S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Back from Buttonwillow !! - comments and questions

Old 06-17-2001, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from Buttonwillow !! - comments and questions

Went to Buttonwillow Raceway Park for a Performance driving clinic yesterday.

All I can say is ........WOW!!

Driving on a track is a WHOLE different world - I fully realize now that the S2K has SOOOOOO much potential. You CANNOT even begin to realize that potential on the street/freeway.

For those of you who drive regularly on the track - hats off to you. I have new found and immense respect for people who know how to drive on the track. You can have the best of cars, but if you cant drive - if you dont know how to manage weight transfer and how to control the contact patches - you will end up spinning into the dirt.

For those of you who have not been to a track and have the S2K - take it to the track. Once you do this you will realize that that is where this car is meant to be. I am no spectacular driver but believe me this car eats up the track with such amazing ability that it is mind boggling. The car almost seems to be saying - "Come on, COME ON.......... is that ALL you can do?!??!". Kind of reminds me of the ending fight in Rocky III where Rocky taunts Mr. T - "..come on, can't you hit harder than that?? My Grandma hits harder than you"...

I love this car more than ever now. It is soooo well balanced. Brake (heel and toe) downshift, Go into a corner aiming for the apex........ let the back end slip out just a tiny bit.....make sure the nose is pointed in the right direction and GUN IT ----- you are in HEAVEN!!

Regarding the Buttonwillow clinic - amazing experience - the instructors are excellent - they spend time with you individually telling you about your particular car and will even lap with you giving you pointers on how to improve your technique.

Overall I had a great time. High point of the day - when I managed to hit 100mph coming up the S's on the west loop. Low point of the day - when I went into a curve too hot and spun out (360) on the east loop. Raised a huge dust storm in the process. Hey - even spinning out is an experience.

OK now a few questions - I would really appreciate some responses

1. The car is now due for its first oil change (3900 miles). Given that I tortured the car yesterday - should I ask the dealer for some additional maintainance/inspection. The brakes were probably super hot yesterday - any adjustment/inspection necessary??

2. I spun out off the track (actually one and a half 360's). The car hesitated a little bit starting up again (instructor said nothing to worry about - engine was probably super hot) but I raised a lot of dust. Car is washed now and looks and drives fine. Is there some damage in particular I should check for just incase???

3. My poor tires!!! How much have I taken off their life???

Thanks
Old 06-17-2001, 05:50 PM
Banned

You will probably want to bleed the brakes (do you have DOT 4 fluid, in not good time to switch) and inspect the pads. The pads are most likely done. Even if there is pad left, it becomes "glazed over" and will feel mushy.

Change the oil.

Car should be ready to go back next weekend!
Old 06-18-2001, 05:40 AM

Would it be a good idea to switch to synthetic now or would you guys recommend waiting another couple of thousand miles? Thanks.