S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Creepers - Can you recommend one?

Old 05-26-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a QuickJack (Home Depot, $1100 on sale) and some random AC Delco 6 wheel creeper that I bought a few weeks ago. The headrest can pivot up, which makes it much more comfortable than the wooden creeper I had been using. I'm big - 6'3, 230 or so and I can get under there easily when it's on the quickjack. Great combination for mild work; just did the trans fluid last weekend that way.

I also use the creeper with my Jeep but I don't have to jack it up at all.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Just tip the lift against the wall for storage. The creeper stores there along with the little lift plates needed to get the high enough to slide the lift underneath the car.

For me the lift is expensive safety equipment, I'm not going under the car on jackstands. This lift is all mechanical and slow compared to the hydraulic versions but no hoses to connect and leak. 90 seconds seems like forever sometimes. Both sides are tied together making it rigid in all directions. Just changed the engine, gearbox, and differential oil in the past two weeks. Changed out wheels, serviced brakes, fitted aftermarket exhausts on the lift.

In Ohio I stored the car on this during the winter and kept it up and out of the salt and slush the other cars brought in. Not needed that in Virginia.

The lift will easily support my Subarus too. But not my Expedition.

-- Chuck

Old 05-26-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
That EZ Lift is tempting. Its not cheap, and I'm not sure where the heck I would store it. Seems like I can get it pretty high off the ground with a long reach low profile jack and good stands. Not sure if its high enough.
The EZ Car Lift is great. As Chuck showed the lift can be stood up against the wall when not in use. If you prefer you can also take the cross bars off and stack the left and right sides of the lift on top of each other. This only takes a few minutes. The Ranger QuickJack is a cheaper alternative but cross shop it with the EZ Car Lift as each has its pros and cons.

On to the topic at hand. I have and enjoy using the The Bone creeper. It is very comfortable, low profile, has big wheels so it doesn't get easily get stuck on obstructions, and doesn't tip so you can sit up on it without incident. Check out the link below.

The Bone Creepers - Bone
Old 05-27-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

SSM-09, am I correct that the bone design has neck support, but no head support? Do you find that sufficient?

I think the EZ Lift looks great but I don't want to deal with storage in my garage which is already over stuffed. I'll keep thinking on it. Maybe this will spur me on to doing a total garage clean out.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Quickjack stores under the car. You just push the left and right parts together and drive over, with the units under the middle of the car. Storage is not an issue at all. The hydraulic cables have quick disconnects but you can leave them set up. If I'm doing work a few weekends in a row, I leave it connected. Once I'm done for a while, I put the cables and control unit in a drawer in my tool chest.

When looking, I cross shopped about five different systems (including two and four post) and went with this for ease of storage, quick use and because I needed to get at all of the underbody, which scissor lifts block.

Would have preferred a normal two post but we're moving soon. Will get one down the road. I also like the systems where you can lift one car above another but those aren't great for certain types of work (suspension work, rotations, etc).

I also work on a lifted Jeep and a lowered Audi. The quickjack has saved hours of time vs. getting the cars up on stands, over just the few months I've had it.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:12 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I use this, very well built. I wish there was a release button instead of pulling the headrest all the way forward, to have it go down. https://store.snapon.com/Heavy-Duty-...r-P889610.aspx
Old 05-27-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
SSM-09, am I correct that the bone design has neck support, but no head support? Do you find that sufficient?

I think the EZ Lift looks great but I don't want to deal with storage in my garage which is already over stuffed. I'll keep thinking on it. Maybe this will spur me on to doing a total garage clean out.
Your head rests on the flat area between the wheels. There is no built in head pad if that is what you mean by head support. This allows the creeper to be used in either direction which is nice as you don't have to turn it around when positioning it to use. If you need some padding for your head a small folded towel will remedy that. It may not look it but I find The Bone extremely comfortable. I've had mine since 2014 and use it every time I maintenance a car. It has held up very well and I enjoy using it.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The maximum height of the big jack stand I have is 22" and my long reach jack will get the center lift point up pretty darn high. My jack maximum lift is 24 inches. Seems like I should be able to get it up to 20" at the center lift point safely, no? Shouldn't 20" be high enough to work with a low profile creeper?

My jack stands are ESCO 10498. They seem to be extremely stable and rugged.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Just the trick of getting the car up onto jack stands puts me off which is another reason I spent the money on a lift. YMMV.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
JasonMG (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I built wheel cribs to use if I'm going to under the car, plus jack stands for backup.

Quick Reply: Creepers - Can you recommend one?