S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Crashed My S2000 Today~! Who's at Fault???

Old 12-17-2003, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're OK.

I'm going to respectfully say that your post is poorly titled. " Crashed My S2000 Today~! TireRack at Fault??? " You haven't questioned your own judgement of driving 65+ mph on mismatched tires. Only 1 of which was mounted by Tirerack. (Two fronts remounted by American, one Yoko on OEM rim right?).

I think you are selectively blaming everyone but yourself and I think it's unfair to Tirerack that your post title has been left unedited.

BTW, Did you purchase TireRack's road hazard warranty? Road Hazard Program Specifics

I doubt it, but being an outstanding S2Ki supportive company they apparently are replacing the damaged tire(s). Even if so, they are only responsible for replacement of the tire. Not every bit of damage which that your post title implies.

Let's be fair:
Shouldn't it be retitled........Who's at fault?
Old 12-17-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by VFROOOM . . . they are only responsible for replacement of the tire. Not every bit of damage which that your post title implies.
Good point. And when Jiffy-Lube forgets to tighten the oil drain bolt and your engine blows up, remember, they are only responsible to replace the oil that leaked out.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by modifry
Good point.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:14 AM

^
If you want to insure against road hazards, by all means purchase a road hazard warranty. But you should not have to purchase a warranty to guarantee the tire is properly mounted. You are already paying for that when you hire a professional tire company to mount the tires.

My point was that even if you don't purchase a warranty, you have a reasonable expectation that the product or service you are paying for is free of serious defects. It is reasonable for redhurly to expect the tires to be mounted correctly and not come off the rim in normal driving. If Tire Rack failed to properly mount the tire then they are at fault. We may never know that for sure, but two tire failures so close together looks pretty bad for Tire Rack.

There have been lots of posts suggesting that redhurly take his lumps and pay for his own mistakes. The only mistake we positively know of (first tire failure) was made by Tire Rack. They are taking their lumps on that one by replacing the tire.
I don't consider that to be over-the-top service, I consider it to be the minimum acceptable service, so I don't give them any extra credit for that.

I agree there could be a better title for this post, but it is generating lots of discussion, which, as long as it's not full of personal attacks, is a very good thing.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by VFROOOM
Remember the title was distributing 100% blame on TR. My point was along with the questionable judgement of driving over 65mph in the left lane in traffic, 3-out-of-4 tires in this case were not TireRack's.
Edit: Nevermind. True, 3 of them were not TireRack's, but the only one(s) suspected of being faulty were from TireRack.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by VFROOOM . . . 3-out-of-4 tires in this case were not TireRack's.
You are correct, and the only one that failed was the Tire Rack tire.

Sorry, I'm not really bustin' on you specifically, just trying to show the other point of view since so many posts seem to be leaning towards blaming redhurly and I don't think he did anything wrong.

None of the other tires came off the rim, and the only impact was to the rear of the car. A high-speed slide would not knock the tire off the rim unless it was seriously under-inflated, which may have been the case. But that sounds a lot like the first tire failure, which points back to Tire Rack.

I've driven tens of thousands of miles, at all speeds, with as many as 3 different tires on a car and never had any problems. It's not as bad as it's made out to be.

Perhaps all this hype about mis-matched tires comes from the 70's when radials began to get widespread use. Many people mistakenly put a pair of radials on one end of the car with bias-ply tires on the other. They have drastically different handling characteristics (mostly slip angle differences & break-away rates) and were blamed (probably rightly so) for a lot of wrecks in those days.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Tedow
Edit: Nevermind. True, 3 of them were not TireRack's, but the only one(s) suspected of being faulty were from TireRack.
Darn, beat me to it. That will teach me to answer the phone while at work.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:34 PM

First I am glad that you are okay, the car can be replaced or repaired.
The LSD on the car will be thrown our of whack if you are driving on tires of different sizes (diameters, tire widths and rim sizes). The LSD is meant to delay the slipping of your tires due to a number of things. You could have felt the problem right out of the drive way or the problem may have built up. Either way if you had a flat you should have not not driven with a different size tire in the rear, unless its RIGHT to a tire shop.
Even the manual recommends you NOT to use the spare tire as a back spare. Instead you need to move both fronts to the back and use the spare in the front.
Their responsibility should be to replace the tire that went flat.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:51 PM

Tire rack is at fault, if their work was flawed and caused the accident. That will be tough to prove.

Ryan
Old 12-17-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to interject some pertinent info.

Before I knew better remember......

Once - again - once, I had a rear flat and unknowingly just slapped the mini-spare on the right rear. Drove for a day and a half until the tires I ordered came in. I drove on side road as much as possible, but eventually HAD to use the freeway. While I was very aware that I had a mini-spare on, I can honestly say that the car was not totally squirrelly and out-of-control.

Knowing this, and reading how people are freaking because you had a nice wide stock wheel and tire back there! Being book smart is fine, but real world lessons have taught me that unless you have experienced this for yourself - you really don't know.

My mini-spare didn't make me wreck when it was on the REAR, so the even wider stock setup would not be the end-all of blame for the spin.

Again, I only did the mini-spare back there once, and I found out soon after that I shouldn't have. So, save the flames.

... and thanx for changing the title - that looked kinda bad.
Hockey

Quick Reply: Crashed My S2000 Today~! Who's at Fault???