S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1 or AP2 S2000?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts
Default AP1 or AP2 S2000?

I know the drill, not another one of these threads. I have some legitimate questions though, and wanted to get the opinions of a true S2000 forum instead of my local forums.

Heres the deal:

I am getting an S2000 in the next few weeks. (Whenever I find one that fits my case) No other car interests me.

I have only test driven an AP2 on the street and I have autocrossed a few of them over the last couple years. Never driven an AP1 as the opportunity has not presented itself just yet.

I have done tons of research and everyone seems to be torn. I am not looking into technical comparisons, as I am well educated on that.

My questions are:

1.) Which one is more fun to drive on a daily basis?
2.) Which is easier to drive.

My favorite part of a car is the gearbox. If I can have anything I like having a silky smooth gearbox that can shift seamlessly with ease. I got this feeling with the AP2. On my test drive, I drove it as smooth as cars I have driven for years and downshifting, heel-toe was super easy.

I am wondering which model is more fun (enjoyable) to drive on the street. The 2.2L with extra torque, or the 2.0L with longer gears? I am looking to see which model is the best to just hop in an drive. Ive had a few cars in the past where I would avoid driving because I wasn't in the mood to drive the car.

Thanks to all for any replies and for any help. I hope to join your community soon.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be free for you to drive an AP1 at this point. I bought an AP2 in the heat of the moment. The AP2 is just a sexy effing car no two ways about it.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you've got two threads, here it is again:

First, congratulations on your decision to go with an S2000. It's also nice that you've had the opportunity to drive one before posting.

I must say, although you state you don't want to start another opinionated argument, that is exactly what your thread will do.

They are both essentially the same car, with very slight variations. Even the CR in the grand scheme of things is a very similar experience with the key variation being the hard top. You can't go wrong either way.

Drive an AP1 and make the call yourself based on your personal preference/opinion, because that's all your going to get here.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Sorry about the double-post. My browser froze up for a second so I clicked twice.

Thanks for the recommendations though. I understand that it is ultimately my decision. I will be driving an AP1 this week sometime and come to my final decision.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove them both

1.) Which one is more fun to drive on a daily basis? From what I read on here AP2 is more refined (I felt it as well), so I would say AP2 is better on daily basis. But Ap1 was more fun to drive So AP2 on this question.

2.) Which is easier to drive. Since the AP2 doesnt rev as high I would also say AP2 is easier to drive.

I drive an AP1, after test driving them both.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both drive pretty much exactly the same except the ap2 has better looking rims, better interior, better headlights, better bumpers.
Of course this is just my opinion and this is why I bought a ap2
Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They're both fun to drive. I drove both and they were equal to me in terms of 'fun'. I ended up with the AP2 as I liked the way it looks. The AP1 does have a quicker steering rack, but nothing would stop you from swapping in a quicker rack into the AP2.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go for the one that's a better deal. And looks cleaner, lower miles, been better taken care of, etc. Let those factors decide.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) it's a wash, unless you think 9K is more fun
2) AP2. The low end torque difference is enough that you won't have to shift as often as you would in an AP1.

The AP2 has better looks, drive by wire (depending on the model year) Stability control (depending on the model year) bigger wheels, and less dated looking headlights. Also the tails are LEDs if you care about that sutff. An AP1 is cheaper though, but not by much (unless you go for a high mileage model)
Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
1.) Which one is more fun to drive on a daily basis?
2.) Which is easier to drive.
As always: test drive. The problem with the research you've done isn't that "everyone seems torn". It's that it's a matter of subjective preference. Some prefer the AP1. Some prefer the AP2. We can't tell you which you will prefer. That's why you have to test drive to determine your preference. That's why the recommendation with these threads is always: test drive.

Quick Reply: AP1 or AP2 S2000?