S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Benefits of weight reduction?

Old 12-31-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of weight reduction?

has anyone done minor weight reduction mods and noticed any improvement in performance? I consider minor to be light weight exhaust, passenger seat removal, shell bucket seat for driver, and spare/change kit removal...taking out around 100 pounds. I'm curious if this is something worth doing.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:11 AM

Track yes, street no. You could go with a 6-10 lb single outlet titanium exhaust vs the stock 60-65 lb exhaust. You would save around 50 lbs right there and probably pick up 5-6 hp. As far as removing the spare tire, unless I were to track my car, there would be no way in hell I would remove it.

You could be like Davepk and Krazik and gut out the entire interior of your car. With aftermarket wheels, brakes, race seat and other various modifications minus the interior, I think they weigh in at around 2,400 lbs.

Shedding weight is not only the first step to raising the performance level, but one of the biggest factors in determining overall performance of a performance oriented sports/race car.

I don't race my S wheel to wheel on a closed course, but I do participate in HPDE's. I would not benefit from gutting my car to run a few non race (wheel to wheel) laps every now and then at Sears Point. I am just happy running around 2:01's at Sears in my bone stock (pads and fluid ) S2K
Old 01-01-2005, 12:19 AM

isnt each 100lbs off= to .1 seconds off the quarter?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:40 AM

I don't know, I am into road racing. If that is correct and you removed 400 lbs off your car, you would shave .4 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:40 AM

Losing weight one of the best performance mods that you can do. It improves all forms of acceleration (i.e. acceleration, braking and cornering). That's why it is an all important thing in a race car. Whether or not it's worth it for a street car is up to you, since you're basic sacrificing comfort, safety, features or $$$ for weight reduction.

To give you an idea acceleration wise, a stock S2000 is about 2800 lbs, 200 Whp, or 14lb per Whp. Lose the spare (around 30lbs) that's the equivalent to a 2 Whp mod. If you can scrape 90lbs that's around an equivalent 6 Whp. Note that this is actually better than the typical CAI since weight loss doesn't change over the engine RPM range like many power mods do, also cornering and braking are also improved.

It is also better to lose weight on rotating mass and unsprung weight. I'll let you search for why that's important
Old 01-02-2005, 03:20 PM

Take off 100lbs w/ most of it being rotating weight & you will have a huge difference.

I have my trunk gutted, my carpet removed, a diff wheel / tire setup, 8lb flywheel & cf hood, I guess ~100lbs.

I have volk 9lb 16x7 te-37's, lightweight volk lugnuts, & toyo t1s (225/45/16 rear, 205/45/16 front) which are the lightest tires, much much lighter than bridgestone's, and quite noticeable handling improvements & accel improvements.

I also have gutted totally 2 cars before & a large increase in torque, high end not very much difference, but again a large handling / braking improvement.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Benefits of weight reduction?

(1) Reduced blood pressure
(2) Reduced risk of diabetes
(3) Increased stamina

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

Actually, on the S2K, shedding 12 lbs of weight is approx. equivalent to adding one HP from the standpoint of acceleration.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM

I thought this topic was about a new year's resolution for after eating too much during the holdays!!!!!!

I was going to say you may pick up more girls with a slimmer figure!
Old 01-02-2005, 05:08 PM

Not sure about cars, but the general rule of thumb is that for every seven pounds of weight lost, it's like gaining one horsepower.

Also, one pound of unsprung weight removed (wheels, suspension, brakes) is the equivalent of 12lbs in the car.

The values may not be the same, but you get the idea...
Old 01-02-2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 2 2005, 06:08 PM
Not sure about cars, but the general rule of thumb is that for every seven pounds of weight lost, it's like gaining one horsepower.
Huh?

The acceleration is proportional to the horsepower-to-weight ratio. For the S2K, there is a little under 12 lbs for every HP. So your quoted seven lbs == 1 HP is way off. ...and how can you quote a single number applicable to all cars? Bizarre.

Quick Reply: Benefits of weight reduction?