S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2004 Windshield Pitted

Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Windshield Pitted

I'm wondering if my windshield is original. Would any others with a 2004 mind telling me what your windshield is labeled on the driver's side in the corner?

I would also like to know about other people's experience having their windshields replaced. Should I order rubber parts first for the installer? I want it to look stock.

When the sun is in my face my windshield looks very pitted. I also have a small crack on the passenger side.

Thoughts from anyone with experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I have an 09 with 63K now. I have been reluctant to replace the windshield despite pits and rock impacts. I purchased a liter bottle of 3M Professional glass polish on Amazon ($65) and matched that with Chemical Guy pads and my Porter Cable DA.
I have polished it 3 times now over the past 2 years. It gets better and better.

You use a very small amount of polish so that bottle will last until the undertaker uses some of it to polish my casket.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I have an 09 with 63K now. I have been reluctant to replace the windshield despite pits and rock impacts. I purchased a liter bottle of 3M Professional glass polish on Amazon ($65) and matched that with Chemical Guy pads and my Porter Cable DA.
I have polished it 3 times now over the past 2 years. It gets better and better.

You use a very small amount of polish so that bottle will last until the undertaker uses some of it to polish my casket.
Well that's a thought. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only OEM windshields will say Honda in the drivers side lower corner.

Some installers allow you to choose between OEM and aftermarket for both the glass and the trim, call around to find out the difference in price. I've seen aftermarket rubber trim that is better than OEM. The OEM rubber trim sometimes has a problem laying flat. Sorting out the quality of aftermarket windshields by reading internet reviews is nearly impossible because the windshield industry changes so fast. Best to check the design/quality of the glass and trim before you start the installation.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by s2ka
Only OEM windshields will say Honda in the drivers side lower corner.

Some installers allow you to choose between OEM and aftermarket for both the glass and the trim, call around to find out the difference in price. I've seen aftermarket rubber trim that is better than OEM. The OEM rubber trim sometimes has a problem laying flat. Sorting out the quality of aftermarket windshields by reading internet reviews is nearly impossible because the windshield industry changes so fast. Best to check the design/quality of the glass and trim before you start the installation.
Sounds like trying to research and buy a mattress.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I have had my windshield replaced on my '03 three times due to cracks. The glass installer I used had the right trim parts and I can't tell the difference from the original. A good glass installer knows what they're doing.

Personally I'd try polishing your windshield up and living with it since windshields are expensive and it will likely crack eventually from a small chip which you can claim on insurance.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
I have had my windshield replaced on my '03 three times due to cracks. The glass installer I used had the right trim parts and I can't tell the difference from the original. A good glass installer knows what they're doing.

Personally I'd try polishing your windshield up and living with it since windshields are expensive and it will likely crack eventually from a small chip which you can claim on insurance.
Thanks.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

My windshield ID numbers. Replaced two years ago.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I just had mine replaced. Went with aftermarket glass and trim. OEM parts were ridiculously expensive and no better than aftermarket (they often come out of the same factory). Even with glass protection through Progressive I'd have to shell out over $600 to get OEM parts.
The key is getting a good installer to do the work. No, the aftermarket rubber trim is not identical to OEM but guess how many people will point that out?
Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I just had mine replaced. Went with aftermarket glass and trim. OEM parts were ridiculously expensive and no better than aftermarket (they often come out of the same factory). Even with glass protection through Progressive I'd have to shell out over $600 to get OEM parts.
The key is getting a good installer to do the work. No, the aftermarket rubber trim is not identical to OEM but guess how many people will point that out?
How much did you pay and who did it?

Pictures please!

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2004 Windshield Pitted