S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Future owner. S2ks hard to work on?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I'm liking all these positive feedback. Making me even more excited to get one.

What about soft top installation and removal? I like the top down look but I also like the hard top for added security. Is it a hassle if I wanted to switch back and forth?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The hard top can go on with the soft top in place. You don't have to remove the soft top.

Hard tops are VERY expensive, though. All in, don't be shocked if it's $4K.

On the valve cover bolts, they're 8.9 lb-ft. That's not much more than finger tight.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:38 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Old 09-16-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy

Thats one of the problems i have with my s2000.... u got to lean in further then most cars to work on the engine and the lowering hood towards the rear doesnt help either. Hood struts would help with that. I get lower back pain when leaning over for a period of time working on the car. Idk if its just me. I cant sit in the engine bay either since im a big guy lol
Old 09-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

some one teach this man the vertical hood trick.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by iridedumped
some one teach this man the vertical hood trick.
What is this trick you speak of? This whole time I've been using a tie down strap hooked between my hood and garage door track
Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

The prop rod can be removed and relocated to another mount and hold the hood in a near-vertical position for easier access. It's a handy trick, but if you don't know where to look, you won't randomly find it. It's been so long since I've done it, I don't even remember the location offhand.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Here you go:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...the-hood-prop/
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iKhaotic
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm planning on picking up an S2000 by the end of the year. I'm pretty competent when it comes to cars, I do all my own maintenance (fluid changes, brakes, etc). My question is, how difficult are these cars to work on if I ever have to fix/replace something that isn't routine maintenance?

A little background: I'm coming from an RSX Type-S. Had this car for about 7 years now and know it pretty well aside from pulling the motor and working on it. Outside of routine stuff, on this RSX, I've replaced/worked on: power steering pump, serpentine belt, radiator, starter, axle, O2 sensors, intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, and the biggest job was taking apart the transmission to replace the final drive gear. That's all from what I can remember over the years.

One of my biggest complaints about the RSX is that the engine bay is super cramped with barely any room to work on anything in there without having to take something else apart, ghetto rigging a tool, or have very small hands.

To those here that have worked on both an RSX and S2000, would you say that the S is easier, harder, or about the same? It seems to me like the engine bay in the S is a bit more forgiving and has more space, but experience is better than assuming, right?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!
By far the easiest car I have worked on. And I have owned a few plus worked on family cars. Sometimes when you do work on it, it almost seems like if the car was made to be tinkered with.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
The prop rod can be removed and relocated to another mount and hold the hood in a near-vertical position for easier access. It's a handy trick, but if you don't know where to look, you won't randomly find it. It's been so long since I've done it, I don't even remember the location offhand.
Close to the fuse box by the battery. I believe there is a small hole by the strut tower where you can post one end of the hood prop.

Quick Reply: Future owner. S2ks hard to work on?