S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Brembo Brake Upgrade.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkw,Aug 31 2006, 07:08 AM
Dead yes, but at least he did it the right way.. he searched for a topic, found a thread, and needed more info.. so instead of creating another worthless thread he piggybacked off this old one.

I know, I was just clarifying why this thread was dead.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkw,Aug 31 2006, 07:08 AM
Dead yes, but at least he did it the right way.. he searched for a topic, found a thread, and needed more info.. so instead of creating another worthless thread he piggybacked off this old one.

btw, and i totally agree with you
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

interesting to me is that my 2004 acura tl 6 speed comes with only front brembos and they really make a difference...so brembo is saying do the fronts and you will see an improvement...i don't drive hard enough that often to merrit an upgrade to these already excellent brakes.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason why i'm so "concerned" is that there have been really nice turbo offerings for the s2k. people have even developed diff/axle kits to beefen up the drivetrain twigs.

recently in scc debuted the real time racing drift s2k.

now all these hardcore guys making big power and big traction have to need big brakes right?

i guess the stoptech kit is as good as it gets...

the thing is this is a unique situation. the s2k comes with an ebrake assembly that is too large to fit inside of the smaller stoptech two piece rotor that is being used.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:01 PM

Remember that for street driving modifying the brakes almost always results in longer not shorter stopping distances. On the track where heat and fade become important then its another story. For street driving what determines stopping distance is tires and balance between the front and rear. You won't get better balance then the factory setup. Since the factory brakes have more then enough stopping power to lock up the tires nothing is gained with bigger brakes.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 PM

this is absolutely untrue. a properly designed brake kit will always perform on par or better than an oem setup which in some cases translates into shorter stopping distance.

of course this is with a properly setup brake kit. you can't try to make your own and expect it to work and you definitely can't trust all off the shelf stuff from jaydeemme land (of course some of it is great) or knockoff city.

if you do it right you'll be seeing better results on the street or on the track. if you do it wrong you'll see the detrimental effects on both also.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 PM

How can you see better results if you have a properly balanced system that is capable of locking up the wheels. Your limiting factor will be tire traction. A major car magazine in the last few months had a great article and it spelled out the myths of big brake kits. If the factory brakes have enough clamping pressure to lock up the wheels then all that matters is balance and tire traction. Its simply physics.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:10 PM

firstly i said on par or better than. it could be exactly the same.

secondly many oem setups are more strongly front biased than "optimal," optimal being up to the condition but even for an idealy generalized setup. you can ask stoptech personally about this. they FREQUENTLY adjust bias towards the rear in their full bbks as this improves the overall brake balance.

also scc conducted a test on their project evo, seeing the difference between the alcon ap bbk and the stoptech bbk. somehow the alcon ap won by a significant margin.

this is but a single way that exemplifies how you can have a disparity between well manufactured brake kits and how both are a far throw away from oem systems.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^How sure are you about that brake balance thing? I've heard from a few different guys that auto-x their S2Ks that there is a definate brake balance problem between the front & rear assemblies.

Also, as far as trinydex was saying, why would Stoptech make their aftermarket rotors for our cars smaller than the stock rotors? I've heard that their setup is extremely good, and nobody has ever mentioned anything about the e-brake not working with them.

If only Endless would make a rear kit, this would all be so easy....
Old 09-02-2006, 12:38 AM

stoptech does not make individual products for each car. they have 3-4 calipers and 5-6 rotors that they adapt the fitment of to each application.

the size and shape of the calipers, pads and rotors don't change. this keeps costs down and is one of the major selling points of stoptech as the pads are easy to find as they are shapes that all major brake pad manufacturers produce.

that said stoptech's pads are rather large. this in and of itself is a good thing because that means the pad can take more heat and it increases the friction amount. BUT this has to be factorod into the brake balance equation as pad size is one of the variables in the brake torque equation.

that said one way to compensate is to reduce radius. another is to reduce piston size. i'm sure stoptech did what it took and the end result was that the ebrake will not fit inside the chosen rotor application. perhaps a smaller dbrake assembly from a civic or something would fit!

Quick Reply: Brembo Brake Upgrade.