S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

can you guys really feel and hear the VTEC kickn in??

Old 10-15-2003, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you guys really feel and hear the VTEC kickn in??

i had a celica gts previously before i got my S2K and when my GTS's VVTI-L kicks in @ 6,300rpm i hear a higher pitch and a great amount of torque. I've driving around like crazy tring to rack up miles on my brand new S2K so I can break in the engine. I finally did and I was expecting a scream @6,500rpm but then I was like "wheres the VTEC?" I didnt feel that distinctive torque or hear that distinctive scream. Is somthing wrong with my car or did i just have really high expectations from the S2K?
Old 10-15-2003, 06:24 AM

Something is wrong with your car....sell it.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The VTEC transition is pretty smooth on the S2000, however you should still be able to feel it in lower gears (1st or 2nd). If you add a CAI, the intake noise changes drastically above 6k RPM.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good day ,
i can't comment on a 04 s2k but my 03 pushes me back in the seat and screams like a bat out of hell .You may not be engaging
Old 10-15-2003, 06:43 AM

I have a similar situation. In 1st gear, it's almost unnoticeable (in terms of getting that "thrown-back-in-your-seat" feeling), but in 2nd gear it's much more apparent.

Have you checked your oil level lately? Low oil level could account for the lack of VTEC-ness. (Is that even a word?! )

MXT, can I ask a dumb question? What functional purpose does the CAI serve?

Thanks!

~Kim~
Old 10-15-2003, 06:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had passengers in my car that could not feel the difference, but I found it quite unmistakeable. (And VERY obvious.) Of course, I always hit it at WOT (wide open throttle.) If you hit it with only a partial throttle input, it is much less drastic.

As mentioned, if you get a cold air intake the crossover is INSANE and impossible to miss (especially at WOT.) I have had dyed in the wool big block chevy guys say: damn your car is LOUD with the CAI.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:45 AM

i gotta admit that there is alot of pull in 1st to 2nd gear. However, when im traveling on the freeway going about 60mph and i drop the gear down to 3rd, when the rpms hit 6k i cant tell that the VTEC is kickin in. I really should drive some other s2k and see if its my car or not.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JerseyGirl

MXT, can I ask a dumb question?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by tygac
i gotta admit that there is alot of pull in 1st to 2nd gear. However, when im traveling on the freeway going about 60mph and i drop the gear down to 3rd, when the rpms hit 6k i cant tell that the VTEC is kickin in. I really should drive some other s2k and see if its my car or not.
I doubt it's just your car. Like I said, the S2000 has a pretty smooth transition at VTEC (which is a good thing, because it means that we are maximizing the available power). Additionally, it doesn't have just gobs of torque, so it won't feel like a huge rush in 3rd gear.
Maybe you should try doing a back-to-back test with the Celica and see if you're still dissatisfied with the S2000's performance. If so, I'd recommend that you sell the S2000 and get the Celica back.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:11 AM

I only had my S2000 for a few weeks without my AEM CAI (even though I don't really like modding my cars as much as I used to, I feel a CAI is mandatory)... so I can't comment on stock as I can't remember.

But with the CAI, you NOTICE when VTEC kicks in, and people around you in other cars and walking down the street notice you too... it has a very, very nice sound to it.

Oh, and I really think 3rd gear is the best to hit VTEC in... the car pulls super hard in 3rd gear.

The other easy way to know you are using the VTEC cam profile is to accelerate normally to 5,800 RPM in 1st gear, and then hammer it.

Damn, keep thinking of things to add after I reply... You could hear/feel it in a Celica GT-S? My roommate owns one. I happened to trade cars with him yesterday... lift just isn't that noticeable in his car. I mean, it picks up speed, but there isn't a huge change in sound. There was when he had a CAI but it has since been put back to stock...

Quick Reply: can you guys really feel and hear the VTEC kickn in??