S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Aus Drivers: Anyone tried the new Mobil Synergy?

Old 04-19-2001, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has never had anything else but Shell Optimax, just wondering if anyone has tried the new Mobil Synergy 8000 98 RON fuel.
Old 04-19-2001, 01:36 AM

I just filled up my WRX with the stuff and I can't tell the difference between this and Optimax. I haven't tried it in the S2000 yet though.

By the way, I once had a colleague who had worked in the oil industry. Apparently there's only one or two refineries producing fuel for Sydney, and all the brands are actually the same stuff. Don't know if that's true, but this guy reckoned that when Shell introduced "Half Lead" all the other leaded fuel went the same way but the other servos weren't allowed to advertise it as such. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if "Synergy 8000" IS "Optimax"

PS: There's an Aus forum for this kind of stuff. Just scroll down a little from the start page.

[Edited by naishou on 04-19-2001 at 02:38 AM]
Old 04-19-2001, 02:16 AM

I have and it seems about the same as BP PULP.

In my experience I feel that Optimax gives the car a dead feel and that the BP fuel gives it a little more liveliness espec. at lower revs.

I don't know why this should be the case but I have felt it with all my vehicles that have used Shell PULP (and even pre 98 octane Optimax). However, there are others who don't agree and I have to say my opinions are pretty subjective and based on seat of the pants feel as opposed to actual performance measurements
Old 04-19-2001, 04:16 AM

You Aussies are lucky! We only get 93 RON over here.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:40 AM

BP Ultimate 98 with the new BP Stations Only, apparently I have only seem one in Lekemba in Sydney and a new one coming up in Liverpool ... The closest it ever gonna get to Japan's 100 RON octane fuel.

Optimax is crap compared to BP while the rest, don't even go there if Shell isn't even up enough for it. Kinda disappointing to know that Shell in Australia differs so much from Shell in Japan.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
BP Ultimate 98 with the new BP Stations Only, apparently I have only seem one in Lekemba in Sydney and a new one coming up in Liverpool ... The closest it ever gonna get to Japan's 100 RON octane fuel.

Optimax is crap compared to BP while the rest, don't even go there if Shell isn't even up enough for it. Kinda disappointing to know that Shell in Australia differs so much from Shell in Japan.
That's bad news for you Sydneysiders Takashi - just about every BP service station in Melbourne has the 98 PULP.
Old 04-19-2001, 05:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Plenty of BP's have the Ultimate 98 or whatever the new mix is called. At least every one I've tried from Mona Vale to Neutral Bay has it.

Yes, all petrol comes from a couple of sources in Sydney with the exception of the indonesian import stuff that the no name stations mix. But we wouldn't be seen dead in one of those anyway.

Another thing you have to realise about Optimax and BP Ultimate 98 is that they don't really do anything. Seriously, if you're running on Premium ULP and your ignition isn't retarding that's enough. You could put in 100 RON and it wouldn't make a difference.

Octane is actually combustion inhibitance, not extra strength. Higher octane is to stop the fuel from burning due to pressure/heat. If you use too low an octane the mix will combust at mutiple points in the cylinder (you get that metallic rattle sound). Your ECU senses this and retards the ignition and hence power. So once you have an octane level that avoids detonation using higher octane, or octane enhancers does bugger all except lighten your wallet.

Also, Octane levels are measured differently in differnet countries. The US 93 RON I believe is actually equivalent to 95 or 98 in our scale.

There have been any number of discussions on this previously with input from those much wiser than me. Do a search and all will be revealed.

[Edited by AusS2000 on 04-19-2001 at 06:48 PM]
Old 04-19-2001, 05:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[B]
You Aussies are lucky!
Old 04-19-2001, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lanbrown
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[b]
You Aussies are lucky!
Old 04-19-2001, 02:18 PM

I have tried pretty much all the PULPs and I can't tell any difference between them - at all.

I think we have all experienced periods when the Stook seems dull. I find this particularly when humidity is high. I don't think this is caused by the petrol.

Quick Reply: Aus Drivers: Anyone tried the new Mobil Synergy?