S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Another s2000 wrecked

Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear Keith, make sure you get what you want. I wouldnt be comfortable with a repaired car. good luck with it!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

errr.... make it known to the shop manager that you do want a test drive and you want this test drive performed only by him. Have him agree before leaving the shop.
We are always placed into a position that we have to trust someone at sometime. This is the person that has everything to lose with any type of misshap. A slight roll of the dice I know, but so is the entirity of life.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by pran76,Apr 17 2007, 12:59 AM
I am never one for suing, but in this case, go all out and sue the heck out of them. Firstly, if they go for a test drive, it should be a test drive. They shouldn't be testing the limits of the car.

The shop and the manager are responsible for your car. The manager probably saw the car drive off with this loser and didn't say a thing.

Its not about the money you get from suing them. Its about making a point and ensuring that they learn their lesson. This way when the next guy drops his/her car off, they will be more careful with what they allow.
Exactly! If they'd been up front when they first call about the accident I might be more inclined to cut them some slack, but trying to BS me would have upset me enough to have me calling my lawyer. We have too darn many lawsuits as it is, but that doesn't mean that it is never justified, and in this case I believe it is fully justified.

I'm just guessing, but I'll bet their insurance company will want a quick settlement and will be pretty liberal in order to get it (at least if pushed a little).

OP, don't settle too quickly.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:58 PM
s_verizon

Damn that sucks.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for the kind and helpful words. Let me try to add a few things just to help clarify.

For the person asking where I live....Salt Lake City, UT

As for the wreck itself, a few things:

It never even crossed my mind that a test drive would be needed after an alignment. I have had many alignments in many different cars and I dont recall any of them being test driven. Because of this, I didnt really feel the need to specify "no test driving the car" which was obviously my mistake.

This wreck happened about 3-400 yds from the Les Schwab. He pretty much made it out of the parking lot and down to the car dealership next building down. Just by looking at the area its pretty obvious he gunned it out of the parking lot while spinning the the cold tires (was about 55 degrees out at the time), lost control and wrecked it. Witnesses claim the second he pulled out he was fishtailing the back end and spinning the tires. My guess is he has little to no experience with a RWD car. Everytime I drive by the scene on my way to and from work I almost start laughing. Im not sure I could have wrecked the car like he did even if I wanted to. With the short distance and the large amount of damage, its almost surreal.

In regards to the phone call I received from Les Schwab, who knows if the guy was lying or not. It was clearly not the true story, but the guy that called did not see the wreck and probably only knew what the tech that wrecked my car told him. Its obvious the tech wasnt going to tell the real story, I mean how many people in america actually take credit for their stupid actions these days . Luckily the witnesses were nice enough to stop and help out.

To all posters saying get a laywer, that is still a viable option and may be the route I go. At this point I am waiting to hear if the car is totalled or not. Im not sure litigation is the way to go if they can just pay me off for the cars worth, depreciation, and all my aftermarket parts. Arguably thats about all you can ask for in this situation...A new car and reimbursement for all money invested.

As for pictures, sorry sorry sorry for the delay. With work 8-5 then numerous prior engagements afterwards, its been hard to find time to run over to the tow yard and snap some pics. I promise to post some ASAP.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Great example of where VSA and DBW Throttle could really have saved lots of trouble. If the mechanic was driving an 06 not only would he have not spun the rear and had the accident, he would have won the race...

Also there are lots of simple way a lawyer could help. Just paying a lawyer $250 to write a nasty letter would probably pay for itself in the long run.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by KeithMajkasays,Apr 17 2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind and helpful words. Let me try to add a few things just to help clarify.

For the person asking where I live....Salt Lake City, UT

As for the wreck itself, a few things:

It never even crossed my mind that a test drive would be needed after an alignment. I have had many alignments in many different cars and I dont recall any of them being test driven. Because of this, I didnt really feel the need to specify "no test driving the car" which was obviously my mistake.

This wreck happened about 3-400 yds from the Les Schwab. He pretty much made it out of the parking lot and down to the car dealership next building down. Just by looking at the area its pretty obvious he gunned it out of the parking lot while spinning the the cold tires (was about 55 degrees out at the time), lost control and wrecked it. Witnesses claim the second he pulled out he was fishtailing the back end and spinning the tires. My guess is he has little to no experience with a RWD car. Everytime I drive by the scene on my way to and from work I almost start laughing. Im not sure I could have wrecked the car like he did even if I wanted to. With the short distance and the large amount of damage, its almost surreal.

In regards to the phone call I received from Les Schwab, who knows if the guy was lying or not. It was clearly not the true story, but the guy that called did not see the wreck and probably only knew what the tech that wrecked my car told him. Its obvious the tech wasnt going to tell the real story, I mean how many people in america actually take credit for their stupid actions these days . Luckily the witnesses were nice enough to stop and help out.

To all posters saying get a laywer, that is still a viable option and may be the route I go. At this point I am waiting to hear if the car is totalled or not. Im not sure litigation is the way to go if they can just pay me off for the cars worth, depreciation, and all my aftermarket parts. Arguably thats about all you can ask for in this situation...A new car and reimbursement for all money invested.

As for pictures, sorry sorry sorry for the delay. With work 8-5 then numerous prior engagements afterwards, its been hard to find time to run over to the tow yard and snap some pics. I promise to post some ASAP.
Glad to hear you are not sue happy, I agree get what is fair for you and only sue if they don't bend over backwards to make it right. Good luck and I am sure they will do what is right as they have too much too loose. The tech is just an idiot and hopefully he lost his job and the tickets are enough to teach him a lesson, if not a lawsuit surely won't!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by __redruM,Apr 17 2007, 08:27 AM
Great example of where VSA and DBW Throttle could really have saved lots of trouble. If the mechanic was driving an 06 not only would he have not spun the rear and had the accident, he would have won the race...

That made me laugh!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

I want a whole new car, not the damage car that is going to be fix. Try to get as much as possible then get a new S.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by __redruM,Apr 17 2007, 08:27 AM
...and he'd have never known the tech was abusing the hell outta his car...

Quick Reply: Another s2000 wrecked