S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Autocross: Wrestling the "lift" demon...

Old 10-15-2000, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm new at autocross. 7 runs total. But I don't have the mental game going on yet. I went along with an experienced guy in his car (Sentra SE-R) and I was amazed how well he could drive. I can't blame the course layout, an A Stock M3 on Proxies had FTD. I'm on well-worn S-O2s. I've walked the course a dozen times and read books, but I don't recall anything about punching through the last layer of the mental side. Can anyone relate?
Old 10-15-2000, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a pesky M3 down here that usually wins AS, but one of the local S2K drivers (Ole) is closing fast. As for myself, I've been having a lot of fun out there, but need to get a lot faster too. The "secret", so I'm told, is SEAT TIME.
Old 10-15-2000, 08:40 PM

AutoX is a demon. You get to walk through a course you are going to drive through and are expected to go fast in a couple of runs. Flat out it is HARD! I normally, as most do, try to visualize the course before the run often turning the wheel while sitting in my car. My best laps are always achieved while I concentrate on two things. First, if you are not braking, accelerating, or turning as hard as possible (or any combination of the 3) you are not racing! Coasting at any time is not an option, nor is gently pressing on the brake. Second is to never hold the wheel at a set position (unless you are going straight ). Slowly turn into a turn as you slowly release the brakes, then slowly unwind the wheel as you slowly step on the magic pedal. One more thing, if you are on the gas and not above 6K rpm, you are in the WRONG gear! Keep practicing and most of all enjoy. If you aren't having fun you will never get faster!

Ole
White/Red

[This message has been edited by Overdrive OP (edited October 16, 2000).]
Old 10-15-2000, 08:48 PM

Visualize
Visualize
Visualize

If you cannot imagine the course behind the wheel, then walk the course again. Concentrate, and remember, smooth is fast. Fast is smooth. And when I say smooth that does not mean gentle or soft handed, just the touch in transition. The rest will fall into place.
Old 10-15-2000, 08:49 PM

Good advice, Overdrive OP!

You cannot drive an autocross like you're driving on the street! One of my worst habits is letting off on the gas coming into a turn. You have to be on the gas if you're not on the brake.

Also sometimes you have to go slower to go faster. If you're trying too hard, you will brake too late and go into turns too fast, possibly skidding and taking out cones.

Smooth is the secret. Fast, but smooth!
Old 10-15-2000, 09:07 PM

Tom,

You are definately correct with the going to fast comment. If any of you have ever felt that mild chattering from your from tires while in a hard corner, it is your front wheels telling you," You screwed UP!". Tires are like most things in life that pushed to hard they give up. You have to accept the fact that you only get so much grip, and learn how to ask everything, but not the impossible out of your tires!

A couple more tips. Talk to yourself. This may sound stupid, but I often scream to myself "NOT YET, NOT YET, NOT YET" when I am approaching a turn and am contemplating hitting the brakes. Wait as long as you can and keep it planted to the floor. You can stop much faster than you think, and remember by smoothly turning in you CAN brake into the corner. Way into the corner! I was given some advice that is worth mentioning. If you do not hit a cone, spin or get worried that you are "not going to make it" on one of your runs you are not going fast enough! Another major element of going fast is to use ALL of the track. The guy that runs our events constantly points out the fact that most people leave a foot between the car and the cone. It costs dearly!

Ole
White/Red

[This message has been edited by Overdrive OP (edited October 15, 2000).]
Old 10-15-2000, 09:40 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to save your answers as a file on my computer and read it often.

-John
Old 10-16-2000, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also quite new to autoX, only twelve runs and have found my times improve dramatically. What I have found is that autoX is a mind game, it's all upstairs. There is just so much coming at you so fast so must to do in such a short time that the pressure can get to you. The trick to smooth is calm. It's about control not only of the car but of the driver. If you lose control upstairs even once you will get beat.

You are absolutely right about what you need to do. It's not about technique for you and I it's about mind control. Staying focused, staying in control of our emotions and our logic. If you come into a corner thinking am I too fast too slow brake now gas now where's my line, your finished. You don't have time to think. You need to clear your mind completely no thoughts at all. You need to drive the course in your head, if your mind is clear and tranquil so will your actions be. If your panicing about doing the wrong thing at the wrong time that will translate to jerky and indecisive control of the car.

I know a lot of people like to visualize the course and all but man when I get out there at 50MPH I can't see nothin but cones. For me I like to meditate, clear my head of all thoughts, especially in the grid. Dont let the starter get to you, you can start when you feel like it. I lower my heart rate, reduce tension then when I hit the course it just flows and my mind is able to just do the right thing without my logic forcing it there.

AutoX is a stress management excercise.
Old 10-16-2000, 03:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an autocross link that I found very helpful: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm