S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying my first S2000

Old 12-18-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first S2000

I am currently in the process of buying my first S2000. I’m 18 years old and it has been my dream car since I was 5. The one I got is a 2007 Formula Red one with 82k miles. I paid $19,500 for it. I couldn’t be anymore excited but I’m kind of caught up in the moment looking past everything so is there anything I should know and look out for? Should I get a valve adjustment as soon as i get it? Should I replace the TCT as soon as possible? Thanks for the help
Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaAP2
I am currently in the process of buying my first S2000. I’m 18 years old and it has been my dream car since I was 5. The one I got is a 2007 Formula Red one with 82k miles. I paid $19,500 for it. I couldn’t be anymore excited but I’m kind of caught up in the moment looking past everything so is there anything I should know and look out for? Should I get a valve adjustment as soon as i get it? Should I replace the TCT as soon as possible? Thanks for the help
Valve adjustment is really up to the previous owner. If it was done prior to your purchase and you can confirm/prove that it's been done, there's no point. If you suspect it's never been done, or it was done a while back. Do it for a piece of mind. You can DIY it yourself, or a competent S2000 specific shop can do it, and it's relatively inexpensive.

TCT - I was in your shoes 2 months ago too with my (new to me) S2000. My mechanic said there is no point in replacing it unless there are definite signs of failure. Mine made zero sounds/rattles, holding off on it until I hear the first signs of rattle. BUT, you can just do it and not ever worry about it. So there's that argument as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Just to offer a difference of opinion.

Yes.
Yes.

Unless you bought this car from another member here I doubt either of these was done and they're both DIY. The valve clearance is vital. It's a two hour job on a Saturday morning in your garage (or Dad's) on a cold engine. Moving it inside you'll need to let it cool, the head heats up fast. Ya need bent feeler gauges, the $12 valve tool from Amazon, and maybe some new gaskets. An excellent photo essay in our library. Setting the valve clearance is easier with the spark plugs out so fit a new set of OEM plugs while you're in there. Set the valves to the Max clearance. Our very own master S2000 mechanic (Billman) recommends the exhaust be set to 0.001 over spec. That would be 0.012". Valves tighten in use.

And speaking of Billman his Gen-X TCT is the way to go. This is a 10 minute job.

I checked my valves and installed the Billman TCT as preventive maintenance at about 40,000 miles. You're way over that mark.

-- Chuck
Old 12-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Just to offer a difference of opinion.

Yes.
Yes.

Unless you bought this car from another member here I doubt either of these was done and they're both DIY. The valve clearance is vital. It's a two hour job on a Saturday morning in your garage (or Dad's) on a cold engine. Moving it inside you'll need to let it cool, the head heats up fast. Ya need bent feeler gauges, the $12 valve tool from Amazon, and maybe some new gaskets. An excellent photo essay in our library. Setting the valve clearance is easier with the spark plugs out so fit a new set of OEM plugs while you're in there. Set the valves to the Max clearance. Our very own master S2000 mechanic (Billman) recommends the exhaust be set to 0.001 over spec. That would be 0.012". Valves tighten in use.

And speaking of Billman his Gen-X TCT is the way to go. This is a 10 minute job.

I checked my valves and installed the Billman TCT as preventive maintenance at about 40,000 miles. You're way over that mark.

-- Chuck
From what I've read, a knowledgeable S2000 owner should check for the valve clearance every 10,000miles. And definitely re-adjustment every 20,000miles at the latest.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

one word.
maintenance.

this includes the aforementioned valve adjustment, plus change all fluids including coolant (10 yrs from new then every 5 yrs) with quality products (Honda coolant only), Honda oil filter, rear axle nut retorque, clutch interlock bypass, alignment, clutch slave cylinder delay valve removal, good tires (try the continental extreme contact sport (340 utqg) if you're watching your $'s, or something even better with 200 utqg). Nice to haves include the billman250 TCT and engine torque damper- Christmas is coming!

I can not stress enough to not cheap out on tires...and don't be that guy at cars and coffee.

enjoy the ride!
darcy
Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Agree with Darcy, change out all the fluids. This could run you already $300-$600 or do yourself and save some money. TCT not really needed unless its making noise. Valve adjustment, there are plenty tutorials to show you how but if you have never wrenched whatsoever I would stay away from it.

Last edited by vicrc; 12-18-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

I agree with all the maintenance advice given above.

I recall quite well being 18 and my first car. (with 3 on the tree) I would add that the condition and quality of the tires can have quite an impact. (Pun intended) A loss of control, spinout, and impact with something can quickly nullify all the great maintenance you may have performed. You do have VSA and may I suggest you keep it engaged as you get to know this car. Tires are not inexpensive and you will go through them faster than other sedan type cars. Lots of threads on accidents when sub-par tires hit a patch of damp road, metal bridge grates, or ice and the results are ugly.

I would not modify for a year, at least, so you can save your money and become comfortable with it.

Avoid the "look at this guys" driving or demonstrations of speed, cornering, or drag racing. The differential is not built for constant clutch popping and dragging. Do not drink and drive. Really.

You may want to look at autocross to improve your driving skills.

Have fun, you will and good luck!