S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bringing a S2K from Japan into the States

Old 01-29-2001, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GTRPower
Loki-

I'm sure that's why the Lotus Elise, all the TVRs and several other esoteric sports car brands do not come to the USA.
Somebody is doing it in Newport Beach, CA has I have seen a Lotus Elise and a McLaren F1 there. The Lotus is gone but the McLaren is still there as of last night. I cruised by and ogled the rides. It was neat to note that in a showroom stuffed with Modenas, Maranellos, Diablos, Espirits, etc the McLaren was the only car roped off in the corner that you can't approach!!
Old 01-29-2001, 09:38 PM

But only the McLaren F1 deserves the rope!

GTR, #5 is a grey area, some may call it illegal but it is a loophole. Unfortunately DOT and EPA can't do anything about it because it's playing by their rules <g>. In actuality my friend ordered a normal 911 (just shipped over) and had the engine and tranny of a GT3 brought over along with all the special interior/exterior bits that make that model unique. Thus he's converting his legal car into a GT3 and selling off the original motor/tranny (going into a Boxster). This way is completely legal compared to the dissassembly/assembly of a normal GT3. Bill Gates should have been so smart with his 959s.

Krazik, if you don't get bit by the clause following #5, you will only be able to drive it *on* the track, that means trailering it to and from whichever race track since DMV will not issue any sort of tags to it.
Old 01-29-2001, 10:42 PM

Hey, that's a smart thing that guy did w/ the GT3. Because it appears that getting it registered that "first" time is the doozy. After that you can do whatever you please with the motor and tranny as long as you keep passing smog every two years, right? So in that case we could simply buy a reg S2K here and order all the parts from Japan that make it a V-spec and switch it out when the parts arrive, right?

Second issue, so now we know that its tough importing cars but what about "special orders" from the manufacturer? Lets say I wanted an s2k in green (or some other color that is not stock), could I have honda take an s2k that is BOUND FOR THE U.S. and paint it that color or do special things to it that a normal U.S. s2k wouldn't have (like the japanese spec 6 spoke wheels, etc.)?
Old 01-30-2001, 06:35 AM

Yes shipping V-spec items over and swapping them is an option, but you'll be like my friend, essentially having a "cloned" V spec (his case, GT3) which won't have matching VINs. Considering the amount of money you'd put into it, you won't be able to resell it for nearly as much. So you'll have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?

Second problem, finding Vspec parts to ship over. Fortunately Porsche is a much more profitable enthusiast market compared to the normal Honda owner.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, I have no real plans to visit Japan and buy an S2K... I love mine already.

Just was curious about the logistics of it.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2001, 08:13 PM

About the VIN's matching. I assume that if you were to ship over all the parts that would make it a V-spec, the only ones with actual VIN's on them would be the engine (and tranny?), but when I brought me car to the DMV for registration, during the inspection, the only places they looked for the VIN are the placard on the bottom edge of the windshield, and the barcode sticker in the door jamb. I don't recall them looking for the VIN on the engine. So will that be OK? Maybe they look at the engine at other DMV's?
Old 01-30-2001, 08:20 PM

Hey loki where did you get the 5 rules from? Can you post the link? thanks!
Old 01-30-2001, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm well on the way to making '01 #52 a Type V. I've just received the titanium gearbox trim and titanium cup holder cover trim.

Item number 2 in this link:

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automobiles/...rior/in_01.html

Of course, cracking the plastic gear box trim during my clumsy install of Rick's leather shift boot had more to do with it than wanting a LHD Type V.

Next I'll have to get those 6 spoke wheels!

Barry in Wyoming
Old 01-30-2001, 08:41 PM

nwk00,

those 5 rules are from my own experience...

Sorry, no link... you're readin' the source.
Old 01-31-2001, 07:44 AM

Shipping over V parts and modifying a US-spec car would be a cool idea. There are some things that will slow you down:

1. where will you get the parts? Isn't that a Japanese limited edition to only 300?

2. you can get ALL the parts who can install them? You'd need a skilled tech well versed in Japanese to read any instructions or a master mechanic who can do it viscerally.

3. Is it worth the cost?

Another thing, wouldn't it be cheaper to have an S2000 repainted here in the states rather than get a "special ordered blue?"

Quick Reply: Bringing a S2K from Japan into the States