S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Contemplating S2000 purchase/ Questions.

Old 11-26-2000, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you fine folks get these kind of questions alot but I couldn't find a similar thread (you all do post alot) and after a few hours of reading up here are my questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Price- Went to dealer today and they were trying to sell them for 39,900. Umm no thanks, I have 36 to spend and want to save some money for mods. Can one be found for MSRP?? BTW: Not planning on purchasing till summer of 2001 so perhaps someone can predict the future.

Torque- Currently drive a Dodge ram (Solar yellow, 5.1 v8), ford excursion (Triton V-10, red) and Audi A4 (1.8T, black) and most of my other experiance is with Camaro V8's and BMW I-6's. As my UserName might indicate, the prospect of dropping the clutch at high-revs doesnt paticularly entice me and I was wondering what the optimal rev to drop it at is and how this affects your transmission?

Sound system- new head unit and speakers I gurantee but when I looked at that trunk in the showroom today it looked very wee, esp. for something like two 12's. Anyone else have a nice system in there cars and still have some trunk space?

Exhaust- Would like a little louder, throatier sound, but I've heard that quite a few exhaust systems might actually rob you of power?!? Is there any truth in this and how much would a nice sounding (I realize this is subjective)and well-performing exhaust system run me?

Tuning- This goes along with the exhaust but is the idea that the s2000 is a engine tuned near its limit right? I've heard the oppurtunities to tune the engine are small and you can really hurt the cars performance with some parts.

Rice boy image- What do S2000 owners consider themselves? Do you guys look down on the rice burners or consider yourselves one and the same.

Weather- I live in Ft. Lauderdale (near Miami) Fl, where people can't vote for themselves and need the courts to tell them how to do it, but it rains alot here, how are the seals on the S2000? At least I don't have to worry about the cold.

Also, anyone have the backyard special body kit? I really like the look of it and wondering if anyone has a complaint. Lastly, how bout 19" wheels? Will they fit? Got my eyes on the Ace alloy wheels "Monoco"

Thanks in advance for any help

Drew
Old 11-26-2000, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price: Some were able to get it at MSRP, but not many. Most had to wait to get it. I got mine for about MSRP+$3.5k. Depending on how desperate you are, I would consider anything below MSRP plus a few k. Is the one for $39k loaded with the forced options? Some dealers will advertise MSRP, but force options, like $1k for a $200 spoiler.
Torque: If you're going to drag race, don't bother, the S2K doesn't have the torque of large engines. To get a great launch, you need to pop the clutch at above 6k. If you like twisties, this car is for you. Handling, agility and acceleration once you're in VTEC range is what this car is GREAT at.
Sound System: The exhaust note is great. That's the real sound system for me. The stereo isn't up to most's par. Some have boosted power with amps and have been happy, some have replaced all.
Exhaust: There are quit a few after market exhausts. None have had a huge impact in power output, but many report a noticable increase in throttle response.
Tuning: Need to spend big cash to get little gains. Air filter and bored throttle body are common upgrades.
Riceboy Image: Not for S2K owners, as long as you don't put cheap low profile wheels that show a 5" gap between the brakes and rim, not put a coffee can exhaust, and not plaster the car with oversize decals. I don't think S2Ks are anywhere close to ricer. Sk2 owners run the spectrum to ex (and current) Ferrari/Porsche/Bugatti owners, to (like myself) the driving enthusiest that had to do a lot of sole (and walet) searching before buying an S2K.
Weather: Haven't heard an epidemic of complaints about leaks. I don't drive mine in heavy rains.
19" wheels: Maybe, but not many have gone bigger than 18"

Good luck. Hope you end up with one.
Old 11-27-2000, 03:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Drew,

The S2K is very different than the torquey trucks and American iron that you mentioned, and is closer in engine response to the Audi. Though many on this board have obtained excellent quarter mile times, I don't recommend clutch drops in this car. Even so, I find that the Honda has plenty of power when driven sedately on the street and is a real screamer on the track (Sebring is only 2 hours north).

It's tough to find a good deal on the S2k locally, and the best shot is in the winter. You may have better luck with out of state dealers that will be happy to sell at or near MSRP if you give them a deposit and get on their list. Do it now if you want your car next summer.

The stock sound system sucks. Many have improved upon it, and you can go with modest upgrades for a few hundred dollars to extreme upgrades for thousands.

My car survived it's first monsoon season down here in S. Florida without a single leak.

I don't feel ricey in the car. It attracts a lot of attention, though.

Drop me an email, and I'd be happy to show you my car, give you a ride and chew the fat.