S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

avoid GEICO if you can

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default avoid GEICO if you can

Last Sunday, my S2000 was vandalized. The convertible top of my car was cut open. I have Geico insurance with comprehensive coverage ($250 deductible). This Wednesday, I met a Geico adjuster and talked with a Geico CA regional manager. The Geico CA regional manager told me that I either take a $1300 check, or fix the damages at a body shop he specified and pay for 75% of the parts cost because he thinks the vandalized convertible top has patches and fixing the vandalized convertible top leads to a better condition. Thus he told me he would charge a 75% “betterment” charge. I did not accept his offers and I brought my car to a Honda dealership. The estimate made by the Honda dealership for fixing the vandalized convertible top was $4000. Honda service adviser contacted Geico CA regional manager regarding to the estimate of fixing the damages and Geico CA regional manager told Honda service advisor that Geico at most pay $1300 for fixing the damages. Because Geico’s $1300 offer deviates from a fair estimate, no repair shop I contacted is willing to fix the vandalism damages for $1300.

Yesterday and today, I talked with Geico CA regional manager and Geico CA assistant president four times to resolve this issue. They gave me three options: 1. Bring my car to a Geico specified auto body shop and I pay a 75% betterment charge for fixing my car with AFTERMARKET parts. 2. Take a $1300 check. 3. Repair the car at any repair shop but Geico willl only pay $1300. I told Geico I do not accept any of their three options. The betterment charge is arbitrary and is unfair. Geico evades its responsibility of paying repairing cost by adding an arbitrary 75% betterment charges. Geico CA regional manager told me that I must pay for 75% of the cost of the parts. In addition, Geico CA regional manager and Geico CA assistant president require me to use the aftermarket parts to replace the original OEM parts on my car, saying the OEM parts are too expensive and saying if I use OEM parts, I need to pay for the OEM parts. Meanwhile, even though I paid for the Geico rental reimbursement program, Geico refused to provide me a rental car, saying unless the car repair begins, no rental will be provided. Since the $1300 estimate made by Geico CA regional manager was significantly deviate from the estimates from other repair shops I contacted, no shop I contacted is willing to do the repairs for $1300. I called Geico many times today, but none of them is willing to resolve this issue.

I have been a Geico customer for more than 5 years and each year paid more than a thousand dollars to Geico. This is my first insurance claim. Geico does not fulfill its responsibility to pay for the charges for recovering my vandalized car to its prior condition. I will NEVER buy Geico insurance again. My convertible top was cut open so I can not drive it; parking it may lead to thefts. Due to the slashed top and the fact of my apartment parking lots are public, I am very worried that thieves may steal my car. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for reading and I hope you avoid Geico if you can. It is a company that only knows charges you monthly bills. When you have insurance claims, it may come up all kinds of tricks to evade paying the cost of repairing your cars.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes bud, I'm sorry that you are going through this. I wish you the best on getting her back up and running and hopefully getting every penny you can out of those bastards.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 PM

Sorry to hear man, hopefully everything gets taken care of. Time to go with another insurance company once this is all settled, AAA FTW.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 PM

...horseshit. Sorry to hear what youre going through
Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

I'd threaten to sue for one. There are 100s of law firms around that specialize in this stuff. See if you can speak with someone about whether it's worth it.

If for whatever reason you end up with the $1300, then, how bad are the dents and scratches? Can a paintless dent remover get the dents out and the scratches be buffed out?

Is the entire assembly damaged or is just the top itself cut (the mechanism still functions fine) If so, I'd look at getting a robbins convertible top (Better than OEM imo) and having an experienced member in your area do the install for you. Should run you ~800-1000$ for this.

Have a detail done for a few hundred to get the rest done.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 PM

I definitely will not buy auto insurance from Geico again. Thanks for recommending AAA auto insurance.

Originally Posted by meccjoo
Sorry to hear man, hopefully everything gets taken care of. Time to go with another insurance company once this is all settled, AAA FTW.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 PM

The assembly was also damaged. The dents and scratches are medium sized. This is my first claim so I am not sure how much it will cost to fix the dents and scratches.

Originally Posted by kryptonite
I'd threaten to sue for one. There are 100s of law firms around that specialize in this stuff. See if you can speak with someone about whether it's worth it.

If for whatever reason you end up with the $1300, then, how bad are the dents and scratches? Can a paintless dent remover get the dents out and the scratches be buffed out?

Is the entire assembly damaged or is just the top itself cut (the mechanism still functions fine) If so, I'd look at getting a robbins convertible top (Better than OEM imo) and having an experienced member in your area do the install for you. Should run you ~800-1000$ for this.

Have a detail done for a few hundred to get the rest done.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 PM

I have Geico as well and went thru the same nonsense. Here's what happened to me. I have a MY00. My top was slashed about 15 inches. I managed to repair it with needle and thread and some tape. I called Geico and told them my situation and saw an adjuster. Same thing. I was told that I would not be provided an OEM top and there was a betterment if I wanted one. I told them I did not want the shop they recommended to do the work. I wanted LHT to do the work. The adjuster approved but first needed LHT's business info such as ID numbers and other specifics since Geico needed to write the check out to LHT and myself. Here's the kicker. LHT will only install NEW OEM tops. Their price at the time was $1300. Geico's recommended shop quoted me over $1800 for the repairs less my $500 deducible. Now even though LHT's price was substantially less money Geico refused to cut the check to them. I finally said fu*k it and took the check. I called the recommended shop which was located almost 35 miles from my house and negotiated with the owner. I told him I have a local shop willing to take my business and I would just buy a Robbins top from eBay then pay for the labor. If he wanted my business those were the conditions. Fortunately, he was very nice and willing to work with me. The job turned out well and I put $75 back in my pocket.

With that said, Geico can kiss my *ss. They gave me the run around straight up. I have never heard of the insurance company not allowing you to use factory parts. They are a direct replacement for what came on the car to begin with. Regardless of the age of either one of our vehicles there is no reason we need to use lesser parts or having to pay out of pocket for what should be our to begin with. Don't fell bad as you are not the only one they have tried to push around. Stand your ground and get what you deserve.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM

It sucks you had to go through all this, i'm staying as far away from them as i can.

The only experience i've ever had with Geico was when i had to deal with a hit and run n my old car, tracked down the guy that hit me and got his info forcefully from police and went through filing claims with his insurance company[Geico]. They tried their hardest to give me a run around, my initial askings were only for the cost of junk yard parts around 200-250 bucks. Since they ended up being so difficult about it i had things done up 'properly' and ended up getting over 1300 from them. it helped having a local field office in my town to harass. they gave me weeks of aggravation nearly a months worth all to end up costing themselves nearly 7x more just because they were being difficult.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!
I hope our experiences can help other people avoid repeating similar mistakes of choosing Geico as our auto insurance.

Originally Posted by Requiem
I have Geico as well and went thru the same nonsense. Here's what happened to me. I have a MY00. My top was slashed about 15 inches. I managed to repair it with needle and thread and some tape. I called Geico and told them my situation and saw an adjuster. Same thing. I was told that I would not be provided an OEM top and there was a betterment if I wanted one. I told them I did not want the shop they recommended to do the work. I wanted LHT to do the work. The adjuster approved but first needed LHT's business info such as ID numbers and other specifics since Geico needed to write the check out to LHT and myself. Here's the kicker. LHT will only install NEW OEM tops. Their price at the time was $1300. Geico's recommended shop quoted me over $1800 for the repairs less my $500 deducible. Now even though LHT's price was substantially less money Geico refused to cut the check to them. I finally said fu*k it and took the check. I called the recommended shop which was located almost 35 miles from my house and negotiated with the owner. I told him I have a local shop willing to take my business and I would just buy a Robbins top from eBay then pay for the labor. If he wanted my business those were the conditions. Fortunately, he was very nice and willing to work with me. The job turned out well and I put $75 back in my pocket.

With that said, Geico can kiss my *ss. They gave me the run around straight up. I have never heard of the insurance company not allowing you to use factory parts. They are a direct replacement for what came on the car to begin with. Regardless of the age of either one of our vehicles there is no reason we need to use lesser parts or having to pay out of pocket for what should be our to begin with. Don't fell bad as you are not the only one they have tried to push around. Stand your ground and get what you deserve.