S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AEM CAI Installed :):) Im happy!

Old 10-21-2001, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM CAI Installed :):) Im happy!

Well, I installed my AEM CAI today.
Install:
The install was not that bad. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR FRONT BUMPER. I was worried about that, but I managed to install it fine without removing my front bumper. I did have to remove the underpanels to attach the 2nd tube, but that was it. My one recomendation would be, LET YOUR CAR COOL DOWN BEFORE REMOVING HOSES! My friend was in a pretty big hurry and we started removing everything a few minutes after driving. We removed the stock intake box in a sec and my friend starting taking off hoses and then removed the coolant hose and it shot all over his hand. I was dieing laghing but I think he was pretty hurt, but it didnt stop us for long. The intake didn't really take long at all to install, it was mainly removing all the underpanels and crap down there. It would be a lot easier the 2nd time around since I know what to do now. The 2 piece design really came in handy because we just slid it on from underneath the car and that was it. It looks great under the hood. There is a HUGE open area where the stock air box was, I feel like I need some kind of decoration there or something.
Impressions:
Well, the sound is awsome...but not what I expected. On my Celica and M3 the intakes made a pretty loud, low end growl and had a deep tone to them throughout the power band. Well, it may be because of my exhaust but the intake sounds really good, but not that loud below vtec. You can definately hear it, but my exhaust kind of over powers it. It has a nice hiss to it and when you hit the throttle it gives you a little louder hiss. It has a pretty racy tone to it until 5-6000rpm, then WATCH OUT! This intake sounds so SWEET at VTEC! It makes my car sound even more like a motorcycle now. I love it! It is hard to describe but it has a prominent higher pitched engine sound, like a bike, unlike the deep growl my celica, M3 and unlike my friends 00 Prelude with AEM intake has. I love it! I am never a great judge of the butt dyno, but when I did a run to about 85 I could definately feel a difference. I felt some good low-mid end improvement but where I felt it most was in the upper gears, like 3rd. It felt to pull harder at higher speeds.
All I can say is that this is a great product for a great price. I think this is a good deal for under $300. I am very happy with my AEM CAI!
-Brandon
Old 10-21-2001, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the post, but where's the pictures?
Old 10-22-2001, 07:44 AM

I COULD post pictures, but you can take a look at Phantom's...it looks identical to mine and he already did all of the picture work.
-Brandon
Old 10-22-2001, 07:59 AM

Sweet....
Old 10-22-2001, 08:14 AM

How did you handle getting air to the filter? Did you cut the fake brake duct, the plastic piece beside the radiator, or both? Do you think that we have to cut anything to get good airflow?

Tanq
Old 10-22-2001, 09:16 AM

brandonb,

I don't know how you installed the AEM without taking out the bumper...but good job anyway!

Tanqueray,

I removed the front fake brake duct with my AEM install.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...?threadid=32372

I used some plastic to shield water being blown on to it...

Old 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the write-up! I just installed mine after reading that you didn't even take the front bumper off. You don't need to take it off at all.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 PM

are u sure u could really "feel" the power increase? cause most times it's prob. just in your head. either way i know what you mean about the big empty space...i looked at a s2k for sale which already had the intake installed and i was wondering why there was so much space. as long as ur happy w/ the results thas all that matters.