S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

bought my first S2000 today, what do you think?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm pretty sure I bought my old hardtop from this car.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. You will enjoy it for years.

Forgive me for saying this. But be careful with her until its warmer outside
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe
if you have a 00-01 with a plastic rear window do not put the top down when its cold outside. anything below about 50 will cause the window to crack and split
2nd this, I made this mistake on my AP1
Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also you may want to get it in to your mechanic for an engine check-leakdown, cylinder pressure
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up something similar(silver, 2001) but lacking those awesome red seats(I have boring black) for $10.5k but 40k+ more miles and balding tires. However it was in pristine condition(2nd owner made it a garage queen) and had a new aftermarket vinyl softtop with glass. I had a few shops look at it and all said "Perfect!"...

Good deal!

Be care in winter if your not using snow tires. Also, salt used on roads can can lead to rusting....Be sure to get security if it ain't garaged....seat theft isn't a joke judging by all the threads I've read. I'm putting in a hidden GPS track and custom alarm system. This car attracts alot of attention!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akesh45
I picked up something similar(silver, 2001) but lacking those awesome red seats(I have boring black) for $10.5k but 40k+ more miles and balding tires. However it was in pristine condition(2nd owner made it a garage queen) and had a new aftermarket vinyl softtop with glass. I had a few shops look at it and all said "Perfect!"...

Good deal!

Be care in winter if your not using snow tires. Also, salt used on roads can can lead to rusting....Be sure to get security if it ain't garaged....seat theft isn't a joke judging by all the threads I've read. I'm putting in a hidden GPS track and custom alarm system. This car attracts alot of attention!
Man you guys should have looked at my car for $19k with only 44,000 miles. It's like brand new and almost 14 years old. Just kidding. Congratulations on your new cars. You going to have a blast.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texture
After keeping my eyes open for a few months I pulled the trigger today. My main requirements were that it was stock or very close to it, the price was under 15K, had reasonable miles and not yellow. This car showed up on ebay today and I checked it out on my lunch hour. I had a check list, tires, fluids, top, blue smoke, clutch slip etc and everything was good. The body was close to perfect but the interior showed some wear, especially the drivers side seat bolster. I took it for a test drive and tracked straight, pulled hard to redline and the clutch didn't slip. Although the clutch didn't slip, it didn't feel wonderful either, it had a on/off feel, without much travel, is this normal? It should no signs of slipping, I tried the 30mph, 3rd gear full throttle test and the car pulled well but didn't feel like it had a lot of meat left on it.

It was listed for $13995 which I thought was a bargain for the miles and condition, I hoped to knock off $500-$1000 but the dealer knew it was cheap and said S2K's sell fast, as a courtesy he took off $100, so it came to $13895 + tax and tags, he didn't try to add on any sneaky dealer fees.

I left a deposit and will pick it up Saturday. I look forward to enjoying it for a while as a second car.

AP1s have adequate, if not a lot of torque below-VTEC. the motor should explode into action tho at WOT VTEC6K. whatever the motor's condition is, the two RPM ranges should be like night and day it's unmistakeable. i would check the VTEC soleniod (or oil pressure etc.) for malfunction. congrats, tho for that kind of investment i'd expect excitement.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you check out the "book" private party sales prices on these cars, you will find you got a good deal. As far as the original plastic rear window goes, if it is still in good shape at all, it is clear that the car has been garaged. To keep it nice, give it a treatment with 303 followed by Plexus twice a year to keep it that way -- and garage the car. Us short drivers (the only kind that should buy an s2k) can't see well out of those glass rear windows that came on later models. The driver's seat bolsters on these cars are a problem that is to be expected. Mine gave out under warranty (2001 model) and were replaced under warranty. Now, with 12 years and 34K on the odo, they are about gone again. The factory uses some sort of crude fiber for seat bolster padding. I'll have it replaced with some high-density foam. The bumpers on these cars are very delicate. My rear bumper has been replaced twice, due to small damage. The clutch? If it is not slipping, it's good. Cars with manual transmission are becoming rare. I've got four cars in my garage, and the only manual is my s2k. I live in CO and I don't drive the s2k in snow (it does not do well). Every time I fire her up in the spring (great convertible driving here in the spring, summer, and fall) I think the clutch feels "funny". When I get used to it, it feels fine.

Relax, and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Cmc can cause the spongy clutch feel too. Easy fix...

Car looks good!