S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Another s2000 wrecked

Old 04-16-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your misfortune

btw...

Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by TeKNiC330,Apr 16 2007, 11:47 AM
You do have a good chance of the car being totaled from the description you gave.

Airbags aren't cheap.
Really there not that as expensive as you think. It's more of a myth that if the airbags deployed it's totaled. At w/s they run between 150.00- 600.00 each really not that much.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM

dam this story is depressing. I hope you kept all of your receipts.

It it were me I would hope that my car is totalled.I wouldn't want my babied car returned all bruised and battered. It will never be the same even after being fixed.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Keith, this sucks to the max, but as soon as I read this part of your post ...

Originally Posted by KeithMajkasays,Apr 16 2007, 09:54 AM
... was immediately passed by someone doing high speeds and was cutoff, then spun the car out of control, up onto a curb, and into a lightpole and fence.
... I knew exactly what had happened. Either the wind from that passing speeder picked your car up like a tornado and trashed it, or the idiot behind the wheel tried to race your car on cold tires and lost control. Given that we are talking about a car rather than a feather the tornado theory quite lieterally doesn't fly.

Please Keith, get a good lawyer and squeeze as much out of both the tire shop and the guy who actually trashed your car as you can. Take 'em both to court. I'm sure the tool that trashed your car doens't have a pot to piss in, but sue him anyway and get the biggest out of court settlement I could. It's almost a given that he won't be able to fight you in court and will be advised by his lawyer (if he can afford one) to try to reach a settlement. Let the idiot fork over a few grand over the next few years in addition to the fines he's going to get. Try to get enough to replace the car even if it isn't totaled. If you get the right lawyer you can probably take these clowns to the cleaners, and in such cases I think that would be fully justified.

BTW, I'd also look into criminal charges, since their lying to you over the phone about the accident might constiture fraud.

This wasn't even my car, but I'm officially pissed.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:24 PM

yahhh i get paranoid when i take my car for repair or like oil change cuhz some people do like taking the car out for a spin or two before bringing it in... ill always write down the mileage before dropping it off....
Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by gello2024,Apr 16 2007, 10:24 PM
yahhh i get paranoid when i take my car for repair or like oil change cuhz some people do like taking the car out for a spin or two before bringing it in... ill always write down the mileage before dropping it off....
There are only two people at CCR who are allowed to drive my car, and at the Ford dealer that does our alignment everyone knows the CCR cars and our alignment guy is the only person there who is allowed to drive any of them. With the SC/AC, gears, KAAZ, and RPSS, I've gotten a lot more cautious about who drives the car now, becuase it's even more tempting and less forgiving now than it was when it was stock. Some of the guys I autocross with are actually afraid to drive my car.

Modifry has a free mod on his Web site that counts the number of times VTEC is engaged. Also, if you get a Modifry shift beeper, it records the highest RPM reached (between resets) and also has a valet mode that will set off an alarm if some asshat exceeds the RPM you select (I have mine set to something like 4,500 RPM and have a 140dB alarm that goes off if anyone exceeds that speed while the valet mode is engaged. I get a recording of the highest rev since I dropped the car off (because I reset the memory when I leave the car) and I have a count of how many times they VTECed the car (and it should usually be zero) by simply writing down the count when I drop the car. Even though I trust the people who are allowed to drive my car I still like having a record of what was done while the car was in other hands, and the valet mode is just cool.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 PM

I wonder what would have happened if the OP had installed a Modifry beeper and had engaged valet mode when he dropped off the car. It may not have changed anything, but when the guy took off to race, the car would have started screaming loudly at 4,500 RPM and it would have most certainly have scared the crap out of the guy. Even if he mistook it for a RADAR detector going off, he'd probably have gotten out of the gas before hitting VTEC, and the accident *may* have been prevented.

I never thought about the valet mode of the beeper that much before, but now I realize that it really could keep my car out of an accident some day. Guys, this is a GREAT mod.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 PM

what city are you in? NW somewhere I'm guessing? PDX? Which Schwab?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Sorry for your loss. I think we all have a fear of something like this happening to us.

I dropped my car off once and had a tech ask me if I was staying around or not so that he would know if he could do donuts in my car. He was smiling as if he were joking but his body language indicated that he was sizing me up to see if he could get away with it were he caught.

I did not smile or acknowledge his response. I simply replied "that reminds me, I need to get my gun out of the car."

I went and ate across the street so that I could watch just to be sure.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 PM

I am never one for suing, but in this case, go all out and sue the heck out of them. Firstly, if they go for a test drive, it should be a test drive. They shouldn't be testing the limits of the car.

The shop and the manager are responsible for your car. The manager probably saw the car drive off with this loser and didn't say a thing.

Its not about the money you get from suing them. Its about making a point and ensuring that they learn their lesson. This way when the next guy drops his/her car off, they will be more careful with what they allow.

Quick Reply: Another s2000 wrecked