S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bringing a S2K from Japan into the States

Old 01-28-2001, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much work is it if one wanted to bring a JDM (Type-V) into the states?

What costs will be involved (not including shipping, travel etc)

What sorta hoops do you have to jump thru?
Old 01-28-2001, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rylan, wouldn't your concern be on making it street-legal? Unless of course you mean purely as a track car...imagine being pulled over in a RHD...
Old 01-28-2001, 08:53 PM

I love driving RHD cars here... but I digress. You will not be allowed to import that car... too many things blocking you in the face of customs, DOT and EPA. Mind you, there are grey ways to import it if you have alot of money, time and patience... but for a simple variation of what we already have, IMHO it's not worth it.

Just my two cents (and experience).
Old 01-28-2001, 09:19 PM

yeah, sounds like a lot of work. HOWEVER, I heard of a local guy (local to the San Francisco Bay Area, that is) who was going to get his car stongarded at "Detailwurkz" in campbell. From what I hear (super third-hand info) he has "special-ordered" a BLUE s2k without emblems from Japan. If any of you know this person or IS that person, maybe you can explain. This doesn't sound like bringing in an actual Japan spec s2k, but rather, special ordering a US bound s2k to his own specs (blue w/ no emblems, as you know, we don't get them in blue in the U.S.).

Well, I guess this doesn't quite address the original post, but perhaps it may stir up some other specifics regarding ordering cars from Japan.
Old 01-28-2001, 10:00 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay Li
[B]Rylan, wouldn't your concern be on making it street-legal?
Old 01-29-2001, 06:21 AM

Sigh, yes I have imported and tried to relay the futility of importing a type V but here we go...

As I've said there are grey ways to import it:

1) Cars can be legally imported without crash certification or smog if older than 25years of age. This is a rolling age limit so this year it would be 1976 or older. This is how I got my 1970 Australian Mini Cooper S here (RHD).

2) You are allowed to import any age or model car if you are a foriegner and are allowed to keep and drive the car in the states for up to 1 year, in which case it must then be deported. This is how a Smart Car is cruising around Berkeley.

3) You crash certify X amount of cars and smog certify them to start importing a previously unknown model (think skylinegtr.com)

4) You import a car unavailble in the US but has significant importance and uniqueness. This car will not be allowed to drive on the road and can be used for show only purposes.

5) Dissassemble the engine transmission and body, ship them all over independently and reassemble stateside clearing customs independently. Register as a kit car. (this is partially how a friend of mine will have a Porsche GT3)

I must also note that a Type V will be difficult to register with DOT and EPA because a model specific to the country is already sold here and they have strict rules that if a current model *is* sold that one being imported has to comply under the exact same specs.*Any* deviation isn't allowed (how a friend's Canadian car had to go back north).

Good luck if you persue it... that's all the advice I have and hope it informs others if they do a search in the future on the limitations of importing cars.

-loki
Old 01-29-2001, 07:23 AM

I didn't know that driving a RHD was street legal here...my bad.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:09 AM
Administrator

thanks for the info loki.
Old 01-29-2001, 02:32 PM

Loki-

#5 on your list is completely illegal. It may have been done, but if DOT and EPA ever found out about those kinds of cars the owners would be in DEEP trouble. Think- crushing said car in question, and a BIG fine...

Also...

As of last summer, cars that may have a left hand drive version registered in the USA will not be certified by DOT or EPA due to several manufacturers' unwillingness to assume liability for crashworthiness and emmissions conformance according to USA code. So, that pretty much would negate any RHD S2000 or Aristo (GS300 twin turbo) that you may also want to bring over, or that Range Rover you just bought off the Queen.

At this moment in time, the ONLY legal way to bring in a car that meets USA DOT and EPA requirements is #1-4. a Type V S2000 will not meet #1 and #4, and #2 (Autopass) depends on your nationality and is not a permenant solution. Which, unfortunately, leaves #3- jumping through all the hoops and governmental "pits of fire" to get conformance. It's very tough to get a car to comply with everything- many cars do not meet EPA OBDII code and are fined accordingly (think- Honda!). I'm sure that's why the Lotus Elise, all the TVRs and several other esoteric sports car brands do not come to the USA.
Old 01-29-2001, 05:40 PM
Administrator

what if it was for track use only?

Quick Reply: Bringing a S2K from Japan into the States