S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The feel of ap1, ap2, CR?

Old 07-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The feel of ap1, ap2, CR?

Hey I just have a question for those of you who have driven all three versions of s2000s. Are there major differences in driving feel between the three? I just wanted to hear some first hand experiences, because I'm sure everybody has their own impressions. For example when you drove an ap2 for the first time while owning an ap1, how did it feel? Vice versa as well. Most people say they feel almost identical, I just wanted to confirm that. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The differences probably feel much greater to the owners on this forum than they would to most non-owners...which cause some "lively" disscussion on the forum...to the point they are not allowed.

Generally though...most describe the ap1 as feeling more raw and twitchy. It has slightly quicker steering, stiffer roll bars and stiffer rear springs compared to the ap2...and a rear suspension geometry that allows "bump steer" on rough surfaces (in reality it is called roll steer, but most get a better understanding of the car's reaction if you call it bumb steer). The ap1 throttle is touchy...it is easy to make the car buck if your foot is imprecise.

Most describe the ap2 as feeling more refined and less twitchy. A suspension geometry change removed the bump steer. Sway bars were softened. Front springs were stiffened and rears were softened. Steering ratio was slowed a hair and throttle "deadened" a bit. To some ap1 drivers, it did make the car feel "softer"...but that is truely relative...the s2000 overall is anything but soft.

I've driven an MY08 with a full CR suspension transplant, but not a CR. To me it is the best stock suspension yet. It returns the "raw" feel of the ap1 without the twitchy. If you come into a corner too slow, it will have a bit of understeer which is easily controllable with the throttle. Yet even with a good bit of effort I was not able to get the tail to feel like it was about to bite me. The way I would describe the feeling is confident. Honda did a great job in the final iteration of the car. I kinda wish it had been this way from the start...but I guess even DiVinci made a few rough drawings before painting the Mona Lisa.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jul 6 2008, 06:50 AM
The differences probably feel much greater to the owners on this forum than they would to most non-owners...which cause some "lively" disscussion on the forum...to the point they are not allowed.

I remember driving an AP1 and AP2 as my test drives. I couldn't detect most of the differences until I've actually owned one.

I kinda wish it had been this way from the start...but I guess even DiVinci made a few rough drawings before painting the Mona Lisa.
Good one hehe. Nevertheless, I do think the CR setup is the best setup.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 AM

[QUOTE=negcamber,Jul 6 2008, 03:50 AM] The differences probably feel much greater to the owners on this forum than they would to most non-owners...which cause some "lively" disscussion on the forum...to the point they are not allowed.

Generally though...most describe the ap1 as feeling more raw and twitchy.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by hellspare,Jul 6 2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks a lot for the information, I really enjoy reading opinions and experiences rather than just facts.

As an ap1 owner, were you actually able to FEEL that the ap2 was softer? How about the torque increase, did you feel that?
You can tell the AP2's suspension is softer, and the steering ratio is a tad slower (though not grossly slower).

As for the torque, it's noticeable as well. But then, there are other factors that went in as well, particularly the gearing. AP1 has a taller secondary gear than the AP2. So even though the first four gears have the same ratios between AP1 and AP2, the AP2 would have a shorter effective gearing and a bit more torquier along with the small bump in displacement.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've owned AP1 and AP2, and drove an SCCA Solo II prepared CR.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=1&t=575458
Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Jul 6 2008, 05:27 AM
I've owned AP1 and AP2, and drove an SCCA Solo II prepared CR.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=1&t=575458

I can't believed I missed your thread while searching. Perhaps it was the 9 page ap1 vs ap2 thread that I read from beginning to end. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Best review / comparison I've read in my opinion !
Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jul 6 2008, 03:50 AM

Generally though...most describe the ap1 as feeling more raw and twitchy. It has slightly quicker steering, stiffer roll bars and stiffer rear springs compared to the ap2...and a rear suspension geometry that allows "bump steer" on rough surfaces (in reality it is called roll steer, but most get a better understanding of the car's reaction if you call it bumb steer). The ap1 throttle is touchy...it is easy to make the car buck if your foot is imprecise.

Most describe the ap2 as feeling more refined and less twitchy. A suspension geometry change removed the bump steer. Sway bars were softened. Front springs were stiffened and rears were softened. Steering ratio was slowed a hair and throttle "deadened" a bit. To some ap1 drivers, it did make the car feel "softer"...but that is truely relative...the s2000 overall is anything but soft.

I've driven an MY08 with a full CR suspension transplant, but not a CR. To me it is the best stock suspension yet. It returns the "raw" feel of the ap1 without the twitchy. If you come into a corner too slow, it will have a bit of understeer which is easily controllable with the throttle. Yet even with a good bit of effort I was not able to get the tail to feel like it was about to bite me. The way I would describe the feeling is confident. Honda did a great job in the final iteration of the car. I kinda wish it had been this way from the start...but I guess even DiVinci made a few rough drawings before painting the Mona Lisa.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, the CR's understeering characteristics can be fixed with a custom alignment. Throw on some 225/255 RE01-Rs with the alignment and you will dominate the stock CR.