S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Best and cheapest options to increase performance

Old 03-12-2004, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Best and cheapest" is an oxymoron. A s/c was my best mod, and prob. my Voodoo knob was cheapest (but stiil very good).
Old 03-12-2004, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I have a S/C in waiting. Whats the deal with the Voodo knob? Superstition!!
Old 03-13-2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
The BEST and least expensive (in the long run) way to improve any aspect of automobile performance is to invest the money in learning how to drive better. I'm not kidding. Any performance driving school will allow YOU to extract much better handling out of the car. Don't believe me? Go to any autocross or Performance Driver's Education day at the track. You drive your car around and then ask ANY instructor to take your car for a run. I predict that you'll be VERY surprised at how much you suck as a driver.
Amen! Best response I've seen to this question yet. Well said, CoralDoc!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:33 AM

Anyone recommend any performance driving schools in Houston, Texas?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ayelien
Actually I have a S/C in waiting. Whats the deal with the Voodo knob? Superstition!!
countersunk knob =>shorter shift throw
Old 03-15-2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
I don't think Road Rage knows what he's talking about, my flux capaciter is mounted in front of the cat on the header pipe for increased thermal efficiency ... .

The BEST and least expensive (in the long run) way to improve any aspect of automobile performance is to invest the money in learning how to drive better. I'm not kidding. Any performance driving school will allow YOU to extract much better handling out of the car. Don't believe me? Go to any autocross or Performance Driver's Education day at the track. You drive your car around and then ask ANY instructor to take your car for a run. I predict that you'll be VERY surprised at how much you suck as a driver.

This is equally, though less significantly true at the drag strip, but I don't recommend that kind of use for an S 2000.

Learn how to use the power and handling capabilities that you have BEFORE spending money on modifications. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck that way.

Then, start investing in other stuff that will help depending on what your goal is (wheel/tire combos, suspension, brakes, etc).
Old 03-15-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by hygiene boy
I third Coral Doc's advice! My older brother (Nole 99) is addicted lately to autocross and road courses and we have drag raced a lot in the past. He wears out his tires pretty quick but he is a vastly improved driver pushing the S2000 to limits I didn't know it had.
I met your bro at the Gainesville Autox session a couple weeks ago. Cool guy, and he did well on the track!

I'll be in the next one in May!
Old 03-15-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

skip barber school, and i do not think there is any cheap hp gain, these cars are well engineered right out of the box.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:58 PM

intakes won't really do much. a bolton that really makes a difference is a properly designed catback exhaust system. the oem unit is restrictive and very heavy(almost 55-60 pds). with an aftermarket exhaust system, you will save weight(very important) and gain a couple hp's. if you go with a qualty brand like amuse, you can gain +8whp and have an exhaust that only weighs 7-8 pds. remember, losing weight is the same thing as gaining power. if there is a way to improve the power/weight ratio, you will have a faster car.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:34 PM

I think nitrious would be the cheapest way to get "big" power... not sure how reliable it is but you can pick up a setup for about $500.00 more or less *just my opinion dont bite my head off * other then that, I guess the s2k is a very well rounded car power and handling wise... I guess knowing how to drive it and accommodating your mods accordingly would be the best bet.

Quick Reply: Best and cheapest options to increase performance