S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Educate a first time snow driver

Old 12-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engifineer
Missing the point. I do not care how much "it isnt a big deal" it is 100% better on snow tires. If I can spend virtually no more money (when considering not wearing my other tires as fast) and have much better ability to stop and steer on snow, I will do that. I have spent the last half of my life in MN, autox, etc and would be happy to compete with most on snow driving ability and I still run them. And again, SNOW is not the biggest issue. Deeper snow is easier to drive in than a thin coating to be honest, so the "it doesnt snow that deep often" argument really does not count for much. ICE is a big issue and there is simply no comparing any all season I have seen to winters in that case.

When I moved here, I argued with people too .. maybe because I too had to prove to someone that "I am a good driver, I do not NEED snow tires" lol Then I tried a set and ordered 2 more that year for my other winter driven cars. I will drive circles around most vehicles in snow in my 3rd gen 4runner on all seasons, still have winters on them and it is comical how much better they are.

Totally understand folks not being able to afford them, that is a totally different discussion. But if you can get them, there really is little reason not to.Just makes your life that much easier and safer around all the other crazies on the road when the snow and ice flies.

And people keep talking about "well FWD, AWD, etc". None of that makes any difference in stopping ability. Only your tire compound will make that difference. And AWD cars are typically heavier, making them harder to stop. So again, in arguably the worst case, stopping, the only thing that matters is tires.

And I will continue to be one of those frustrated people stuck behind someone in their AWD or FWD that did not "need" snow tires... zig zagging from every intersection trying to get started .. lol Happens constantly here.

Do what you like, and that is fine. But the whole FWD, all seasons have gotten better, etc just are not valid arguments really. The only part that concerns me is when someone asks and are given poor info in return to their question. And there is a lot of bad info flying around in here!
No, not really bad info, just a dissenting opinion...
Do winter tires make make a difference? Yes, absolutely. 100% better? No, not even close. Just trying to show another viewpoint that is all. What is the other viewpoint? Focus on driving habits as much as you want to focus on driving equipment. My point is this during winter conditions: Steady starts from an intersection, both hands on the wheel, moderate speed (you make the judgement call based on experience and road conditions whether it is 5mph, 10mph, 15mph slower, etc...) change lanes first by checking to be sure it is clear front and back with proper distances, signal first then make a gradual lane change, nothing sudden as than can cause you to spin out. Then, approach all intersections with caution and turns as well and begin tapering off speed earlier than normal and brake gradually and I will get home safely.

My advice I was offering up was to also think about driving differently in winter. As I stated earlier, AWD and 4WD vehicles will end up in ditches on the 2 lane roads I live near in the NW Suburbs of Chicago more often because they think they can drive circles around other cars but forget about stopping, turning and changing lanes. I'm sure those ditches may have been filled with more than a few cars with "winter' tires with drivers who thought they could drive circles around other cars due to their additional grip.

Yes, winter tires will give you better grip, yes it is a scientific fact. Get them if you want. Couple "winter tires" with "winter driving habits" and be safe.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 313

Originally Posted by roel03
Location is Detroit, MI. House will most likely be in the suburbs or outskirts of the city. Work is right off the highway.

It was actually snowing when I went for my interview and had no problems with my rental Sentra, although it wasn't very deep.

Also, I have driven in the snow before as I go snowboarding twice a year, but it was always with an AWD.
I lived in metro-Detroit for a few years, and the AWFUL Michigan roads will be worse than the actual snow. I've lived in a lot of places, and I've never seen crappier pothole and debris-filled highways than in Michigan.

I went from driving for 20 years never needing a windshield replacement, to having to put windshields in 3 cars over a 5 year stint.

You will be fine with all-season tires in central/lower Michigan, but get winter season tires if money is no object.

Oh.... And Michigan has "no-fault" insurance, which means that your auto insurance will be the highest in the country! Google it. That said, stay as far out from Detroit city limits and be careful because NOBODY has car insurance there. I was hit twice and neither driver was insured.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Here are some snowtire suggestions from Car and Driver.

https://www.caranddriver.com/shoppin...er-snow-tires/
Old 01-03-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

LOL - this thread is still going?!