S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2004 Windshield Pitted

Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The windshield on the S is so upright they just take a lot of abuse and get pitted quickly.

I've had three windshields over the years due to pitting more than anything, but I've also had some rock chips filled. The aftermarket trim I have on the car now seems much better than the OEM - it is bigger but seems to actually seal better - and the glass is aftermarket with no issues, but I have had other cars where I needed OEM over aftermarket.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The windshield on the S is so upright they just take a lot of abuse and get pitted quickly.

I've had three windshields over the years due to pitting more than anything, but I've also had some rock chips filled. The aftermarket trim I have on the car now seems much better than the OEM - it is bigger but seems to actually seal better - and the glass is aftermarket with no issues, but I have had other cars where I needed OEM over aftermarket.
I just got an estimate from Safelight at only $200 for everything. I just booked it. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:05 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by gkantziper
I just got an estimate from Safelight at only $200 for everything. I just booked it. Thanks.
Check the glass before they install it. Safelite replaced mine last fall, the first windshield they brought out was aftermarket and had issues with the laminate so the installer wouldn't put it in. I ended up with a Honda OE glass for no additional cost.

APTech was the aftermarket glass that was defective, seems a lot of them are.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

My 02 has very low miles and the windshield is in perfect condition except the rubber trim around the outside would not lay flat. I tried to repair it following a procedure recommended by honda repair manual or maybe it was a honda release of some kind. No luck. I brought it to a glass shop for help. They ended up putting some silicone under the trim that would not lay flat. I'm not happy with the job. They put too much silicone on it and it looks sloppy. I considered having them pull the windshield and reinstall it using new Honda OEM trim. I decided against it. I'll just live with it for now. Maybe down the road if it gets pitted or cracked I will just get a new windshield.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

AGC Automotive Lamisafe glass. Seem to supply some of Honda's windshields. You may be able to get them direct.

Laminated Glass Lamisafe™
Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Check the glass before they install it. Safelite replaced mine last fall, the first windshield they brought out was aftermarket and had issues with the laminate so the installer wouldn't put it in. I ended up with a Honda OE glass for no additional cost.

APTech was the aftermarket glass that was defective, seems a lot of them are.
To add to this point, angle the glass as it would be when you'll be looking through it and make sure there is no distortion at an angle. I've had to go with OEM over aftermarket before because while the glass looked fine straight on, once it was placed in the vehicle, the angle and my eye line had distortions.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a tiny scratch in mine 04 (45K miles). The screen was pitted as hell before that so I decided to see if it would be worth my while to replace it. I went to safelite. They gave me a quote for $300 (after market). This is in NOVA area.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

To add to this point, angle the glass as it would be when you'll be looking through it and make sure there is no distortion at an angle. I've had to go with OEM over aftermarket before because while the glass looked fine straight on, once it was placed in the vehicle, the angle and my eye line had distortions.
One other item. Not sure how it occurs in manufacturing but a repeating pattern of marks, squares, or something, can be seen in certain light especially with non, polarized glass.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I've also had this happen (non S vehicle). I checked the windshield over carefully before install too. I tried to look through at an angle specifically to look for side distortions, and it seemed fine. Once installed though, distortions were obvious. Be extra careful with this, and don't be afraid to reject and insist on a do-over if glass isn't right.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove the car home yesterday from Safelight. I went there instead of having them come to me and was told by my tech that was a good idea. Mobile techs travel solo so there isn't anyone to assist them and that is sometimes a plus. Also, the more seasoned tech's have the better "duty" at the office. I have only had a few minutes of "seat time" but the new non-OEM windshield is beautiful. Cost just under $200. The molding appears to be better than the OEM molding that was reused on the last non-OEM windshield I just got rid of. I thought it was cheap.