S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The fifth to fourth shift

Old 09-27-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two fingers in front, let the stick find its own way.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 PM

Yeah, lets talk about 5th to 6th instead. I have no idea where 6th is, ever. I always double check to see if it drops into 4th. I'm never ever sure I hit 6th. But, 6th to 5th is surprisingly easy... So who knows.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Krenath,Sep 27 2006, 08:07 AM
I'm still getting used to the fact that I even *have* a 6th
I have the opposite problem -- I keep trying to find sixth in my five-speed cars.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carlit0sway,Sep 27 2006, 06:31 AM
i think the hardest shift is into reverse
Same here. I have had this car for 4 1/2 years and I still have to concentrate on finding reverse.

For homecoming last week, I drove a Crossfire convertable. I have always liked the way they looked, but never drove one. The stock version is a nice cruiser, but to get it into reverse you moved it toward you, which isn't all that rare I guess, but you actually have to LIFT the stick to get it into reverse. That is something I never had to do before.

As for the OP, I just shift it back. I don't really think about it.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Purple Haze,Sep 27 2006, 07:06 AM
Hi. I think one of the most crucial shifts is the one going from fifth to fourth. The technique on this shift is very important because an error can lead you into second gear.

I find that the best way to go from fifth to fourth is to first guide the shifter into neutral, and then remove my hand, reverse my hand into a backhanded position, and then guide the shifter into fourth. This way I prevent myself from going into second.

How do you do it?
If I think as hard about shifting as you're doing I'll blow way too many shifts, but if it works for you ... I'd hate to have you try to emulate my shifting style, or anyone else's, and end up missing a shift as a result. I'll be happy to discuss my own shifting, but if anyone damages there car trying to copy I don't want to be held responsible.

Every shift is different, so I can't really say that I do it this way or that. However, on shifts into third or fourth I most often place my hand on TOP of the stick and shift with my fingertips. This almost guarentees that there won't be any side pressure on the stick, so the shifter will naturally slide into the proper gear without any concious effort on my part. IMO the 5-4 shift is the easiest of all the downshifts, but it only takes a little side force on the stick to end up in second; You just gotta let the shifter work the way it was designed to work.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 PM

I think going from 5th to 2nd would be a stretch by far.. I'm sure it has been done before. I think the most crucial shift is from 3rd to 4th. Too many people pistol grip the shifter and end up going from 3rd to 2nd which leads to you know what if you are at the redline in 3rd. This doesn't seem as big of a problem with the s2000 as some other cars, RSX in particular... where seems to be the #1 engine blowing mis-shift.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=xman03,Sep 28 2006, 03:40 PM]I think going from 5th to 2nd would be a stretch by far.. I'm sure it has been done before. I think the most crucial shift is from 3rd to 4th.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM

Idk I just shift and go on with my day. Nothing complicated about it. Use ur fingers and dont put the deathgrip on the knob.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by way2low01,Sep 28 2006, 04:56 PM
Idk I just shift and go on with my day. Nothing complicated about it. Use ur fingers and dont put the deathgrip on the knob.

"Deathgrip" =

It's not good to get a death grip on the shifter or the steering wheel. A big part of driving smoothly involves relaxing and letting it happen. "Let your fingers do the shifting" works pretty well for some people, but again, I don't want anyone trashing their motor because they miss a shift trying to emulate someone else's shifting procedures.

FWIW, the S responds well to a light touch.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:32 PM

It's a mistake to over-analize this. In normal everyday shifting, you want to smoothly and slowly select the next gear. If you are unsure about the gear slow down, go to neutral, and try again. Then when it comes time to "speed shift" you'll have trained your hand. Unless you are on a race track, there's little reason to rush a 5-4 shift. As long as you can get quickly from 1-2-3 you've finished any normal street encounter.

Quick Reply: The fifth to fourth shift