S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1 Headlight blisters/bubbles...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have it too. I guess it is a reflection because it looks exactly the same as mine. Same angle and everything.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig,May 5 2009, 05:20 AM
I don't know what's in the Permatex kit, but generally all you need is a plastic polish like PlastiX or Novus. The haze comes off in just a few minutes of polishing.
It's a wet sanding kit with polish. Are you saying I can do it without wet sanding??
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some too. Only on one light though.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens is that the AP1 headlights have an extremely clear glass lens in the projector unlike the AP2 headlight projectors which are fresnel (rings in the lens).

When the car is in direct sunlight at let's say around 12:00pm, the glass lens of the projector acts as a magnifying glass. The distance between the focal point of the glass lens, and the top of the plastic shroud (just under the glass lens) is perfect, and creates a "hot spot".

Remember as a kid you would take your grandparents magnifying glass and on a hot sunny day you could go outside and burn grass, or bugs? Ok, maybe I was just a little weird as a kid??? LOL

None of the less, it is the same exact deal you see in your AP1 headlights. The AP2 headlights have a fresnel lens that make the cut-off not as sharp, and also helps prevent this from happening. Also, the AP2 headlights have an aluminum grooved "shield" that sits directly under the glass lens, and prevents any paint from blistering.

Sorry so long, just happy to chime in and help.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by rajun asian,May 5 2009, 01:22 PM
I have some too. Only on one light though.

Now, this is a perfect picture as to what I was saying. See how the lines kind of curve? Starts out small, then thickens in the middle of the line, and then tappers off again? This is due to the sun moving over your car. Starting from one side, then to the other. In the middle of the blister line was when the sun was directly over your car.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Izn Trbl,May 5 2009, 01:32 PM
What happens is that the AP1 headlights have an extremely clear glass lens in the projector unlike the AP2 headlight projectors which are fresnel (rings in the lens).

When the car is in direct sunlight at let's say around 12:00pm, the glass lens of the projector acts as a magnifying glass. The distance between the focal point of the glass lens, and the top of the plastic shroud (just under the glass lens) is perfect, and creates a "hot spot".

Remember as a kid you would take your grandparents magnifying glass and on a hot sunny day you could go outside and burn grass, or bugs? Ok, maybe I was just a little weird as a kid??? LOL

None of the less, it is the same exact deal you see in your AP1 headlights. The AP2 headlights have a fresnel lens that make the cut-off not as sharp, and also helps prevent this from happening. Also, the AP2 headlights have an aluminum grooved "shield" that sits directly under the glass lens, and prevents any paint from blistering.

Sorry so long, just happy to chime in and help.
so, what you're saying is that I need AP2 headlights?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izn Trbl,May 5 2009, 04:34 PM
Now, this is a perfect picture as to what I was saying. See how the lines kind of curve? Starts out small, then thickens in the middle of the line, and then tappers off again? This is due to the sun moving over your car. Starting from one side, then to the other. In the middle of the blister line was when the sun was directly over your car.

I'm not sure about your theory and I say that because my car is an '03 with 18k miles on it and has always been garaged. But who knows, it may not take that long for the blisters to start.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by rajun asian,May 5 2009, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure about your theory and I say that because my car is an '03 with 18k miles on it and has always been garaged. But who knows, it may not take that long for the blisters to start.
Really, it only takes one good hot day to do it. In the picture rajun asian supplied, you can see it had happened at least 3 times already.

Most of the time it will hit the same exact spot over and over if the car sits outside allot.

But who know, I could be wrong...

Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Years ago I was working on a set of projector headlights. I was in the backyard working on a huge wooden workbench. It was just too hot to work in the shop.

I had the glass lenses taken out of the projectors and sitting on the opposite end of the workbench I was working at. It was noon time, extremely hot out, and all of the sudden I smell smoke! I look at the other end of the workbench to find my workbench was close to catching fire a little, and a nice chard line had formed. It was tapered at the ends, and thick in the middle. All of this took about 2 hours to form from around 11:00am - 1:00pm.

Needless to say, I had change my way ways of working out there from that moment on. LOL
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM

my MY2002 doesnt have that problem yet. I'd imagine that happens if the car is kept outdoors. I am going to consistently condition my headlights with the meguairs X stuff and hopefully that will protect it from the sun.

Quick Reply: AP1 Headlight blisters/bubbles...