S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Big Problems With My T1R 70R Exhaust!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Problems With My T1R 70R Exhaust!

I bought the T1R 70R Exhaust last summer (less than 1 year old) and have loved it to death ever since. Some say it's loud, I say it's perfect! I've posted up vid/sound clips of it on every thread I could find about it and have recommended it whenever possible. Two days ago I noticed the exhaust was hanging really weird and moved A LOT when I moved the tip. Upon further inspection this is what I found... (The exhaust wasn't abused in any way, just the expected spirited driving)

I spoke to Ben at AJ-R but apparently there is no warranty on the 70R exhaust (a race system), only the 63mm (I'm not sure how a defective weld/broken hanger is different on a 63mm exhaust and a 70mm exhaust but I guess they have their reasons). The best thing they can do is try to repair it so I'm set to go back this Thursday to get that done. I can only hope it'll turn out like new.

I love everything about this exhaust (performance, sound, looks, sound, etc.) but this is a huge PITA (all you car payment making starving students can relate ) I'm just wondering if this has happened to ANYONE else or am I just the most unfortunate T1R owner out there.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:35 AM

Sorry to hear that this happened to you but I'm still curious on how this can actually occur. Hopefully AJ-R will be able to repair it & make it even better.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the picture it seems that the hanger was cracked first and then the resonator welding point collapse from weight with the combination of high temps...

I cannot think of any other reason.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.... sorry to hear what happened man. My t1r never cracked or anything even under hard driving consistently everyday.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there damage to the mandrel bend? It looks like it's is hanging too low. If you bottomed out....it would break the hanger AND the welds.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:34 AM

Thats the first time I have ever seen that happen to a T1-R.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Apr 22 2006, 06:34 AM
Is there damage to the mandrel bend? It looks like it's is hanging too low. If you bottomed out....it would break the hanger AND the welds.
It's hanging low because it's broken.... and no I've never bottomed out. I'm riding on stock height and the roads here aren't THAT crazy lol
Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 AM

Looks easily repairable to me; a clean break.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE]I spoke to Ben at AJ-R but apparently there is no warranty on the 70R exhaust (a race system), only the 63mm (I'm not sure how a defective weld/broken hanger is different on a 63mm exhaust and a 70mm exhaust but I guess they have their reasons). The best thing they can do is try to repair it so I'm set to go back this Thursday to get that done. I can only hope it'll turn out like new.[QUOTE]

We are not able to warranty a race exhaust system. I think the reason that caused it ,was the exhaust being heavily abused with running a silencer. Abusing it with a silencer on will cause high stress and heat spots on the exhaust and I would assume that would be the problem.

Anyways, we will do the best we can without leaving you with the problem so we will get that repaired for you.

Thanks
Ben
Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=AJ PwR,Apr 22 2006, 10:18 AM] [QUOTE]I spoke to Ben at AJ-R but apparently there is no warranty on the 70R exhaust (a race system), only the 63mm (I'm not sure how a defective weld/broken hanger is different on a 63mm exhaust and a 70mm exhaust but I guess they have their reasons). The best thing they can do is try to repair it so I'm set to go back this Thursday to get that done. I can only hope it'll turn out like new.

We are not able to warranty a race exhaust system. I think the reason that caused it ,was the exhaust being heavily abused with running a silencer. Abusing it with a silencer on will cause high stress and heat spots on the exhaust and I would assume that would be the problem.

Anyways, we will do the best we can without leaving you with the problem so we will get that repaired for you.

Thanks
Ben
The only thing with that is that I never run with the silencer on
Whatever the cause, I appreciate the help getting it fixed up. I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this before.

Quick Reply: Big Problems With My T1R 70R Exhaust!