S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1 or AP2

Old 03-29-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

In us ap2 also got revised rear control arms.

When people hear the term 'suspension' they often think it refers to shocks and springs or coilovers. This is really a misuse of the term, that has nonetheless gained wide use.

Suspension means any/all the parts, control arms, bushings, shocks, balljoints, etc. The spring rates and shocks changed eveey two years in us. The suspension only changed once, in '04.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
I was just referring to this from the stickies in the introductions section: Maybe one of you can correct the info if it's wrong. Thanks
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/introduc...2005-a-483593/
Levi
Thank for your post, very helpfull
Old 03-30-2017, 01:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing all this info, I had no idea either.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
While it is somewhat convenient to think of 2004 and later cars (styling changed) as AP2s, according to Honda AP1 or AP2 refer to the engine, not chassis. The face lift cars in the US got the 2.2L AP2 engine (as noted in the VIN) and the rest of the world kept the AP1 2.0L engine, again as noted in the VIN. Japanese JDM cars got the AP2 engine in 2007 (?) but I don't know JDM VINs. Only so many digits in the VIN anyway.

Model Year (MY) and market (such as USDM MY06) best describes these cars. But is certainly tedious. Chassis and suspension changes occurred frequently during the short life cycle. Induction was changed to DriveByWire in 2006 in the US. No room for any of this stuff in the VIN. UK guys may understand stuff like "53 Plate" but it's arcane to the rest of us and I don't think it accurately describes the MY. And won't help buy many parts. Those pesky 2004 and later UK AP2 face lift cars still need AP1 engine parts. As long as ya stick to your "home country" there are few parts problems.

-- Chuck
Its really wrong to call the change a face lift - hundreds of changes were made across the car beyond the engine update. If you look at an S2000 produced for 2003 vs 2004, no matter your location, you will see subtle and not-so subtle differences from stem to stern, not to mention the electronics algorithms etc that you can't see. Honda can state what it wants, but anyone can look at the way the two cars are built and easily tell that AP1 vs AP2 is about more than the powerplant.

This car was Shigeru Uehara's pet project and we saw engineering as well as cosmetic tweaks throughout its lifecycle, on average every 24 months. I'd say his team never quit working to improve it or try different things.

If I was in UK, I'd assume that 'AP2' simply means 'updated S2000' vs the original version, so pre or post 2004. In reality, every two years saw a slightly different S2000 - 00-01, 02-03, 04-05, 06-07, and 08-09 and the CR/Type S.
The following users liked this post:
Topless-S2K (03-31-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
In us ap2 also got revised rear control arms.

When people hear the term 'suspension' they often think it refers to shocks and springs or coilovers. This is really a misuse of the term, that has nonetheless gained wide use.

Suspension means any/all the parts, control arms, bushings, shocks, balljoints, etc. The spring rates and shocks changed eveey two years in us. The suspension only changed once, in '04.
Probably easier to say the rear suspension *geometry* only changed once, 2004. The shocks/springs/swaybars changed every 2 years. And there were a few updates like reinforced upper control arm mounts after the early cars showed signs of cracking from track use, stiffer rear chassis brace & front brace for CR, etc.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Saki GT So with so many "face lift's" it leaves a problem in describing what model you are talking about, other than saying it's an e.g.; 06 fly by wire etc.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:13 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

As has been said, AP1 refers ONLY to the engine. All UK cars (and those fitted with the F20C engine worldwide) have the AP1 VIN code irrespective of model year and so in truth are AP1s.

The confusion stems from the fact that at the same time as the 2004 facelift, the US cars received the AP2 designation code relating to the F22 engine. Because S2000s in the US then only ever got this engine from 2004 onwards (with the F20C being discontinued), ALL facelifted cars tend to get referred to as the AP2, as that is what our US cousins refer to as the face-lift cars (as that is all they got from that point onwards). It then got confused across the pond with all face-lift cars being attributed as AP2s (perhaps the US peeps not realising in the early days that not everyone had the F22 engines from 2004 onwards).

The engine (DBW, VSA etc), suspension and wheel revisions were still phased in throughout the world across all engine types at the same year point and the Japanese market even received the AP2 engine in the last few years of production.

Unfortunately the above will not stop people from referring to all facelifts as AP2s, as they believe that is / should be the facelift designation and not the engine designation (which is what it really is).

It is probably best to refer to model year and designatory code to get an exact idea of car.

For example, mine is a a MY2005 AP1, which means it is a facelift (post 2004), throttle cable (pre-2006) F20C (AP1) car with the V1 17" wheels, where a MY2006 AP1 would be a facelift (post 2004), DBW (post 2006) F20C (AP1) car with V2 17" wheels.
A MY2005 AP2 would mean it is a facelift (post 2004), throttle cable (pre 2006) F22C (AP2) car with the V1 17" wheels etc etc. As long as you know the model year and the engine designation, you should easily be able to identify the precise model.

Last edited by Mike RT4; 03-31-2017 at 02:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Topless-S2K (04-02-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 AM

Fwiw, I've never seen Honda itself state that AP1 = engine. APx is the chassis and the classic definition of such is more than a powerplant. Not sure where that is coming from.. Maybe it's a British thing?

My personal theory is that if Honda wanted to re-classify the chassis in Europe, it would have had to spend money on a new round of crashworthiness and recertification, so it just kept the original designation because it was easier for it, not for us to later divine the differences. Perhaps it had to do such a thing in NA, but not elsewhere, so it limited costs this way.

Also, again, 2004 was not just a facelift - hundreds of additional changes were made beyond cosmetics.

It would be interesting to hear from more of the Europe folks about this.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Topless-S2K
Thanks Saki GT

So with so many "face lift's" it leaves a problem in describing what model you are talking about, other than saying it's an e.g.; 06 fly by wire etc.
Really, once you know the model year, you can piece together what you'd expect. Buying an 00? Don't expect separate tweeter speakers or a glass backlight. Buying an 06? Expect stability control and dbw. Etc.. The differences are more granular than pre or post 2004. To really know what to expect, you have to know what was specific to the year, but most people seem to care about the engine over other things.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In the automotive world, the term "facelift" isn't limited to just cosmetics. It applies to cosmetic and/or mechanical changes that's significant enough, but not so significant that it changes the car entirely.

Quick Reply: AP1 or AP2