S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Driving during the winter

Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know my S2k hates starting in the cold. Not sure if it's just a "my car" thing though. It struggles even at 0 C.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by coop3422
I know my S2k hates starting in the cold. Not sure if it's just a "my car" thing though. It struggles even at 0 C.
Probably needs a battery.

Or you're using an oil that's too thick?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw this on the rails on the undercarriage. Immediately went to a automotive store and bought some steel wool and started brushing down to get all the surface rust out.

Was able to get most of it out but im not going to stop until I get it all out. Now how can I fix this and coat this area with a sealant. Should I do this myself or get a shop to do it? I checked my undercarriage last August for anything and I didn’t see this but after taking a peek today, I saw this. Never drove it in the snow but I did drive it in the rain about two times with no salt on road.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by MrFunk
You either drive it in the winter salt or you don't. There's no "technique" for diving through salt that will reduce the exposure to it.
What kind of tires do you have? You will want to be very careful if you're driving on summer tires. In cold weather they become like hokey pucks and you have significantly reduced traction. Once temps get down to low 40's I switch over to snow tires.
The s is on Goodyear eagle gt tires which are all season.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Just use a rattle can and paint some black paint on there, then coat with 3M undercoating spray can. It will look a lot like the factory undercoating.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Definitely get is sprayed with an oil based coating that will seep into all the nooks and crannies. Compare a vehicle that has been coated every other year versus never and you will clearly see the difference.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Just use a rattle can and paint some black paint on there, then coat with 3M undercoating spray can. It will look a lot like the factory undercoating.
Was looking into a 3m undercoating spray but I found only blacked colored ones. If I use that, you can definitely see the Black from the side of the car where the rails are exposed and match the entire body of the car. Is the undercoating considered an oil based sealant?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
Definitely get is sprayed with an oil based coating that will seep into all the nooks and crannies. Compare a vehicle that has been coated every other year versus never and you will clearly see the difference.
think it’s better to get a shop that deals with anitique cars and taking care of cars that are in storage do this. They’ll probably have better tools to get rid of the rust 100% and seal it with a stronger coating than your average spray found in the stores.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

There is a paint used by diy auto restoration guys, call por-15. Buy it online.

With a little prep, it can go right over rust, and prevent its further spread. Its amazing stuff. It comes in a few simple colors, but really needs to be topcoated, as it fades from sunlight. Not that there will be much sun under there.

So you could use that, then topcoat with something similar to your cars color.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

+1 on the Por-15
https://www.por15.com/
I drive our S all winter, we have a drive planned for next week(top down) that will see temps down to 9*f . Take care of the car and it will last for years and years.

ROD

Quick Reply: Driving during the winter