S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1 or AP2 S2000?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a 03 AP1. I can say that the gear box is silky smooth. I test drove a 08 AP2 but only briefly. The gearbox didn't feel any different from AP1. I only felt two differences. One, AP2 feels more powerful at mid range rev, thanks to the extra displacement and more aggressive gearing. Two, AP2's steering feels slightly looser. This could be an illusion. I didn't drive them long enough to tell other differences, but I can assure you either is a very good car (and very good gear box).
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
I currently own an ap2 but have driven quite a few ap1 as well since I work for honda and used to sell them before they got discontinued. As a daily driver the ap2 is by far better,easier and safer due to vsa/traction control for those that are paranoid of snow,rain and ice. I turn my vsa off everyday but leave it on during slippery conditions just in case. The ap1 had alot of issues that they took care of like oil starvation in some motors, alot of people blowing their rearends,shitty plastic rear window w no defrost,2speaker stereo system lol and more that they took care of by the time they came out with the ap2. Alot of people pick the ap1 because its a little wilder due to its 9k rpms and its sharper steering rack but thats usually the only reasons why. The ap2 is just more refined in everyway with a stronger rear end where the ap1 suffered the most,glass rear window,vsa, and if you wanted to you can plug n play with a hondata system since the ecu on the ap2 is programable while the ap1 is not> if you want more rpms then tune it professionally and you can probably change its revlimiter closer to the limits of the ap1 as long as its done safely. In my opinion from years of selling and driving them I'd say AP2 FTW for a daily driver like my own.

Goodluck and congratulations on your purchase when you do
several problems you mentioned were only on 00 and 01 AP1. So if op wants an AP1, try getting a 03.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
I currently own an ap2 but have driven quite a few ap1 as well since I work for honda and used to sell them before they got discontinued. As a daily driver the ap2 is by far better,easier and safer due to vsa/traction control for those that are paranoid of snow,rain and ice. I turn my vsa off everyday but leave it on during slippery conditions just in case. The ap1 had alot of issues that they took care of like oil starvation in some motors, alot of people blowing their rearends,shitty plastic rear window w no defrost,2speaker stereo system lol and more that they took care of by the time they came out with the ap2. Alot of people pick the ap1 because its a little wilder due to its 9k rpms and its sharper steering rack but thats usually the only reasons why. The ap2 is just more refined in everyway with a stronger rear end where the ap1 suffered the most,glass rear window,vsa, and if you wanted to you can plug n play with a hondata system since the ecu on the ap2 is programable while the ap1 is not> if you want more rpms then tune it professionally and you can probably change its revlimiter closer to the limits of the ap1 as long as its done safely. In my opinion from years of selling and driving them I'd say AP2 FTW for a daily driver like my own.

Goodluck and congratulations on your purchase when you do

Just a FYI... Only AP2s that are DBW/VSA are 06-09.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an '01, '03, and now an '08. The '08 is by far my favorite - it's more comfortable (scooped out door panels), shifts smoother, has more torque/needs less shifting, and has countless refinements over the earlier models.

I'm about to get a Flashpro, which will create even more midrange power and allow me to raise the redline to 8500rpm, close enough to the F20C. Also, the AP2 is more robust for track duty, as it has the front upper A-arm mounts reinforced, beefier valve retainers, and stronger diff. It just seems like they continued to refine the S over its life, and it continued to get better every other year on average (aside from perhaps suspension tuning, but that's easily tailored to your personal taste w/ aftermarket parts/tuning).

I loved my AP1's, but if my AP2 disappeared it would be a no-brainer to get another '06+ model.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Made an appointment to see an AP1 today. Got there and he said the car is gone for the day for a "tire change". So my decision will have to wait.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Yes it was a dealership. And they definitely just took the car with them. I don't blame them though, I would do the same thing if I owned the place.

On topic though, I met with a local seller today and test drove his AP1. ( I truly was interested, not just pretending to drive his car. ). I did not have the same experience I had with the AP2. While I still had a blast, I left knowing 100% I want an AP2. The power band and the gearing of the AP2 really fit my driving style and personality. Interior wise, I thought they were kinda the same thing. AP2 definitely looks better, but simple mods would have made them look identical. I thought the AP2 was much more fun to drive and felt a lot more thrilling to me. I noticed the quicker steering of the AP1 and the steering felt more solid. In my opinion, the AP1 felt more pure, but for the car I am looking for I think the AP2 suites me better.

Also, one of my favorite things about the S is the interior. I truly think simple is better, and this seems to be the only modern car I can think of that agrees. I have yet to find a local AP1 which doesn't have all red interior. I don't really care what the exterior color is, but my only standard is it must have black interior. Red accents and blue might cut it, but I don't like the red dash.

So looks like I will own an AP2 in the next few months. Or whenever a good deal presents itself. I don't want to rush it and regret it later on, like I almost have before.

Thank you all for the advice and the direction. I'll continue to frequent this site as I do Nasioc (my other car is an 07 STi) and lurk threads.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that you have decided on an AP2 I would strongly advise going for an 06 or newer for Flashpro capabilities. Simple exhaust mods + a custom tune grant huge mid-range gains and if you ever went crazy with FI you would already have a tuning solution.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In general, you want to buy the newest one you can afford. That said, the older ones can still be really good. It's just that the newer ones are a little better for most people.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 AM

I would love to get an 06+ but for the price they are going for locally, I cannot afford it. Right now I'm looking at an 04 which will cost me 12k. I am paying cash and not looking to take a loan out for additional money unless I absolutely need to.

Also, I am not modding this car as I have all my others. One thing I am sure about is I want stock exhaust. The only mods that I am considering for this car is minor suspension and brakes for autocross. But for a while I want to drive it stock and enjoy it.

In the past, I have spent a great amount of time working on my cars rather than driving them. With this car, I want it to be the exact opposite.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

AP2 is a great choice. With suspension tweaks, you could make the AP2 feel twitchy at the upper limits like an AP1, though I'm not sure why anyone desires that. Stability is always a nice thing.

I thought long and hard before I bought my car, but the upgrades of the AP2 won me over. Like you, I didn't want to buy a car to mod. I wanted to drive the darn thing. Don't have time to upgrade oil banjo bolts, valve retainers, etc that I would have to do with the AP1.

Quick Reply: AP1 or AP2 S2000?