S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ap2 trans in ap1

Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ap2 trans in ap1

As most of you now I have been posting frequently about my trans and clutch issues. I was having problems getting into gears and took the car to my mechanic he told me the clutch was completely gone. I was ok with that considering I had just ordered the inline pro kit and knew I'd have to upgrade the clutch anyways. He installed a clutch master stage 4 clutch in. The trans still did not seem right, but felt better. Now It's horrible, I don't even know if I will be able to get it to another shop that I was referred to. Sometimes it's worse then others. I've gotten a lot of different feedback on what it could be, but still have no Idea. I'm guessing the guy who had it before me beat the crap out of it and or did not know how to drive it. It has 20000 miles on it and I've put maybe 500 on it. I'm trying to figure out what could be the worse.

The inline pro is sitting in my garage waiting to be installed and the 3mm head gasket will be installed tomorrow. I do not want to put the turbo kit in until my trans problem is solved. I'm guessing the trans will have to be rebuilt if not replaced. I've looked around and can get a few ap2 trans for $1200ish plus shipping. If it's going to cost over $1000 to fix the trans, I figured it'd be more beneficial to just get an "upgraded" trans. If that is the route I go, what will have to be changed, if anything to get an ap2 trans in an ap1? Is it straight bolt up with everything? I'm sure the shop I'm going to will give me advice, but I'd rather go in there with some ideas.

I really have not gotten to really enjoy the s2000, but the time that I have gotten to drive it, I absolutly love it. So far though this car has been nothing but a head ache and I cannot wait for all these "bugs" to be fixed and I can really enjoy it. Hopefully this will be my last post, posting about a trans or clutch problem.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 AM

I have always understood this to be a bolt on job with one exception:

You will need to take the old output flange off the AP1 trans and replace the one on the AP2 with it. Someone can confirm this, I hope. I believe hecash has made the switch if you would like to PM him for his experience.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dumb question...the tranny fluid was replaced with Honda MTF, correct?

Anyway...I would recommend you stick with an ap1 tranny if you are going turbo. The ap2 tranny has a different secondary gear that effectively made 1st through 4th shorter. An ap1 tranny will allow you to hold those gears to stay in boost longer. Having been in a few turbo cars now, they burn through the gears so quickly you wouldn't want to do anything to make that even worse.

I would not recommend a rebuilt tranny. The few rebuilt trannies I've seen were never as good as an original. Also, all the rebuilt trannies I've seen were ap2 trannies...a few have a 2nd and 5th gear issues.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

Well, I dropped it off yesterday and they said it sounds like a clutch. I could not get it in reverse and I was able to without a problem by turning the car off. They said 9/10 times that is clutch related. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if it turns out it is a clutch problem considering I just spent $1500 on getting it replaced.