S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Educate a first time snow driver

Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm honestly still surprised I'm the ony one thats mentioned black ice.. lol
Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Location is Detroit, MI. House will most likely be in the suburbs or outskirts of the city. Work is right off the highway.

It was actually snowing when I went for my interview and had no problems with my rental Sentra, although it wasn't very deep.

Also, I have driven in the snow before as I go snowboarding twice a year, but it was always with an AWD.

Last edited by roel03; 12-03-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Winter tires, EVEN if it doesn't know, if your temperature approaches 40's F and below, you need winter tires.

All-Season/Summer tires don't work as the temperature approaches low 40's F.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

engifineer—-I see you’re up in MN—-I’d very likely be running snows if I lived that far north as well!

we get a lot of snow here but it comes in separate distinct snowfalls and they clear the roads quickly and we have frequent periods above freezing so all seasons work well here. As I mentioned, I can count on one hand the times the snow was so heavy I waited til the roads were clear before I ventured out.

But I grew up in the mountains of West Virginia and learned to drive in the snow on winding country roads so driving up here (where it snows more but the roads are mainly flat and level) is a piece of cake.

thanks
Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OP—-Detroit has snow an average of 36 days a year with an average annual total of 42 inches. That means most snowfalls are a couple of inches at most (with the occasional “big one”!)

one option is to put snows on one car and see how your first winter goes—-you might have to share the car with your spouse the two or three days a year it snows heavily but the roads will be cleared of snow in a day or two at most.

then if you find you prefer the snow tires, you can always put them on your other car.

(if you go this route, definitely put all seasons rather than summer tires on your other car—-even if you buy them locally, check out Tire Rack’s customer reviews on tires that fit your car—theres lots of all seasons with 8.5+ snow traction ratings from consumers who live and drive in the north)

Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by jetboater
OP—-Detroit has snow an average of 36 days a year with an average annual total of 42 inches. That means most snowfalls are a couple of inches at most (with the occasional “big one”!)

one option is to put snows on one car and see how your first winter goes—-you might have to share the car with your spouse the two or three days a year it snows heavily but the roads will be cleared of snow in a day or two at most.

then if you find you prefer the snow tires, you can always put them on your other car.
That sounds about right for snow amounts. I'm a good hour away from Detroit and our snow fall amounts aren't bad at all. I've survived 18 years thus far without snow tires, but my DD cars have all been awd (save for one) and I've been fine. RWD I'd suggest snow tires for sure.

We'll usually get 2-3 decent snows during the season, those can be anywhere from 4-10 inches, but they aren't common. 2-3" is typical.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
Location is Detroit, MI. House will most likely be in the suburbs or outskirts of the city. Work is right off the highway.

It was actually snowing when I went for my interview and had no problems with my rental Sentra, although it wasn't very deep.

Also, I have driven in the snow before as I go snowboarding twice a year, but it was always with an AWD.
I live in Milwaukee. We get very similar amounts of snow and face very similar temperatures.

I made it through my first six winters on all-seasons. I never had an accident. That said, the time it took me 25 minutes to escape my work parking lot & another 45 to make my five mile commute home made me want snow tires.

The two winters since have been trouble free.

That said, I wouldn't bother with Blizzaks, the WS80 have not impressed me at all.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I live in Milwaukee. We get very similar amounts of snow and face very similar temperatures.

I made it through my first six winters on all-seasons. I never had an accident. That said, the time it took me 25 minutes to escape my work parking lot & another 45 to make my five mile commute home made me want snow tires.

The two winters since have been trouble free.

That said, I wouldn't bother with Blizzaks, the WS80 have not impressed me at all.
I on the other hand think the Blizzaks kill most all other than the Nokians. The Nokians have gotten a lot more popular recently with my autox friends here in MN, with most preferring the Blizzaks in 2nd place. I have Goodyears on one car and the Blizzaks kill them. But most any of them are better than

I have pushed snow with the bumper of our 2013 Tacoma on Blizzaks and hardly slipped a tire. I am sold on them!

I hear the General winters are pretty good as well and are more affordable.

Basically, any decent winter tire is going to be better than most any all season once you are in full fledged winter. I would definitely consider them moving to Detroit. Like I said, most good drivers can do ok without them, but you will be happier with them, especially when a yayhoo spins out in front of you and you need to stop quickly
Old 12-03-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by jetboater
engifineer—-I see you’re up in MN—-I’d very likely be running snows if I lived that far north as well!

we get a lot of snow here but it comes in separate distinct snowfalls and they clear the roads quickly and we have frequent periods above freezing so all seasons work well here. As I mentioned, I can count on one hand the times the snow was so heavy I waited til the roads were clear before I ventured out.

But I grew up in the mountains of West Virginia and learned to drive in the snow on winding country roads so driving up here (where it snows more but the roads are mainly flat and level) is a piece of cake.

thanks
Yep, temps are the big part. We generally (although global warming is changing this!) are below freezing from now through mid Feb, with Jan/Feb seeing a huge number of single digits to below zero. At those temps, all but winters pretty much feel like crap, dry pavement or not.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I've driven millions of miles in snow, typical grippy wet snow isn't too bad in our region, I'm about 2 hours from Detroit though I often work weekly across the border in Windsor with a highway commute. The only thing that scares the crap out of me is black ice, and rwd can send you spinning donuts if you hit black ice. I would recommend snow tires and dedicated rims for the rwd car, and keep them on all winter don't take them off just because of a warm day. Put them on in December and take them off in April., when temps are higher than 45 degrees F.

The Corolla will drive like a tank through snow, FWD works quite well in snow conditions.

When you get up to the region take the car out in an empty parking lot on a snowy day and get a feel for how it handles in the snow. But nothing can prepare you for black ice hopefully you don't ever encounter it, it often forms on bridges and poorly drained roads, but some weather conditions can make it widespread, such as freezing rain storms. Watch your speed.

Quick Reply: Educate a first time snow driver