S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealer oil change fail, again

Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

im waiting to put a quikvalve on my S2k and my wife's CRV next oil change, and yes i purchased the one with the nipple. you guys just torquing it to what feels snug? open ended wrench?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

33 ft/lb yall! So Im a lil OCD
Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica

howd you use a torque wrench though? im confused
Old 08-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do I still do dealer oil changes? I only need one per year and it seemed like a good way to keep the maintenance documented.

As for what happens when you tell the dealer they messed up something so basic?
They offer you free stuff that's downright scary, like four wheel alignment and tire rotation.

MG
Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work at a Honda dealership in the sales dept and the problem with service at most dealerships is that the oil changes are done by the "Express" dept which is usually the entry level job. The express tech is usually a young kid from a technical school and he is usually like an apprentice learning from the others. The Master techs don't take the low paying jobs like a basic oil change so they pass it onto the kids in express who will sometimes fawk up lol I saw one of them over tighten an oil plug which caused the car to return oil less two days later on a tow truck with a seized engine.. I service my car at my job but only have my 2 friends who are master techs work on it but I wouldn't let an express kid come anywhere close to my car lol
Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Memo6453
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1409182571' post='23304967

With my hand? jp, I jack my car up for oil changes.

Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla
Why do I still do dealer oil changes? I only need one per year and it seemed like a good way to keep the maintenance documented.

As for what happens when you tell the dealer they messed up something so basic?
They offer you free stuff that's downright scary, like four wheel alignment and tire rotation.

MG
I use a spreadsheet. If you dont want to pay for Office, there's always Libre Office, which is free and works well.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
With the fumoto valve did you also purchase an adapator as well?
Affirmative. Each car is different. The website matches it for your car.

im waiting to put a quikvalve on my S2k and my wife's CRV next oil change, and yes i purchased the one with the nipple. you guys just torquing it to what feels snug? open ended wrench?
Yes.

That is for the bolt by Honda. Not for a brass Fumoto.

No torque wrench. Its been two years since I did it, and as I recall you make so many turns (like installing our oil filter) You have a little play with the softer gasket so you can orient it just like you want.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The website says that it "may" need an adaptor. My car is an 01, how can it be different from an 06? Isn't the oil drain bolt the same size?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
The website says that it "may" need an adaptor. My car is an 01, how can it be different from an 06? Isn't the oil drain bolt the same size?
Just as a warning to a couple of people who have posted in this thread about the valve and look like they are going to pick them up. Please note that while this is a very cool idea and a very good product, you are adding inherent risk to your engine. The oil drain plug from Honda with correctly sized crush washer torqued to the correct ft-lb will never come off, even within the standard error tolerance (up or down) of a typical 1/2" drive torque wrench. When you add this device, you are adding a VALVE. A valve is an added potential leak point. So now you have a device threaded into the plug hole (leak/break point #1) and a valve (leak/break point #2).

Additionally, there have been stories of people driving and something on the road "knocks the valve open" and seized up their engine, total loss. It looks like they MAY have made a nice clip-on plastic thing that would prevent this? It says "NEW" next to it but I don't know if that's new from like 2 years ago or whatever.

I still, personally, and very close to purchasing one because I like convenience gadgets. It's just hard for me to accept this adde risk (while very small).
Old 08-28-2014, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by Gotpepsi' timestamp='1409181536' post='23304948
With the fumoto valve did you also purchase an adapator as well?
Affirmative. Each car is different. The website matches it for your car.

Yes.

That is for the bolt by Honda. Not for a brass Fumoto.

No torque wrench. Its been two years since I did it, and as I recall you make so many turns (like installing our oil filter) You have a little play with the softer gasket so you can orient it just like you want.

Ah...I missed the context on that one.

Quick Reply: Dealer oil change fail, again