S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Driver's side window issue

Old 04-19-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side window issue

Hello.

A little background information first. I owned a silver '01 for a few years, and a few months ago in a curve during a rainstorm, the back end went over a bump crossing over a bridge, the car lost traction, I lost control, and the car impacted a concrete barrier on the side of the highway. The car was totaled and with the head-on impact the front end was smashed up until the headlights. I drove the car for years without issue, and with one bump with one mistake, the car was totaled. Since then, I've been looking for a good deal on another S2000.

A few days ago, I found one, and purchased it. It is a yellow '02 model with 160k miles. All VIN# where they should be and looking like it has never been in an accident. The car needs an alignment, the starter is making noise right after the car starts and goes immediately away, and finally, the reason for this thread, is that the driver's side window is not functioning. I assume the car needs an alignment because the previous owner took out aftermarket suspension and installed the stock suspension back in the car. I assume the starter issue is just a bad starter that is sticking. But I don't know where to go next in regards to the window issue.

Everything on the wrecked '01 model worked. The car had no issues. Because I kept my wrecked silver '01, I pretty much have one of everything in regards to parts for everything behind the headlights. The window on my yellow '02 that I just purchased is stuck in the "up" position. Pushing the window switch up or down results in no movement or noise coming from the motor or regulator. I have swapped the motor/regulator, and well as switches on the door panel, and so far no combination seems to be working. My next step is to get a test light and see if power is going all the way to the motor, but I thought I'd ask here first if anyone has ever had an issue like this before.

It looks like an aftermarket stereo and speakers were installed in the car at one point. The cone of the speaker in the driver's side door is a blue plastic, and the screen on the factory Honda head unit is reading "code", so I assume the battery was disconnected and the stereo was removed at one point before I purchased it. I noticed this when I was swapping out the window motor/regulator. I did not notice any wires cut or chafing against each other. Everything in the door panel looked clean and other than the stereo speaker, everything looked like it had not been touched since it left the factory. The white plastic behind the door panel that seals the door was still there.

The passenger side window functions perfectly, with the switch on both sides, and the switch to lower or raise the top. One friend of mine said it could be a cut wire in the driver's door, or in the loom where the door opens and closes. Another friend said that it could be the "computer" for the convertible top that makes the windows go down when it opens or closes. I very much dislike diagnosing and fixing electrical issues. I hate the process, but I want my window to work so I'm hopeful to get some suggestions here on this forum. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by balance s2k; 04-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Check the fuses?

Check the relays?

Does pushing softtop down switch make the driver window go down?

since you have the old car. swapping the door harness takes about 20 minutes. the connector is right behind the foot kick panel

you could even just not swap it, and pull the harness from the old car, and mock hook it up with the door open etc and just verify that its not the harness, just remove the kick panel, and plug the harness in, and then plug it into your door card and regulator

Last edited by Deckoz; 04-19-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the issues.

I took a test light to the harness on the door that connects to the window switch and found that there was constant power to the green/white wire in the old car, but not the same wire in the newer yellow car. It turns out I checked the power window fuse in the engine compartment but not the one in the cabin. I didn't know there were two. The 20A fuse in the cabin was blown. I changed the fuse and connected the switch and without touching the switch, the regulator moved all the way down as if someone was pushing the switch to lower the window.

The old switch was bad and was blowing the fuse for the driver's side power window. I used the switch from the old car and changed the fuse. Problem solved.