S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Did I trigger my ABS? Sudden loss of braking power.

Old 08-25-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hokiemax
[B]

the pads are only 4000 miles old.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:19 PM

ABS is designed to keep your tires from locking up during HARD breaking. If you go to a local auto-x, you'll see some people lock up their breaks and skid as they come through the finish line; those cars don't have abs, so their breaks grab the tire and stop it from turning at all, leaving you in a skid with no steering ability. You aren't feeling ABS, its something else, my friend had something similar with her car, but I forget what it was, I'll call her and let you know...
Old 08-25-2003, 07:15 PM

By the sounds of it, it's not your ABS activating.

Could be a problem with your ABS system/computer but the self run diagnostics performed at engine start up would have probably shown this up.

Does anyone think the random loss of braking power sounds like a faulty/leaking master cylinder?
Old 08-25-2003, 07:20 PM
pfb

[QUOTE]
[B]This happened TWICE so far.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The description of the symptoms just describes ABS activation on a surface with poor traction. Common with sand, paint, and rippling surfaces. It does not sound like there is anything wrong with the braking system. If you can drag the car down from speed on clean concrete you can be assured the brakes work, and you just need to learn the feel of ABS. I will suggest you are just trying to come to a relatively rapid stop on a poor surface.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:25 AM
mas

Originally posted by cdelena
The description of the symptoms just describes ABS activation on a surface with poor traction. Common with sand, paint, and rippling surfaces. It does not sound like there is anything wrong with the braking system. If you can drag the car down from speed on clean concrete you can be assured the brakes work, and you just need to learn the feel of ABS. I will suggest you are just trying to come to a relatively rapid stop on a poor surface.
Exactly!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
Originally posted by mas

Exactly!
ABS will also sometimes trigger when coming to a full/complete stop with your wheels pointing at an angle. i've felt the ABS pulse numerous times in non-emergency braking situations.