S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

first time in a ap2

Old 10-12-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default first time in a ap2

Ok so yesterday a buddy of mine came over with his 2005 ap2 s2000 so that I could get him a discounted price from Honda on a TCT. I changed it out for him and after he asks want to take it for a spin? I've never driven an ap2, a matter of fact I've never driven any other s2k but mine LOL. Anyways long story short the car is night and day difference between mine and his. I have a 2000 with 139,000 miles his has 65,000 miles but my car feels so much tighter I guess this is the "raw" feeling the ap1 offers you? His gear box felt like a completely different car the stock clutch has almost no resistance in the pedal. To me the ap2 gear felt sloppy compared to my ap1 gear box. Now I'm lowered on CO he's riding on lowering springs so I'm positive that plays a huge roll. As far as the motor goes, the vtec crossover was no where near as loud or powerful as mine. Now am I missing something or is this just an ap2 for you?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:21 PM

My gear box is so tight compared to his. It really is a huge differnce in feel..
Old 10-12-2011, 01:36 PM

IMO, I think all cars are going to feel( at minimum), a little different but no doubt , the biggest difference would be between AP1/2's.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the your perception of the gearbox "rawness" is due to how much smoother the carbon fiber synchros are on the AP2 gearbox. Having gone from an AP1 to an AP2, and now back to an AP1 I must say thing thing I miss the most is the AP2 gearbox.

Regarding your other assessments, I do believe the F22C does not provide the same thrill as the F20C and is much more "refined" and tuned for real life driving, while the F20C is more of a track oriented live between 6k-9k kind of set up. The AP1s general suspension set up is also definitely more "raw". This is why I've gone back to the original.

All things considered, the cars are nearly identical, and both extremely fun to drive. In my search for a good DD, the only car that seemed to come to mind was an AP2 Anything else is boring.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkonis
I think the your perception of the gearbox "rawness" is due to how much smoother the carbon fiber synchros are on the AP2 gearbox. Having gone from an AP1 to an AP2, and now back to an AP1 I must say thing thing I miss the most is the AP2 gearbox.

Regarding your other assessments, I do believe the F22C does not provide the same thrill as the F20C and is much more "refined" and tuned for real life driving, while the F20C is more of a track oriented live between 6k-9k kind of set up. The AP1s general suspension set up is also definitely more "raw". This is why I've gone back to the original.

All things considered, the cars are nearly identical, and both extremely fun to drive. In my search for a good DD, the only car that seemed to come to mind was an AP2 Anything else is boring.
It's worth noting that they tightened up the suspension again somewhat for the 08/09 base models and more so on the CRs, so not all AP2s are going to feel the same either.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:25 AM

I'd take the ap2 tranny but the F20. Why don't you think they kep the F20 for the CR? Do you think it was only a cost thing? It was probably that combined with the typical bigger is better. That and most ppl won't understand why do I want to pay premium for a CR and get a smaller engine.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 AM

Clutch delay valve is also a key reason the F22 feels like it doesn't punch as hard.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 AM

Flywheel/clutch delay, two important changes... DBW was also a substantial change to throttle feel/responsiveness.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DBW has nothing to do with it...I bet in a blind test nobody could ever tell the difference between the two assuming all other variables are constant (no CDV, same clutch/flywheel combo).

My car's overall feel made a big leap when I installed the AP1 slave cylinder to get rid of that stupid delay valve. Whenever I change out my clutch I'll be putting in an AP1 flywheel also.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Syn
DBW has nothing to do with it...I bet in a blind test nobody could ever tell the difference between the two assuming all other variables are constant (no CDV, same clutch/flywheel combo).

My car's overall feel made a big leap when I installed the AP1 slave cylinder to get rid of that stupid delay valve. Whenever I change out my clutch I'll be putting in an AP1 flywheel also.
Agreed with the modifications you mentioned it would be very close. But unfortunately you can never feel the engines vibrations, feedback, and have quite the same overall consistent sensation without a physical throttle cable. Not necessarily a negative, just preference, Ferraris have DBW...

Quick Reply: first time in a ap2