S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

As a drift car, how well do you think the s2k does at being one?

Old 08-27-2003, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some video footage, check out this thread: link
It's the little movie my friend and I made drifting touge.

My opinion on S2000 as drift car is following:
The worst thing about S2000 as a drift car is the engine. It does not have near the torque turbocharged drift cars produce to spin the tires. The usable power is very high in the powerband, so it is hard to draw the car throughout more than 30% of the powerband. If you start high, you can run out of powerband... therefore narrow drift tires are a must.
The next bad thing about drifting the S is it's short wheelbase. Therefore its rearend can be pretty fast, so the S provokes fast reactions. And now the good side...
The S is beautifully balanced, thanks to blend of FR and MR. If you hate understeer, S is the way to go. With good tires in front, the frontend drives as on rails. S2k's natural behaviour is oversteer. Braking drifts and feinting are beatiful with this car.
Small turning circle (better than nsx, 911,...) and sharp steering can also be very helpful, this compensates with rather snappy nature of s2k's rearend.
Standard tires are small. There is no problem getting drift tires of those sizes.
All the other thing, taken for granted: rigid chassis, stiff suspension, lsd, weight distribution. The differential isn't bad as anyone says... it does the job very well and I find it very reliable. If you can live without kniving the clutch, you'll be fine (btw, no stock car can take this technique/abuse for long time).
Bottom line, I would give the S grade 3,75 out of 5.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 PM

A great video soru81 and some very nice car control....

a couple of questions.....

On those corners was that 1st gear you were in?

Were you popping the clutch to initially get the rear to break away or was it simply coming away under power?

What are drift tyres? I guess they are very hard wearing low grip tyres but I have never heard of them so would love to know the details.

And finally does the car drift easily in higher speed corners by lifting the throttle at the apex, to get the rear to break out and then using the throttle or is another technique necessary?

Cheers for any help and as I said a couple of very good movies.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:46 PM

i'd love to learn, any teachers out there? On a track of course.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:32 PM

I'm sorry but this goes down as people asking the S to do something it was never designed to do.

I want it to do 11's in quarter what do I do to get it there.

Now that drifting has become the new rage here comes the questions. When will people actually realize what this car was for and what it wasn't.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:32 PM

I want to turn my S into a crash derby car... how do I do it?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:37 PM
dbw

the s2000 is more of a "drive as if on rails" car....the best ever car to drift in is a swing axle VW bug with bias ply tires[pumped to 40 lbs] in the rain.....it's amazing what can be done with 40 HP and trailing throttle oversteer...
Old 08-27-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Darksyde
I'm sorry but this goes down as people asking the S to do something it was never designed to do.

Now that drifting has become the new rage here comes the questions. When will people actually realize what this car was for and what it wasn't.
I think this S2000 is all in all a car that can do anything you want.. You just gotta but the $$$ into to do it...

In general though... Iits fast, corners well, and looks hot!!

-JB-
Old 08-27-2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Darksyde

How many non-rally oriented cars do you think are designed to drift?

The S2000 is RWD which makes drifting possible. It's a cool skill to have and you learn to control your car better.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:51 AM

JJBlade:
Thanx. Most of the corners are first gear. In first, on the uphill, the power-over is available and efficent. In the second, you can still induce the drift with your favourite technique, but you cannot keep the car sliding much beyong the apex - at the exit, the rear tires grip and the rearend snaps back on the rails. For example, at 1:40 in the movie, you can see this happen (2nd gear).

The only popping of clutch I was doing was at the entry of the second corner in the S combination, from first to second (without waiting for revs to drop, it was the same when full acceleration). It can be done, but it doesn't look good since the car snaps back very soon, since the lack of torque to keep the car sliding in 2nd. I didn't found any example of this in the movie.

Drift tires are few years old tires with app.30% of wear left. Since they're old, the compound is very hard, quite slippy and they don't wear much. They can begin to tear apart, it does look nasty, but they're still good for driving. In my country, I can get them for 40$ a pair, they lasted about a month (cca 10 hours of drift driving). This is some some example of worn drift tire (sorry for bad quality, the pic was taken with the phone):

High speed drifts can be very beatiful on the track, since the lack of torque fades, since the higher speeds. I've been at the track with drift-tires, the car really shined with it's balance and tedence to oversteer. On the track, feinting, braking-drifts, shift-locking and other techniques are all efficient. As long as you are progressive, so is the car, and it is beautiful. These drifts were done around 50-70 miles. I haven't experienced higher speeds with s2000 since the nature of the track so I cannot comment beyond that, but I would not expect much difference.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:32 AM

A 4.44 or 4.77 gear will help the torque out substantially.

Quick Reply: As a drift car, how well do you think the s2k does at being one?