S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

BMW ppl get so touchy when their cars are compared to the S2000

Old 01-20-2002, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does everybody think they are personally being singled out or their beliefs being challenged when somebody puts up a post that criticizes conventional wisdom? I wasn't referring to any specific BMW or car; I was trying to comment on a larger social pattern, and the BMW post presented a convenient opportunity. BMWs are great cars, I just don't happen to think they're a very good value.

The whole point of my post was that way too many people buy cars (and we can make a very long list of brands) for the sake of status. I don't think that's a hard point to understand or even quarrel with. The Acura, Lexus, and other prestige upmarket brands of Honda, Toyota, and Nissan exist for no other reason.

This whole thread belongs off topic. It's for this reason that I never post even read posts there.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 2001 Spa Yellow S2000 a couple weeks ago I had narrowed my choices to a 2000 BMW "M" coupe and the S2K. My final determining factor for choosing the Honda was. Three year warranty vs. the remaining months on a used "M" coupe. The Honda looks better than either the M roadster of coupe. Honda's reputation for outstanding reliability. I've owned 3 Porsches and a BMW 7 series and am well aquainted with their finicky reliability ,and overpriced parts. Honda's suspension and chassis were also lightyears ahead of the BMW's. The only area where the BMW had it over the Honda was the outstanding amount of low end torque it delivers. And that, on it's own was not enough to sway me.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]Why does everybody think they are personally being singled out or their beliefs being challenged when somebody puts up a post that criticizes conventional wisdom?
Old 01-20-2002, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chazzy,

As I tried to say before, inadequately I suppose, I meant no offense to anyone in particular, and if I upset you, I apologize. The kind of people I'm talking about tend not to spend time on any car forum, particularly one like this and the BMW ones. I know many members of this board own BMWs and that's great. I just happen to dislike all German cars, for reasons that are purely personal and probably not at all objective. But my social observation stands, although it probably doesn't apply to many people on this board.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:03 PM

Rick,
I'm not at all offended. I'm always in for an interesting discussion. And you're absolutely right about your point. I was just picking at your example a little bit.

I'm sure you have your own reasons for disliking German cars ... that's an interesting point. I know of many people that refuse to buy Japanese cars for reasons that are probably comparable.

At any rate, we all walk away with cars that we're happy with. Life's too short for boring cars.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:53 PM

Hey Chazzy, good to see you on this board too..

I will have to disagree with this thread. Not ALL BMW owners are offended when comparing their cars to other cars. It honestlt depends on the people itself. Most of the people on the bimmer.org board are good, but the board attracts a lot of people who are there to spam and to toot their own horns. I think a lot has to do with the fact that you do not need to register to post..

'Rocket
Old 01-20-2002, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own both a 99 M coupe (now with suspension tweaks) and a stock (more or less) 2001 S2000.

I find it sad that some people feel it necessary to hate one thing in order to love another. I love both the BMW and the Honda.

I am in no way threatened by those who compare these two cars -- but I do find it odd because there are very few cars that are less alike.

What does get me going is when people spread ignorant opinions about either car -- in this case:

Honda's suspension and chassis were also lightyears ahead of the BMW's.
Wrong. Get your head out of Car and Driver and drive both cars. The BMW is actually more planted and more balanced than the S2000. 10-year-old suspension design? Who ****ing cares, a good design is a good design.

Precisely, they paid a lot more for a status purchase (evidence that would make Thorsten Veblen smile) and got a worse car, one that doesn't handle or perform as well and is less reliable.
The M coupe is faster in every measurable way when compared to the S2000. The reliability of the M coupe is not much if any worse than the S2000 (what TSB number are we up to now?).
Old 01-20-2002, 09:38 PM

"Wrong. Get your head out of Car and Driver and drive both cars. The BMW is actually more planted and more balanced than the S2000. 10-year-old suspension design? Who ****ing cares, a good design is a good design. "

"I own both a 99 M coupe (now with suspension tweaks) and a stock (more or less) 2001 S2000. "

Hehe.. That should tell you something right there..

btw, what suspension tweaks did you do to your M Coupe?

I am still researching my options to tighten down the suspension on my M Coupe..

TIA.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]Both are great cars...I personally like the s2000 much better though, especially the exterior styling
Old 01-21-2002, 05:28 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]Why does everybody think they are personally being singled out or their beliefs being challenged when somebody puts up a post that criticizes conventional wisdom?

Quick Reply: BMW ppl get so touchy when their cars are compared to the S2000