S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

From Detroit to Amsterdam - Completed!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Siepel,Dec 21 2001, 07:17 AM
Update on insurance claim; good news!

Hi All:

As some of you might remember, in October 2001 I moved back to the Netherlands after four years in Detroit working for a Dutch company. In February I bought myself a S2000 in Michigan and after a long boat trip it arrived in the Netherlands in my container. Unfortunately, due to delay upon delay, I myself had already taken off for a 4 week vacation in Australia (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney), so it wouldn't be until December 3rd before I could see my baby again!!

As soon as I got back (literally out of the plane) I went straight to the Rotterdam Harbor to get my stuff and car. The only thing wrong was that my car had a small ding in the front bumper, which has to be taken care of by the insurance I took out for the shipping <...to be continued>

***Check my message of June 7, 2002 below!***

I used to drive a '93 Nissan NX-coupe in the Netherlands when I was here for a couple of days/weeks for vacation or work, but that one obviously had to go. Next to the S2000 I needed a daily driver for my 70 km / 43 mile commute each way, particularly in bad (winter) weather conditions (front wheel drive, ABS, EBD, ASR etc.), capable of comfortably carrying 4 people (passenger car), but also practical in our European cities (must be SMALL). And not a Yugo at that. To make a long story short, meet the new line-up in my street:

It's a BABY-BENZ!!

My car had to receive one more modification, before I could get it approved on the road, and for which I wasn't totally prepared: The mandatory Rear Foglamp...

I already know my new Dutch License Plate Number, but that won't be fitted until after X-Mas...

...Which reminds me:

Merry Christmas Everybody!!!

Best regards,

Siepel
I spent time in euro, especially in sweden(school and my wife). Cars there cost sooo muchh compared to the USA. I bet you have the only s2k in ur city and just handful in ur country.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAG!!

I lived in Wassenaar. We bought a German spec Accord LX and did the opposite of what you did. I have to say that I am soooo jealous I'm not in the country with you.

That foglight doesn't look all too bad. I plan on moving there in 4 years possibly.

until then,
Tot ziens.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shy_guyAP1,Dec 15 2007, 01:50 AM
We bought a German spec Accord LX and did the opposite of what you did.
Hey, this thread is so old, I'm actually back in the USA on my second S2000 that I will have to ship back to Holland in about a year and a half!!

Anyway, how did you manage to get a German car into the U.S.A?

VERY interested in your story!!!!

Siepel
PS: FWIW, the Benz A-class was a total piece of sh!t car. I will never ever buy a Mercedes product again Never!!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were a special case. Government/Military, it was nice because our car was built to handle the autobahn... meaning it had 180bhp rather than the 150bhp the USDM cars did and was no electronically limited. We hit around 145mph on the Autobahn.

I heard Benz quality is in the shitter right now.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Reviving the thread, yet again.

I'm interested in doing this project as well. If I were to order a UK/European bumper from Honda, would it come with the lamp assembly attached? Or is it just the bumper with a big hole where the lamp would go?

I wanted to have a look at your pics from your original post but the links are dead. Which switch did you use (and where) to toggle the fog light?

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by SiDriver,Nov 29 2008, 10:10 AM
Reviving the thread, yet again.

I'm interested in doing this project as well. If I were to order a UK/European bumper from Honda, would it come with the lamp assembly attached? Or is it just the bumper with a big hole where the lamp would go?

I wanted to have a look at your pics from your original post but the links are dead. Which switch did you use (and where) to toggle the fog light?

Thanks.
Thread alive again!!!

The real official EU bumper most likely comes without the rear fog bracketry and without the rear fog lamp, but not sure about that. The cutout for the rear foglamp however can be done to the standard US bumper!

The EU/UK rear bumper will most likely come with the huge (wide) rear registration plate space 'tub', but (as said) I don't know anything about the rear fog lamp and bracketry...

If you're looking for just adding the rear fog lamp to the USA rear bumper, the only thing you need to do is get the rear foglamp assembly (which will include the brackets) and rig up a switch of some sort (not included). The cut-out in the bumper is pre-stamped and a relatively simple cut-out procedure. You'll see when you look at the 'inside' of the bumper...

What'd you wanna do?

Take care,

Siepel
Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Siepel,Nov 30 2008, 12:53 AM
Thread alive again!!!

The real official EU bumper most likely comes without the rear fog bracketry and without the rear fog lamp, but not sure about that. The cutout for the rear foglamp however can be done to the standard US bumper!

The EU/UK rear bumper will most likely come with the huge (wide) rear registration plate space 'tub', but (as said) I don't know anything about the rear fog lamp and bracketry...

If you're looking for just adding the rear fog lamp to the USA rear bumper, the only thing you need to do is get the rear foglamp assembly (which will include the brackets) and rig up a switch of some sort (not included). The cut-out in the bumper is pre-stamped and a relatively simple cut-out procedure. You'll see when you look at the 'inside' of the bumper...

What'd you wanna do?

Take care,

Siepel
Thanks Siepel, much appreciated.

Yup, reviving old thread. I'll probably just work on my USDM rather than get a UK/Euro bumper.

Here is what I "think" I would need, but not sure. Please keep in mind that I am not electrically inclined and will have someone else do the install. I'll just get the necessary parts.

1) Fog light assembly
2) Fog light bulb
3) Fog light harness (that attaches the assembly to the switch, or is this already pre-wired in the USDM MY 2003?)
4) Fog light switch (did you install the UK foglight switch to the right of the steering, and move the defroster to the coin holder?)
5) Fog light relay
6) Fog light fuse

Am I missing something or did I over-list? I have a MY 2003 as well so I would probably be doing what you did. I can't see your old pics though.

Thank you.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 AM

here's some info on th pre-04 euro fog light on a usdm s2k

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry2103824
Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by SiDriver,Nov 30 2008, 01:07 AM
Here is what I "think" I would need, but not sure. Please keep in mind that I am not electrically inclined and will have someone else do the install. I'll just get the necessary parts.

1) Fog light assembly
2) Fog light bulb
3) Fog light harness (that attaches the assembly to the switch, or is this already pre-wired in the USDM MY 2003?)
4) Fog light switch (did you install the UK foglight switch to the right of the steering, and move the defroster to the coin holder?)
5) Fog light relay
6) Fog light fuse
1) Assembly comes with lamp, bulb, bulb holder and mounting brackets (which fits mounting tabs that are present on USDM rear bumpers - only the cut-out has to be cut out )
2) included in 1)
3) forget about it!! Rig something up yourself!!
4) There is no such thing as a UK foglamp switch. There is only ONE switch and it goes where the USDM cruise control switch sits. On my 01 there was a blank space on the right side behind the wheel, and I 'jimmied' the 'official' switch there. Also, the switch is a momentary switch, so you need a clever electronic solution to 'hold' the lamp on. My advice to you is, pick up a decent looking $10 toggle switch at Murray's or Autozone and go with that instead. Having the OEM switch is totally NOT worth it.
5) Relay is strongly advised.
6) Fuse also strongly advised.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Siepel,Dec 1 2008, 11:32 AM
1) Assembly comes with lamp, bulb, bulb holder and mounting brackets (which fits mounting tabs that are present on USDM rear bumpers - only the cut-out has to be cut out )
2) included in 1)
3) forget about it!! Rig something up yourself!!
4) There is no such thing as a UK foglamp switch. There is only ONE switch and it goes where the USDM cruise control switch sits. On my 01 there was a blank space on the right side behind the wheel, and I 'jimmied' the 'official' switch there. Also, the switch is a momentary switch, so you need a clever electronic solution to 'hold' the lamp on. My advice to you is, pick up a decent looking $10 toggle switch at Murray's or Autozone and go with that instead. Having the OEM switch is totally NOT worth it.
5) Relay is strongly advised.
6) Fuse also strongly advised.
1) Understood.

2) Understood.

3) I'm not electrically inclined at all. Is there an easy way to do this? I just thought there was OEM wiring that would connect the lamp to the switch button in the cabin. How does this work on UKDM S2000s?

4) When I meant the UK fog switch, I meant the button with the foglamp logo on it. Maybe I'm understanding the term "switch" incorrectly. I thought a switch was something you push to toggle something on/off. I thought all I had to do was obtain the foglamp button (with the fog logo) and connect that to an OEM harness which would lead to the lamp itself. And I was assuming that was what you did.

If this doesn't work, could I just leave everything in MY03 stock configuration (CC on left, rear defrost on right) and just install a pre-02 hardtop defroster button where the coin holder is and wire that up to the fog lamp instead? I'm not sure if something from Autozone would fit anywhere nicely.

5) Is there an OEM relay for the fogs?

6) Is there an OEM fuse for the fogs?

So for now, I would need to request from a UK member, the fog light assembly, the fog light relay, and the fog light fuse. I just need clarification on #3 and #4.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: From Detroit to Amsterdam - Completed!