S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealership Sold Me A Lemon!

Old 01-06-2005, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question I have been pondering: if they do give me a full refund I will have NO means of transportation. I work full time and go to school full time so I have to have a car. But I don't want to rush out and buy the first S2000 I see. What should I do?

1. Ask the dealership to let me keep the S2000 for a certain amount of time until I find a new car.
2. Ask the dealership to give me a rental car from their lot for free until I find a new car.
3. Just go to a rental company and pay the fee to rent from them?

I would like to have option 2, but I'm not sure if they would be willing after having to give me a full refund for my car.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:28 AM

I was thinking the same thing. You may want to seriously consider seeing how good of a deal you can get on a legitimate s2000 from them. The 2003 pitch wasn't bad, but like you said it's not the combo you want. See what else they can get you and see how low you can haggle the price differance. Just a thought . . . . never hurts to explore all options. At the very least you deserve a refund.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:32 AM

I would try to get a loaner from the dealership, since they're the ones who placed you in a hardship situation. Once they agree to take the S back, DON'T continue to drive it.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Jan 6 2005, 10:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing. You may want to seriously consider seeing how good of a deal you can get on a legitimate s2000 from them. The 2003 pitch wasn't bad, but like you said it's not the combo you want. See what else they can get you and see how low you can haggle the price differance. Just a thought . . . . never hurts to explore all options. At the very least you deserve a refund.

Although a full refund is what you should expect, what you really want is to get the s2000. I would make the dealership aware of this. If they can swap for a better car, in the color that you want, with a clean carfax, then I would probably go for it.

I also would make sure its the color you want. You should be happy with the car you buy, which includes the color. You might also want to make sure the owner/GM knows that you already purchased aftermarket parts for the car in that color and are ready to install them.

Whatever happens, there are going to be complications because you financed the car and you've been paying on it. So don't expect a clean resolution, just make sure you are made whole.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by iamjosh,Jan 6 2005, 10:23 AM
One question I have been pondering: if they do give me a full refund I will have NO means of transportation. I work full time and go to school full time so I have to have a car. But I don't want to rush out and buy the first S2000 I see. What should I do?
Question, did you trade a car for the s2000? What were you driving before?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 AM

I did not trade for the S2000. I was driving a 1996 Nissan 200SX and I sold that to a private seller a few weeks after I bought the S2000. I did put $4,000 down on the S2000 at the time of purchase though.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

The more I think about it, the more I think you should involve a lawyer. Any expense you incur will be paid by the dealership, so you're out of pocket cost should be nothing.

Do a google search for lemon law lawyer dallas and I bet something will pull up. Consultations are free and I'm sure you'll find someone very quickly to take your case.

So, continue to enjoy and thrash your S2000 as you're driving it for free at this point. All the payments you've made on the car and any debt you've incurred puchasing the vehicle should be absolved shortly.

A good attorney will be able to take care of you very well in this situation. The manner in which the dealership has treated you to this point is cause for raking them over the coals.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jan 6 2005, 07:41 AM
Do a google search for lemon law lawyer dallas and I bet something will pull up. Consultations are free and I'm sure you'll find someone very quickly to take your case.
I went ahead and printed out information for 4 lemon law attorneys in Dallas. I am going to give them a call to see what my options are.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:00 AM

Good luck with all of this ... If the dealer makes an offer for a full refund, don't forget to ask for the interest paid on your car loan to Bank of America. You should be able to provide the canceled checks or stubs from the Bank of America statements showing how much you paid each month for the car and additionally the payoff amount to close out your loan. This will ensure that you get a FULL refund, because the dealership may just cut you a check for $20k or whatever you originally paid. And of course don't forget about the cost associated with tax, tags, and title. Just want to make sure you have all your bases covered ... You can also see if BoA is willing to keep your existing loan and just transfer it to a new car if the dealership offers you one. In that respect it may be better for them since they wouldn't have to pay for everything (interest etc etc) ... but they still might have to pay the tax/tags/title on the new car.

Hopefully the dealership will do you right in the end and you'll end up with the car that you want and that you originally paid for.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Josh, I am curious why you say the deal never went through (or the dealer told you that it didn't). Have you talked to the bank? You are right that they keep the title, but the registration goes to you. If you have the registration in your name and you are obviously making payments to the bank (and signed on the loan) then the deal is closed. I seriously doubt that the bank did a carfax on the car. The most they would do (IMHO) is check the bluebook value and make sure they get the title.
You should make a chonological list of everything you have spent on the car, from down payment, to monthly payments (take the total paid, don't worry about the breakdown of interest and principal), parts, oil etc. and keep that list updated. Also if you get a refund, make sure you have proof that the bank loan is paid off in full. You are liable on the loan, not the dealer, so require proof from the bank that the loan is paid off before you relieve the dealer of any further responsibility.

Quick Reply: Dealership Sold Me A Lemon!