S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering selling my $25000 car to buy an S2000 and a beater

Old 06-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering selling my $25000 car to buy an S2000 and a beater

The title pretty much says it all. I have an Accord that I bought last year and I can comfortably afford a $25,000 car at the moment. I've been considering buying a car that is a little older (Civic, Mazda 3, or maybe a 4-cyl SUV) and buying an S2000 in the $15000-$20000 range. I would ideally be looking for a 2006-2007 so I know it wouldn't be cheap. I sold my S2000 eight years ago and I have been wanting another ever since, just hasn't been the right time. I live in NJ so I can't have an S2000 as my daily, and even if I could I'm 6'3 and I need more room.

For those of you that may have this setup, do you recommend it? Seems a little crazy putting most of your money toward a car you only use once or twice a week but I have a very short commute to work and I only put about 500 miles per month on my car now. Thanks if you can read this and respond.

Matt
Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with beaters is that they're, um, beaters. They often require a lot of maintenance and repair $$ immediately after purchase, ongoing repairs, and concerns about lack of reliability. They can take a toll on your time, wallet, and reputation. ("Joe's out again because his car won't start and he won't drive his sports car in the snow.")

Another option to consider is buying a S2000 and leasing an inexpensive car that is reliable, always under warranty, has known monthly costs, and is replaced every 2-3 years.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with that, would be more fun than having an accord only. Most dont DD their S2000, especially those that see snow. I have a Town car as a beater and love my set up.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I went that route, buying an s2000 and a beater Mazda pickup truck. However, I soon realized that my S became the daily commuter, and the truck has slowly become a driveway ornament. The S is just too fun to NOT drive everyday. That's not to say that my pickup doesn't see the road; I use it when I make the occasional Costco run, or if the weather is REALLY crappy (which is not often due to this California weather).

It's never a bad idea to have a backup car.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by car compulsive
The problem with beaters is that they're, um, beaters. They often require a lot of maintenance and repair $$ immediately after purchase, ongoing repairs, and concerns about lack of reliability. They can take a toll on your time, wallet, and reputation. ("Joe's out again because his car won't start and he won't drive his sports car in the snow.") Another option to consider is buying a S2000 and leasing an inexpensive car that is reliable, always under warranty, has known monthly costs, and is replaced every 2-3 years.
This

I bought a beater when I first moved back east and then had to buy another one. Once that one started giving me trouble I said F it and bought a newish pathfinder.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmm, so my dad has your exact car ('13 Accord Sport). I have an AP1 and an '01 M5, and about the same commute (500 miles/month). My thoughts:

1) You can get a reliable, even somewhat fun beater easily with the remainder of $25k after buying a good S2k.

2) Even though I love my M5, I end up driving the S2k 5-6 days a week. I don't find it that uncomfortable or impractical for just going to work and back 12 miles each way in some traffic, and it's a lot more fun than being bored to death in a bland car. In fact I love commuting in a car that's engaging, nimble, and has tidy proportions.

3) I do like my dad's Accord Sport, but with that said, I'd pick an S2k + beater in a heartbeat. Beaters are nice because you just don't have to worry, and an S2k is a heck of a lot more fun than an Accord.

4) An S2k is reliable, and although you'll spend more on maintaining and insurance two cars vs. one, you probably will face less depreciation so it's a wash.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by car compulsive
The problem with beaters is that they're, um, beaters. They often require a lot of maintenance and repair $$ immediately after purchase, ongoing repairs, and concerns about lack of reliability. They can take a toll on your time, wallet, and reputation. ("Joe's out again because his car won't start and he won't drive his sports car in the snow.")

Another option to consider is buying a S2000 and leasing an inexpensive car that is reliable, always under warranty, has known monthly costs, and is replaced every 2-3 years.
This is a straight Car Salesman pitch. Lol
Old 06-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Thank you so much for your replies

By "beater" I don't mean a hunk of crap. I'd ideally be looking for an car that is economical with 100,000 miles or less. Some of you may be right, the car may just sit there until it snows. I did daily drive my S2000 years ago but like I said, I'm just too tall for that. I actually love my Accord and I was planning on running it into the ground, but my girlfriend bought a new Altima sedan last year and I feel like we have the same car So, I have been looking into alternatives considering we have a while before we're having kids and I live with her so I could use her car if need be.

I do appreciate your advice though and hopefully it will work out.

Matt
Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Having 2 cars is great, but it's all about compromise and you have to decide how to split the budget between them. I have a 2006 Mazda3 hatch for a daily "beater". It's reliable, practical, comfortable, and even a decent amount of fun with basic suspension mods and manual transmission. My S2000 is easily worth 3x the Mazda, but that doesn't bother me.

12 years ago I was daily driving a brand new G35. Having 2 cars wasn't even something that I considered at the time, but I much prefer the setup I have now.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's completely possible to do this, and better now because that Accord will keep on depreciating. You can still get good money for it now. Beaters are hit and miss but you can come across some well maintained ones that are great mechanically.

I sold my TSX over a year ago to pick up a $1500 Civic with 185,000 miles. Right now it's at just over 200,000 and all I've done is change the oil.

Quick Reply: Considering selling my $25000 car to buy an S2000 and a beater