S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

blind spots

Old 05-27-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blind spots

so how does everyone get around them. obviously u can take the top down, and i was thinking about getting those mini-side rear view mirrors. the blindspots in the s2k are pretty...blinding...;/
Old 05-27-2002, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it when the top is up but if crouch forward and bend you neck and look to the left and use the mirror on the right as well as shoulder check to the left through the rear window, there isn't any blind spots.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to think from the opposiet side of the car to us right hand drive folks, but here's what I do, after initially being very bothered by the blind spot in the rear nearside 3/4 position, where it's very easy to lose sight of a vehicle totally.

I adjust the rear view mirror right over so I can see the rear left hand edge of the rear window (Where the vinyl soft top starts). I can still see the centre of the rear window with the mirror so adjusted. I then angle the nearside side mirror right out from the door to a point where I have to move my head very slightly back from a normal relaxed driving position to just be able to see the side of my car in the mirror. This gives me a broad view behind me and to my left which is the danger postion with vehicles coming up the nearside.

I also adjust the drivers side door mirror well out from the car which gives me a good broad rearwards view behind me and to the offside. Some members have adjusted the drivers mirror on it's operating teeth to open tilt/ further out from the car. Perhaps one of them will post with the details. Hope this helps!
Old 05-27-2002, 04:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have two very small (2") convex mirrors in the lower croner of each mirror. This does the trick very nicely!! I actually have these mirrors on all my vehicles, I hate driving a car without them now!!! This does a nice job and it's a very inexpensive fix!!
Old 05-27-2002, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by gomarlins3
I have two very small (2") convex mirrors in the lower corner of each mirror.
Hey, now- this is a good idea. I've been trying to figure this blind spot issue out for awhile.

Appreciate it.

-Vince

'02 Suzuka Blue
Old 05-27-2002, 06:45 PM

stick your head out the window
Old 05-27-2002, 06:50 PM

I used to have a Razo concave mirror to take care of the blind spots. I think it worked ok, but the problem was that the concave mirror made everything smaller -- bad if you're trying to spot a cop or a honeybaby Anyway I got rid of the razo and eventually got used to the stock mirror.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:16 PM

i've been looking into the Autobahn Mirrors - the small ones that stick onto the windshield. of course you could always ride with the top down like Team Swift.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by FooF
so how does everyone get around them. obviously u can take the top down, and i was thinking about getting those mini-side rear view mirrors. the blindspots in the s2k are pretty...blinding...;/
FooF, they used to have a procedure in the FAQs section, but the old links don't work anymore, so here goes.

The idea of adjusting your three mirrors is to provide an overlapping view of the road behind you. You should be able to see a car move from one mirror to another and eventually along side of you and never lose sight of it.

In order to accomplish this, you need to do something that seems really odd at first. The door mirrors, once adjusted properly, will not show your car at all (at least on mine, anyway). I start by adjusting the mirrors out until I can't see the side of my car any longer. Then I go for a short drive on a multi lane road and stay in the right lane. I drive slower than the traffic to my left and watch the cars in the center mirror and then you should see it in both mirrors (center and driver's) and it should move to the driver's door mirror. Once the oncoming car starts to leave the door mirror, your mirror should be adjusted so that you should also see the car in your peripheral vision out the side window at the same time. This eliminates the blind spot! You can do the same thing for the other side mirror, also.

Only one caviat that about got me run over the other day: check the adjustment from time to time. Apparently my driver's mirror was bumped while it was in the garage and it threw my adjustment off and I didn't realize it. These mirrors swivel if they are hit and don't go back to the same position that they were in.

Sorry to be so wordy. Try this and see if you like it. It works, but takes some getting used to.

Bob
Old 06-05-2002, 03:10 PM

Here's my solution:

Aussie Mirror Mod

Quick Reply: blind spots