S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealer oil change fail, again

Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

curious on the FUMOTO drain valves you guys are using the supplied washer? or slappin in an OEM crush washer?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I am my most reliable fluid changing source

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla' timestamp='1409091935' post='23303197
33.3333% failure rate
Yet you keep going back.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by taifei
They probably don't change the filters too unless you visibly mark them with a date after each change. I stopped going to a dealership once I noticed my filter was not changed. It honestly takes the same amount of time doing it yourself as it would take to drive to the dealership and wait.
Now that I think about it, I can actually do it in considerably less time than the driving there, waiting, service, my inspection (I wouldn't even start the car until I checked everything out myself), and drive home time.
The biggest pain in the ass is just the disposal of the old oil and filters, but now I have a 5-gallon "used oil" jug that I can just take to a local advance auto and pour it into their collection tank. I still haven't figured out what to do abiout the used filters (I've got a few still piled up lol) but I think some have mentioned that you can drop them off at Honda for free.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
The biggest pain in the ass is just the disposal of the old oil and filters, but now I have a 5-gallon "used oil" jug that I can just take to a local advance auto and pour it into their collection tank. I still haven't figured out what to do abiout the used filters (I've got a few still piled up lol) but I think some have mentioned that you can drop them off at Honda for free.
I use old 5 quart jugs for the used oil. Put a funnel in the jug, empty my drain pan in to it, turn the filter upside down and place in funnel, let it drain into the jug for a week. Filter then goes in the trash and I drop the jug off at Walmart, done.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by taifei
They probably don't change the filters too unless you visibly mark them with a date after each change. I stopped going to a dealership once I noticed my filter was not changed. It honestly takes the same amount of time doing it yourself as it would take to drive to the dealership and wait.
Doing it myself takes me an hour. 50 mins to drain every oil drop and 10 for the actual fluids/filter
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Memo6453
curious on the FUMOTO drain valves you guys are using the supplied washer? or slappin in an OEM crush washer?
I used the supplied washer. As the valve was brass and they have sold millions as well as being approved by Honda, I thought I would go with the engineered supplies. I was able to get it to the upright position. Not sure if I could have done that with a crush washer. It gives you just a little more play with the torque for positioning.

If I were going to do it again, I would order it with the nipple so I could attach a hose to drain the oil directly into a bottle. You can start and stop the flow with ease. Here it is:

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM

One question I've always had with those is how people actually complete an oil change without raising the car? How do you get an oil catch pan down there? I've never seen one that was low profile enough to slip under the stock ride height...?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

One question I've always had with those is how people actually complete an oil change without raising the car? How do you get an oil catch pan down there? I've never seen one that was low profile enough to slip under the stock ride height...?
I'm lowered 1.25" and do it in the garage without raising the car. I also do it from the top of the engine. Remove the air filter and OEM airbox. Plenty of room to reach the drain plug. Thinking about a quick release valve though to make it even easier.

Dealers are clueless about this car. Let me say that again--CLUELESS. Go elsewhere.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I have one pan (actually two but my lab repurposed one) that does fit I got at the world famous Wal Mart. My other pans I use on other cars do not fit. The one I use for the S is just an open pan/bowl, black plastic with an indentation on the lip for pouring. 3 3/4" deep and 15" wide. Its made by FloTool. The drained oil fills it fairly full but not over. If you are careful, not a drop is spilled. ( Don't let your lab bump you!) I slide it under the car with a large metal car drip pan also under the car in case I slosh the oil. ( I have a carpeted garage and do not want oil on it)
Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the fumoto valve did you also purchase an adapator as well?

Quick Reply: Dealer oil change fail, again