S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Any interest in a high quality hardtop?

Old 05-23-2023, 01:14 PM
Jub

Received 389 Likes on 311 Posts

This is a really stupid argument. If you were correct, there would not be multiple threads about people wanting hardtops. If you were correct, hardtops would be decreasing in value and not increasing. Increasing prices demonstrates that there is more demand than there is supply. I never said that every S owner wants a hardtop because I'm not projecting my desires onto others. The demand # is not every S2k owner. Just because people seldom use them doesn't mean they don't want them. Why don't they sell them then? Like I said before, they usually hold onto them until they sell the car.

I don't think there's a market for a *premium* hardtop above OEM value that doesn't have a Mugen or Spoon badge of authenticity. I think the supply of hardtops that undercut OEM prices but need to be spread across your chest to bend into the proper shape is already accounted for. I think there is demand for a hardtop that meets good NVH standards, weighs same as OEM, seals like OEM, and undercuts OEM prices by > $1k.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:45 AM

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

While I agree there isn't a market for a premium hardtop I disagree with the statement that there isn't demand for hardtops in general. I deleted my soft top and put on a hard and have several friends that did the same. I also know people that want a hardtop but can't afford one.

I personally bought this car (and my previous miatas) despite the fact it is a convertible, not because of it. There are not many two seat, rwd, double wishbone, fully adjustable alignment, and lsd equipped cars out there.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:06 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
This is a really stupid argument. If you were correct, there would not be multiple threads about people wanting hardtops. If you were correct, hardtops would be decreasing in value and not increasing. Increasing prices demonstrates that there is more demand than there is supply. I never said that every S owner wants a hardtop because I'm not projecting my desires onto others.
Listen to me now and believe me later, Scrub. No one ever said that there wasn't more demand than there were OEM hardtop out there. It's my opinion that the market, however, would be limited as more owners do not want one than do.

I have no issue if someone wants or buys an OEM hardtop. If someone wants one, knock yourself out and buy one if you can afford and justify it.

It's an internet car forum. You can state your beliefs. I'm stating my opinion. Take it or leave it. I don't care. But this has wandered off topic and I don't want to disrespect the OP.

Last edited by SheDrivesIt; 05-24-2023 at 06:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jub (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:40 AM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I definitely don't agree with your sentiment about not caring about fitment and nvh, that's a fairly stupid generalization to make. I had a Mugen (authentic) hardtop for 15 years with zero issues, and I have an oem HT.
For better or worse, the field of marketing requires making broad generalizations, which obviously do not apply to everyone.

In this case, my opinion is, generally, people that prioritize light weight hardtop are into track days, and for them its all about performance, thus fitment and nvh aren't even secondary they're tertiary.

As Alfred in one of the Batman movies sarcastically said, this will appeal to the billionaire spelunking, base jumping crowd.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I appreciate the different perspectives! Thank you.

My takeaways are,
- some S2000 owners love the convertible and have no interest in a hardtop.
- if one is prioritizing lightweight, it’s likely track use focused so fitment & nvh are less important.
- Mugen & Amuse makes great ones and the names have value for buyers.

I doubt I will find a path to produce at or above OEM quality for lower than market OEM hardtop prices.

There might be a handful of potential buyers. Likely not worth exploring (all 4 of mine have hardtops already). I was looking for ways to keep the S2000 passion going forever as it’s a truly special car and no more like it will be built by major manufacturers.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
I appreciate the different perspectives! Thank you.

My takeaways are,
- some S2000 owners love the convertible and have no interest in a hardtop.
- if one is prioritizing lightweight, it’s likely track use focused so fitment & nvh are less important.
- Mugen & Amuse makes great ones and the names have value for buyers.

I doubt I will find a path to produce at or above OEM quality for lower than market OEM hardtop prices.

There might be a handful of potential buyers. Likely not worth exploring (all 4 of mine have hardtops already). I was looking for ways to keep the S2000 passion going forever as it’s a truly special car and no more like it will be built by major manufacturers.
I agree with your takeaways from the previous comments. I bought my Mugen HT in 2011, directly from King Motorsports. I believe they are still available from this source in limited quantities. Then as now, Mugen produces a very limited number of the HT’s annually. If they sell out of that year’s production run, you’ll need to wait until the following year. They are still available new at around $4k with factory hardware, and an astounding fit and finish level. Mugen fiber-reinforced polymer tops require painting so there is that expense as well. I’m not sure the Mugen pure CF tops are still available. At $8k, that’s quite a stretch for most S2k owners. The current pricing on OEM tops make the genuine Mugen or Spoon Sports tops the best option IMO.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Mugen is OEM. Being the racing division of Honda, any parts produced by Mugen are OEM.

Last edited by ThomCat; 05-25-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:25 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I believe that Mugen is a completely separate entity from Honda although they were founded by the son of Soichiro Honda and, I believe, work exclusively with Honda. They are not Honda Racing.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
I believe that Mugen is a completely separate entity from Honda although they were founded by the son of Soichiro Honda and, I believe, work exclusively with Honda. They are not Honda Racing.
I’ll look into that, thanks for mentioning they may not be owned by Honda. I know Mugen was founded by S Honda’s son. Doesn’t Mugen make the F1 engines for Honda? f If the company is owned by Honda, then I’ll stick with my original statement about OEM. I’ll see what I can find out. Or I suppose I could just call King Motorsports.

Edit: Well I answered my own questions. Hirotoshi Honda (still the largest stockholder in Honda) owns Mugen Motorsports. Honda Inc. has no monetary interest or control over Mugen. Mugen makes racing engines for many entities, but primarily acts in collaboration with Honda, and as a staging ground for Honda racing engines. So Mugen parts are technically not OEM Honda.

Last edited by ThomCat; 05-28-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:56 PM

Received 419 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Positive responses to this thread will provide an indicator of demand which I fear won't be enough to generate an additional aftermarket roof demand for the tiny S2000 market especially if it's more expensive than the current tops. Current quality appears to meet demand and current manufacturers don't see a market or they'd be available now. If you can hit the eBay price point of the Miata hard tops ($350 - $1,200) there may be a market. In effect the eBay Miata roof market indicates low demand for hard tops on another roadster.

The laws of supply and demand will be at work and in this case there is currently statistically No supply and No demand.

Seems like a good study project for a business college marketing course but as I typed this I got visions of Rodney Dangerfield.

-- Chuck
OEM Miata hardtops sell for $1500-3000 these days, quickly. They’re ripoffs, just like S2000 hardtops but proportionally to how much less expensive the Miata is.

You really do not have to post about every topic! If you must, please do some research first.
kos (06-09-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 02:33 PM

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomCat
I’ll look into that, thanks for mentioning they may not be owned by Honda. I know Mugen was founded by S Honda’s son. Doesn’t Mugen make the F1 engines for Honda? f If the company is owned by Honda, then I’ll stick with my original statement about OEM. I’ll see what I can find out. Or I suppose I could just call King Motorsports. Edit: Well I answered my own questions. Hirotoshi Honda (still the largest stockholder in Honda) owns Mugen Motorsports. Honda Inc. has no monetary interest or control over Mugen. Mugen makes racing engines for many entities, but primarily acts in collaboration with Honda, and as a staging ground for Honda racing engines. So Mugen parts are technically not OEM Honda.
One of my favorite Youtube channels for a while was JDM Masters and he was at a meet that had Mugen reps there. Just made me think of this video

Also there is always Honda Pro Jason

ThomCat (06-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Any interest in a high quality hardtop?