S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Brembo Brake Upgrade.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How sure are you about all of this info you have?

Guys in the road racing forum are saying that Stoptech is one of the only brake companies that actually builds each kit for each individual car -- these guys are running the Stoptech rotors and have recommended them to others without saying anything about the e-brake not working.

I also think it's ridiculous to say that Stoptech has 5-6 rotor designs and picked one that won't fit around the e-brake on the car.

I think this info is more a generalization about aftermarket brake companies -- Brembo, for instance, had a few different caliper, pad, and rotor designs that they adapt to various car models. I had a Brembo kit on one of my past cars and would frequently run thorough pads and rotors, I found out that I could swap both of them with nearly identical parts made my Nissin for other companies (AEM, Nismo, etc.). This is not something that Stoptech alone does, and from what I've heard Stoptech is one of the only companies that actually makes each kit for the specific vehicle. Where is your info coming from?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how sure am i... well i called them and they have a post on this forum that says their rear kit deletes the ebrake. that should be good enough.

they may have 5-6 rotor designs but how many of them are suitable for the rear of an s2k? you want a 14" rotor on the back of your car? that's what sounds ridiculous.

so... lemme ask you something. is it coincidental that all the stoptech kits fall under 3 caliper categories, the st40 and st60 and st22??? is it coincidental that the rotors used are: 282x25 282x28 322x22 324x30 325x32 328x28 328x35 332x32 355x32 355x35 380x32 380x35??? it is no coincidence... this is what they make. they adapt it to each car.

what purpose would their be to fabricate a caliper and rotor from scratch for each application? it makes better sense to fab the hats and mounting brackets and leave everything else is down to piston sizing and rotor selection, especially since those multiple factors in different combos can get you the same effective brake torque and hence proper brake bias.

YES THEY SELECTED A ROTOR THAT DOES NOT FIT THE EBRAKE. cuz it's stupid to put anything larger than 322 on the rear wheels of a sub 1.5 ton car.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 AM

Jesus you don't even understand how the brakes work within the s2000 much less how stoptech chooses to implement them. First off the parking brake in the s2000 isn't incorporated into the rotor, it's build into the rear caliper.

The reason that has been stated by stoptech why the could not provide an e-brake solution with their kit was because they could not provide a bracket that would mount both the ST22 caliper and the ST10 parking brake caliper safely. The existing mounting bolt holes were not large enough/deep enough to mount the bracket securely enough for them. If you could redrill/tap the holes it would probably work, but they explicitly stated the product has to be bolt on, no redrilling. By removing the parking brake caliper they were able to design a bracket that would safely mount the caliper with existing mount points. They couldn't make it work to their comfort when they had to mount both the regular and parking brake caliper.

Actually stoptech does design each system for each car(but that doesn't mean that don't reuse parts when the need to). The key to customization isn't as much in changing the caliper body as it is changing the piston diameters. With the ST40 stoptech advertises 8 different piston sizes which means at least 8 different configuations with as many as 36. Alot of different vehicles can be supported at that range. Don't think that because two cars use ST40 calipers that those calipers are the same it is very likely they have different piston configs.

For the s2000 there isn't a brake caliper upgrade needed, the most hardcore racers get by just fine with stock brake calipers. You see what's important isn't the caliper size, it's tire compound, brake pad compound and the right brake pad fluid.

The advantages to a BBK ARE NOT improved stopping distance. It's only greater heat tolerance, better brake 'feel' and in some cases lower weight.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:44 AM

uhm... so i already said that about the stoptech customization... i they have radius and piston size to play with to achieve their desired brake torque number given pads are the same all around.

i had called them and they the guy i talked to had talked about a conventional ebrake system. and admittedly, it'd be easier to think about retrofitting such a system onto the 322 rotor yes? that's what i was talkin' about... i don't know what they tried to do with the st10 caliper as i didn't much care because the fact is they didn't do it. the guy said they couldn't fit the s2k's ebrake inside the rotor, misinformation, can't blame him.

they are improved stopping distance if they improve the upon the stock brake bias...

the brake pad and fluid equation is universal for almost all modern cars... what's your point? that the s2k has perfect brake balance from the factory?

seriously what the **** is wrong with you people here at s2ki? i thought evom was bad, my goodness... half the time you people don't answer questions in thread and the other half of the time you're either spouting off how much you know and rehashing half of what i said or just not bringing anything to the table at all.

i'll give you this... you "caught" me on the ebrake thing... i DO know how they work, but the guy at stoptech threw me off.... in any case the damn ebrake isn't there... satisfied? maybe you can answer some of my other questions in the other threads since you're keen on 'learnin'' me a few things.