S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Colgan Came Today - I'm Not Impressed

Old 11-23-2001, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colgan Came Today - I'm Not Impressed

I ordered the Colgan Bra (I'm sure this will bring on the jokes) and it came in today. It fits the S very tightly and has way to many elastic loops and brackets (whatever you call them) to hold it on. I'm not convinced this thing isn't going to scratch or bend the edges of my bumper and finder wells. Also, the hood is much harder to close with it on with the two layers of material to deal with. The fit of both pieces is tight. It seems well made. I'm concerned that it will not fit well after much use. The brackets are the only thing that hold the thing on and they just bend around the edges. It looks great on the car!

Anyone else using one of these things? I'd like to hear from someone who has used one for a while.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:45 PM

I have one that I use on club drives, long hwy trips and the track. It stays on well enough up to about 100mph but I have used racers tape on track days to be safe. I wouldn't recommend leaving it on for any length of time...I have found that it tends collect dust under the edges and leaves some scratches if after a few days. The come out very easily with some polish, though.

All in all...it's a pian in the ass to use, but I don't really like the StonGard stuff so it's either the bra or a dinged up bumper.
Old 11-24-2001, 03:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using mine for nearly two years without any scratching problems. I only put a clean bra on a clean car and remove it when it rains. The bra will stretch a little and be easier to install and remove after a little use.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:09 AM

JohnyBoy32 and CoralDoc,

Has there been any damage to your fender well liner where the clips go between the fender and the liner? There is a "tool" to install that, but I wonder if over time the plastic will be damaged. On mine, the clip is close to a screw that holds the plastic in place.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this post. This is one of the things that I enjoy most about this forum - learning from others experience.

Blessings,
garyj
Old 11-24-2001, 09:18 AM

Could somebody post a picture of your bra?
Old 11-24-2001, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
I've been using mine for nearly two years without any scratching problems. I only put a clean bra on a clean car and remove it when it rains. The bra will stretch a little and be easier to install and remove after a little use.
Same here but, at times, have been too lazy to remove when it rains. No damage. Have not noticed any damage to wheel well liners. I keep mine on from April till July. The bugs are tough on the white paint.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary - The only change caused by the bra mounting clips is some slight deformation of the plastic liner where the clips insert. Some may call it "damage" but I'd rather have bent plastic that is difficult to see than paint chips on the nose.

Here's a photo of the bra on my car. It has not come loose or blown off at high rates of speed .
Old 11-24-2001, 07:11 PM

Has anyone purchased one of the sport bras? I believe they are the ones that just cover the front of the hood. I was wondering how effective they might be, and whether they are a decent alternative to the full bra? I'm thinking of getting something as I do a lot of highway driving on roads where they use sand for icy conditions. (Often it seems it is small rocks!)
Old 11-24-2001, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the colgan bra, and it fits fine. After the first time of putting it on, it becomes a bit easier to do. It was on at the time I had my accident and it still stayed strapped right on, even with the bumper deformation and the fender being crushed in..

Oh, and the new version of the colgan bra will do fine at speeds in excess of 100mph. They added a little bit of reinforcement in the headlight area that keeps it from flopping up like it used to with the older colgan bra which is the one pictured a few posts up. The new bra looks slightly different.