differential that I have heard about breaking.
Old 10-15-2000, 05:24 AM

Bummahhh, how long for the new parts to arrive?

------------------
Old 10-15-2000, 05:27 AM

I've been talking about my diff. from day one. It makes a whining noise under certain loads, and the noise frequency matches vehicle speed.

My differential has been replaced once at 2000 miles, back in January.
When I got it back, the noise was pretty much gone. But, about a week later it started coming back. It was much quieter this time, but it was still there.
It only took them two days to get it on. The part was already there, and from my understanding, it didn't take long to get it.

The tech. told me that when he drained the fluid from my first diff. he saw all kinds of metal on the drain plug (which is magnetic).

This new one continues to make noise, and is getting louder. I now have 10,000 miles on my car, and I've had it in twice now for them to look at this very problem, in addition to the transmission grind (pre TSB00-055).

I had it in at about 6500 miles, and they claimed that they couldn't hear any noises on their test drive. I said fine, just wait, it will get louder.

At 8000 miles, I came back, this time it was substantially louder. He (same tech that replaced it the first time) said he heard a "little" noise, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Now, the noise is getting louder and louder, and happening under more conditions than ever. As I said, I now have 10+ K miles, so it's time for another visit.
Apparently, Vapor, you and I have similar problems, although I have never heard a clunk. But I fear that one day, I will be in your shoes.

Paul
Old 10-15-2000, 05:54 AM

Well, Vapor - I look at it like this. You have had an s2000 and you enjoyed it ,but there are tons of great cars from which to choose a replacement. Everybody should understand that sometimes things break especially when a vehicle is in its first year model. Vapor could have gotten a defective diff or Honda could have fault in their design either way only time and miles will tell. Anyway, enjoy the search for a new vehicle if you decide to sell the s2k. What do you guys think about the upcoming Z or the E46 M3 ?
Old 10-15-2000, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc:
Bummer! Let us know how she drives after the surgury. I hope that a new drivetrain puts the glow back in the relationship for you.
Maybe it will, you never know. Another interesting note is that after it started making differential noises, I had dyno'd it and it dyno'd substantially lower (192whp, in cooler temps, vs 211 only 6k miles ago in warmer temps) - I'm guessing due to the increased friction in the drivetrain. I was also about due for an oil change, which could have had something to do with it. I'll have to dyno it once again after the dif replacement and break in. Can't wait til Monday to talk to the dealer

Harvey - it sounds like you have a serious case for a lemon law. 3 trys at the same repair or 30 days in the shop in one year qualifies you. Don't know if you want to pursue it, but I thought I'd let you know. The dealer seems to have treated you mildly well for the most part. I hope I have the same experience.
Old 10-15-2000, 09:12 AM

V.T.,I'm also sorry to hear of your misfortune. This episode has me wondering about a noise that my Stook has just developed. It's a single click that sounds like you just snapped your toungue down off of the roof of your mouth. It only happens at take off. Either in first, or reverse. The tech at the dealer said it sounds to him like a brake lubrication problem, and as I was about to paint my calipers anyway, I took the opportunity to inspect, clean and re-lube the wear points. It's still making the noise.

Does this sound like anything you might have experienced before your diff. failure?

Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 10-15-2000, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All right, since the other thread was locked before I had an opportunity to reply.

Man, than sucks. I am really sorry that you are having trouble with your s2k. I don't wish trouble with anyone or his or her stook. And I look forward to hearing what they find the problem to be.

What ****ed me off so much about you post is the fact that, you alone have had this failure, no one else, but you talk up as if EVERY S2K is flawed, that we all drive cars that are going to be dead in a couple of years. And to top it off you want to sell the car because it is a POS. In a nutshell.
If this claim was based on multiple cars all having the same problem, them you might be justified if you prediction that all had this problem. But you don't, so all you do is help spread bull-shit rumors about our cars.

John, You have put yourself/allowed yourself to put in to a position of High clout and power in our little stook world. And you should be more considerate and thoughtful to the rest of us.

If you want to sell the car, fine! Sell it and go quietly.

Rylan
Old 10-15-2000, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vapor,
couple of quick questions.
How many miles on car?
vin?
build-date?
purchase-date?
you said before that you were going to change/check the diff oil. did you? and if so did you find anything abnormal?

-r
Old 10-15-2000, 09:25 AM

Let us NOT allow this to turn into a cluster, people...

Quick Reply: 2 words : It broke