S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

alarms

Old 10-12-2000, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good alarm system? I didn't buy the additional option when i bought my car
Old 10-12-2000, 09:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In Australia the only alarm to buy is QuikTrak. It has an additional immobiliser, ultrasonic sensors for whe nthe roofs down and automatically arms when left with the ignition off for 45 secs (doesn't enable the microwave movement sensor though).

But the best thing is that if the vehicle is stolen, and the theif manages to override the immobilisers QuikTrak can track the vehicle and disable it after notifying the police. Infact they work with the Police so that when the Police tell them they are on the vehicle QuikTrak disable it.

If you lock your keys in the car (not such a big problem with the S) you can call QuikTrak and they unlock it for you remotely.

Also has both a panic button, and a toggle which automatically calls your road service provider and gives them your location.

Not only that but the insurance company I'm with likes it so much they gave me a 12% discount on my premium, and the alarm company gave me a 25% discount because I was referred by the insurance company.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:01 AM

I put in a Hofco. They're located in Culver City. Make sure you get the radar option so the alarm will go off if someone puts their hand in the car while the top is down.

I've had Hofco's in all my cars and have been really happy with them
Old 10-17-2000, 08:10 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Really depends on what you want it for. My priority was to have some protection when parked but to also have a perimeter alarm if the top was down. I had a Viper installed and the cost was less than $275. While some have expressed problems with false alarms, mine has not had one in 4 months.

Others swear by Clifford but don't know where you can get them now. I remember they were in chapter 11. I recall seeing something about DEI buying them. DEI also produces Viper.

If you want to get into tracking and remote paging then you will have to go to the highends.

Jim
Old 10-17-2000, 08:11 AM

Poks2k, any idea as to how much the remote paging stuff might cost?

Jay
Old 10-17-2000, 08:12 AM

where did you get your viper w/ proximity for that price? which model did you buy?
Old 10-17-2000, 01:34 PM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

I got the 300 ESP. Base model with the Proximity sensor.

I had it done at a shop near ReedZ, AudioMotion. They have a good business and seem to know what they are doing.

Since I had heard that the proximity sensors can give some people trouble, I had it installed on the door of the glove box velcro and the elastic strap. In this location I could also disconnect it easily if for some reason it did trigger false alarms. The Viper sensor does NOT fit under the elbow rest without cutting, I think that Pinky's Clifford does fit. I also put in Velcro on the bottom of the glove box and leave it there most of the time since it projects the coverage area better, but if the box is being used then the door atually works pretty well, but won't cover anything behind it since it is aimed forward.

Someone else posted that they had paid close to $300 at Circuit City, but I think that they had problems with the prox. sensor and left it disconnected.

Jay, I think that the pager is around $125 or so (could be $150). I asked the shop about it and they were very honest and said that it works well for things like garden apartments or at parks, but will not work all of the time if you are in the middle of an office building or the mall.

People on this board have also talked about the high end Clfford which has a more sophisticated system, but the cost is probably also alot higher. I didn't see the need for it since my work location is very secure and the car is kept in my garage at home.

Jim