S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The Case For Keeping It Stock

Old 06-03-2001, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Bieg
Man is this what you do on your Saturday nights? Ponder why OTHERS choose to mod their cars? And obviously you DO care what others do to their car because otherwise you wouldn't spend so much time making a case for not doing it. You'd just choose to not do it to YOUR car.
Personal attack, you have not addressed the topic, you have instead chosen to attack the person who wrote it.

I think this is more a question about why you were motivated to express this opinion written in Strike's special way
Old 06-03-2001, 02:48 AM
Bieg

Everything I've done can be undone (that is very important to me for resale value)...
Obviously you agree with one of the main points I am making.

To answer your question I have "modified" my car as follows;

RM Racing Polished Alloy Stuff;
Dead Pedal
Shock Tower Bar
Oil Cap
Battery Hold Down
Fuel Rail Cover

Muz Mat
Alpine Speakers (direct drop ins)

All stock parts have been saved (in ziplock bags) and I could have it back to pure stock in an hour.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:54 AM
Administrator

AH HA!

If your main point is that the S2000 is the most F'ing sweet sports car to be had by us mortals, yes I agree. I also think that most of the mods that people make are along these same lines (easily reverseable). I would never do body kits or any such thing but to each their own I guess.

Some of the parts are actually not very expensive, the dash for example is only about $250, which incidently is 1/2 the price of a new side strake Those must not have been designed by the same engineers
Old 06-03-2001, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Oh, and if you think some of the extensive mods done here in the US of A are over the top, you should check out what they do in Japan It's also interesting to point out that Honda itself is in the aftermarket parts game too. Check out the Modulo stuff. Those 17" wheels are sweet indeed.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:02 AM
Bieg

I also think that most of the mods that people make are along these same lines (easily reverseable). I would never do body kits or any such thing but to each their own I guess.
That is the main point.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:07 AM
Bieg

If Honda is making the parts is it aftermarket? Sounds like a factory hop up part along the lines of AMG for Mercedes, TRD for Toyota, SVO for Ford, etc....

Honda has a racing parts development arm for their Bikes, HRC, Honda Racing Corp.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:16 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]If Honda is making the parts is it aftermarket?
Old 06-03-2001, 03:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]DISCLAIMER:
There is a certain minimalist purity in it's design.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the most part I agree with Bieg. As an upcoming owner (sept. delivery) I cannot say with certainty that I won't be performing any modifications. True, from a resale standpoint pure stock is the most desireable, just watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions and see what really is in demand. Tricked-out anythings aren't even on the block. Yet the audience here,in this forum, is a portion of population of S2000 owners (and wannabes) who gather to share their experiences, generally in the area of modifications and/or news, rumors etc. To this segment of owners, leaving the car 'showroom stock' is the equivalent of owning fine furniture with plastic slip covers. The car is to be enjoyed, enhanced and envied, not placed on some pedestal of purity. I am certain that there is a percentage of owners who are not even aware of the universe of available after-market mods. They would have little or no reason to participate in forums such as this, unless the bug bites them. Who would spend a minute of their day on a site where owners gather to say 'i like mine just the way it is' and 'me too' day in and day out. There is a spectrum of individuals from conservatives (mats, console covers, dead pedals etc.) to the dreaded 'ricers' (exhausts with diameters the size of coffee cans, wings on which you could set a table for four) and everyone in between. True, the S2k is an incredible car right out of the box, little if anything is needed to differentiate it from the masses of non-S2k's. Honda has delivered something fine enough in stock form, but it is a car that ignites passion in its owners, and passion is expressed in different ways by each of us.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:41 AM
Administrator

If we are discussing the S2000 as art, I would agree with you Rick. It's not. It's a product manufactured by a profit making company with shareholders and all the usual corporate crap. If you are looking for the "pure" vision of the S2000 I think you would have to look to the SSM and the conceptual drawings rather than the final product. Concept and reality are not always one in the same.

All of the usual marketing studys, consumer testing, etc were done with the S2000 just like everything else. The wheels could have been 17" and 1/2 the weight and forged instead of cast. The brakes bigger with multiple pistons and a more powerful master cylinder. The rotors could have been ceramic. The shocks and springs adjustable. The seats could have had heaters. The window could have been glass. The stereo could have been a 6 speaker Nakamichi. The list goes on.

We don't have these things because you cant have them for $32,000. But I don't see what's wrong with people adding them after them fact if they can afford them and desire the benefits offered by having them. Simply because Honda couldn't supply them within the constraints they had to work with doesn't mean they aren't good. There are very few options available to make our cars "just right" for us offered at the time of sale. Contrast this to the enormous list offered for the Boxster. Many of these same options are also available for the S2000 (at similar prices), just not on the factory order sheet.

Quick Reply: The Case For Keeping It Stock