S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Contemplating trading for an E46 ///M3....any thoughts?

Old 02-07-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Contemplating trading for an E46 ///M3....any thoughts?

I've been thinking about trading in my S2000 for the new ///M3. The problem is that I have never driven the car. I am basing this completely on what I have read, mostly on the M3 Forum. They seem to praise the car, but I feel that many of them have "stepped up" into a M3 from a more regular, non-sports car, skewing their opinion. I was wondering if those of you who have driven/owned the new M3 could compare it to our S2000 in terms of overall handling, power, reliability, and fun-to-drive factor.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

-Vivek
Old 02-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send a PM to Loki, I believe that's what he did.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought there were problems with the new M3? Anyone?
Old 02-07-2003, 09:49 AM

I think it depends a lot on your situation. I've driven both, but am more than happy with my honda. The M3 is much more of a practical car. The power is noticable without question. The handling fits the car, but lacks the go cart feel of the s2k.

Honestly, unless you want the car for the fact its a BMW or you need something sporty and still remotely practical, my vote would be for the s2k. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would spend the extra on the M3 since I don't see driving the s2k to its fullest possibilities very often.

Just my 2 cents if you will.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

You have to drive one. I own a 328, which is not an M3 but the entire car is different. In the Bmw, the seating position, the shifter is low between the seats, the chassis is not as stiff, the front suspension suffers from bump steer. Granted the M3 is much more powerful, has a stronger transmission, and tuned suspension, but it is still a "tuned" 328. Just sitting in one, I don't feel like I'm in a sports car, like the s2000.

Having said that, I like the M3 a great deal. It looks great, has a fantastic motor, and a great deal of luxury the S doesn't have. And I've been happy with mine as far as quality goes. I guess all I'm saying is it's a different car. Don't expect it to feel or behave like the S.

You'll have more power and it will be more useable in the lower revs. The steering is nice, but I still think the s2000 has the edge in handling. I don't like the BMW's chassis flex. I can hear it creak going over large bumps like into a driveway. My experience with BMW is that they are built very solid. I am extremely happy with the quality of work BMW does.

My personal view is, if all you want is to match power, for the difference in price between the S and M3, you can built the f20 to competetive levels. If you're looking to have your cake and eat it too, check out the BMW. I gotta say, to seat four comfortably, with luggage, and go fast, and turn well, AND, have great reliability, this is the car.

I like the S because it's an out and out sports car with no excuses made. You wanna seat four? tough! I like that. My wife has an SUV for that stuff....

Good luck in your decision, and drive one, that's the only way to know for sure.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wicky
[B]You have to drive one.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:43 PM

I would definetely get an M3 with SMGII or not. I have 2 cars, 740iL and the S2000, but I used to have an M3 with the SMGII. This is the closest comparision I can make:

The M3 is in the smack-dab in the middle of the S2000 (sportiness) and the 740iL (luxuriousness). There is enough of both to keep someone happy both ways.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

kster - I just want it known I did not intend to infer the M3 was just a 328. It's just one of the things I like about the s2000 is that there isn't a detuned four door version running around . Although I am unaware of any stiffening to the frame they've done on the 3. If Honda hadn't built the s2000 I'd probably own an M3....... (don't like the z4). It's just such a great car (all BMW's are) that you've GOT to drive it. That's the only way to choose between to fantastic autos like these. The BMW has one of the most unique characters I've experienced. It's not just a car. It's a BMW.

EDIT* - and go for the the SMG
Old 02-07-2003, 07:01 PM

Go to your local BMW Dealer ship and test drive both the SMG II and 6spd M3. I own a 325is and 325xi(AWD), both are great Bmw's and i would definetly trade in an S2k for one, any day!(nothing against S2ks). The M3, is such a refined car, you will find many options and features that no other car can offer you. Without a doubt, if you are seriously intersted after the first time you drive an M3, you will be hooked!

Tab-
Old 02-07-2003, 07:12 PM

The M3 is faster than the S2k no doubt, but it's weight will be felt when you corner hence it's handling is not as good. That's not to say you won't corner faster than the S2k, just you won't have as much fun. The M3 is pack with technology, if you get the SMGII..the shifts are lightning quick especially with sports mode on and in level 6...there's even launch control. The traction control will definitely keep you out of trouble....the car will do everything for you. Everyday driving I'll take the ///M, if I was going to AutoX then the S2k.

Quick Reply: Contemplating trading for an E46 ///M3....any thoughts?